Thread: Recent signee Tatsuya Kawajiri wants Cub Swanson in UFC debut

Default Recent signee Tatsuya Kawajiri wants Cub Swanson in UFC debut

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...n-in-ufc-debut

As MMAjunkie.com first reported, PRIDE and DREAM veteran Tatsuya Kawajiri (32-7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), currently ranked No. 12 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA featherweight rankings, recently signed with the UFC. Now he wants No. 4 ranked Swanson (20-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC).

He stated his case on Twitter, referencing Swanson's WEC 37 victory over Hiroyuki Takaya, who's one of Kawajiri's buddies.

As he wrote on Twitter: "I want to fight with @CubSwanson. He won the hiroyuki takaya in WEC. Takaya is my friend."

Seems like a silly thing to ask for. He's going to need an easier start than that in the UFC. Not to mention that it would be a big step back for Swanson.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Seems like a silly thing to ask for. He's going to need an easier start than that in the UFC. Not to mention that it would be a big step back for Swanson.
    Crusher is a top 10 or so FW. Considering Swanson has losses to the top 3 (Aldo, Mendes, Lamas) and Edgar is locked into fighting Penn, I'd say a fight with Crusher makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

It would be an entertaining fight but Swanson would dominate Kawajiri
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    It would be an entertaining fight but Swanson would dominate Kawajiri
    Oh yea, I have little faith in JMMA, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Cub Swanson was known for 2 things prior to his 5 fight win streak:

1. Get choked out by Pulver
    2. 8sec KO to Aldo

I applaud Swanson for his current winning streak, but those who say he is out of Kawajiri's league are dellusional. TK has been fighting top talent in the 155lb division with Aoki, Gil, Thomson. He would give Swanson one hell of a fight.

If the fight takes place in an Asian market (Singapore, Japan, Macaui) I would give TK the edge, as fighting in front of an Asian crowd might put less pressure on him.

Oh boy, this would be a helluva fight.

Swanson's in a bad spot right now, because despite his excellent and impressive run as of late, he's still dropped major losses to the top three in the division(Aldo, Mendes, Lamas) and I regard him as a step behind all three ranking and skill set-wise.

IMO, Crusher is going to come into the UFC and either do one of two things: He's either going to come in, look impressive at FW and really make a run with his exciting and powerful style, making fans along the way and getting some OTN bonuses off the bat.....or he's going to falter against the UFC's top FW fighters and flounder due to increased competition, age, wear and tear and the weighcut made presumably stateside.

This matchup benefits both fighters, it either gives Swanson a recognizable and credible win against a respected veteran and adds to his strong case for top contention while the FW division sorts itself out or it gives Crusher an impressive UFC debut win, solidifying his place in the top tier at FW and opens up a slew of really exciting match ups, as his style is fun as hell to watch.

I'd book it, but I see them lobbing Crusher a softer first bout.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from Kawajiri. I just think he would benefit from starting off with an easier opponent. You know, give him a chance to shake off the octagon jitters and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Report: Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Hacran Dias set for UFC Fight Night card in Singapore
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/4...ght-night-card

Thread Information