Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida did a fantastic thing for MMA this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He's the champ. He has to do what it takes to win. Cheap or not, him pushing an opponents and permanently injuring them would only further him being the best.
    Marrying or fucking your cousin is legal in over a dozen states, that does not mean it is right.

Fuckin a horse is legal in Florida.

I don't know where I was going with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He's the champ. He has to do what it takes to win. Cheap or not, him pushing an opponents and permanently injuring them would only further him being the best.
    Wow. Really? If those "legal moves" were in fact illegal, let's face it they're one injury away from being illegal just like the rule change with the downed opponent, he wouldn't be champ anymore. Delude yourself all you want Jones is a great fighter but he's no GSP, Silva or Fedor. Without his height advantage and those leg kicks he won't be champ for long.
    "After Overeem lands two knees, Fujita backs into the corner then sheepishly tries sneaking past. Alistair punches him back into the corner and lands a third knee that I swear lights on fucking fire before it impacts.". -cracked version of the climax of Fujita vs Overeem fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    I get nervous when I see security guards at Target.

Quote Originally Posted by somethindarker View Post
    What poppycock. A jab, back step or feint works just as effectively. Fact of the matter is Jones waits til there is forward momentum before he does it, when have you ever seen him use it as part of a combo to start something? Jones uses his fingers to choke opponents he also grabs gloves and smother people with his hands. Sure it's not illegal but it's a scumbag thing to do trying to win the fight by seriously maiming and opponent. I've talked to a couple of people who've rolled or sparred with him during training he never does it because he knows he can seriously hurt people.
    I agree that he shouldn't be doing that shit in practice. It's too dangerous. People shouldn't be getting hurt during training when they aren't even getting paid for it. When it's in the cage you gotta do what it takes to win.

Quote Originally Posted by somethindarker View Post
    Wow. Really? If those "legal moves" were in fact illegal, let's face it they're one injury away from being illegal just like the rule change with the downed opponent, he wouldn't be champ anymore. Delude yourself all you want Jones is a great fighter but he's no GSP, Silva or Fedor. Without his height advantage and those leg kicks he won't be champ for long.
    He'll find other techniques to exploit that other fighters are honorable to use. He the GOAT at LHW for a reason.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Even though Jones's use of those front kicks pose a serious risk to the opposing fighter, that opposing fighter is a grown ass man, who at this point knows that kick will be coming and it's perfectly legal. If you don't like the technique then find a way to block it, avoid it, use it yourself, or do your best to make the kick illegal. Now, heel hooks also have an incredibly high potential for serious damage do the knee and ankle that can end a career, yet I don't see anyone crying about legal techniques like that.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Learned two things in this thread:

1. People will find a way to justify anything if they want.

2. I'm definitely moving to Florida!!

Now, heel hooks also have an incredibly high potential for serious damage do the knee and ankle that can end a career, yet I don't see anyone crying about legal techniques like that.
    Your logic has a HUGE GAPING FLAW- Submissions have the opportunity to tap prior to injury. They are defined as "a hold applied in order to force submission due to pain or TO PREVENT INJURY."

The oblique kick does not afford the opponent that luxury. It's specifically designed to hyperextend the knee joint causing injury or permanent damage.

The object of a fight sport is not to maim and kill using techniques that cause permanent damage. The object is to win the contest using superior technique, determination, gameplan, and skill.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 10-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Learned two things in this thread:

1. People will find a way to justify anything if they want.

2. I'm definitely moving to Florida!!

Your logic has a HUGE GAPING FLAW- Submissions have the opportunity to tap prior to injury. They are defined as "a hold applied in order to force submission due to pain or TO PREVENT INJURY."

The oblique kick does not afford the opponent that luxury. It's specifically designed to hyperextend the knee joint causing injury or permanent damage.

The object of a fight sport is not to maim and kill using techniques that cause permanent damage. The object is to win the contest using superior technique, determination, gameplan, and skill.
    A flaw, maybe, but huge and gaping, I respectfully disagree. A heel hook has the potential to do damage before a tap happens. If done properly and by a strong enough individual, ligaments can tear quicker than a tap. So while I do agree that it's not the same thing, I propose that the risk of damage is equal to that front kick, or more. Has anyone been seriously hurt with that kick? If so, I wonder what the rate of injury of that kick is compared to other strikes/submission holds. (is that kind of information even available) Personally, I think the kick is dirty as well, but the fact that it is legal in the rules, in my opinion, means that I can't be mad when someone does it, nor should the opponent. And I'm aware that it doesn't make the strike "right" but until the rule is changed there isn't too much anyone can do about JJ, or anyone else for that matter, using that kick.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Therefore, you and I have essentially agreed if you would read my initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

A lot of the times fighters don't have a chance to to tap before the damage is done when they are in a heel hook or other leg submissions.

Yes, because Jon Jones is actively trying to maim and kill guys with the oblique kick. He uses it to stifle their forward movement and throw off their footwork and movement. It is his using technique, game plan and skill. It's tactical, albeit dangerous and reckless.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Way to paraphrase and miss the point. +1 to you!

Thread Information