Thread: Donald Cerrone 'absolutely' dropping to Featherweight after Evan Dunham fight

1. Default Donald Cerrone 'absolutely' dropping to Featherweight after Evan Dunham fight

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/28/5...nham-fight-mma

Donald Cerrone plans to turnover a new Featherweight leaf in the New Year.

"Cowboy" -- who stands nearly 6' -- announced earlier this evening during a "UFC 20 Years" online chat with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fans that he intends to test his mixed martial arts (MMA) skills against much smaller men.

"I just think I can really dominate down there," said Cerrone. "Most people lose a lot of fights and they run down. I'm going to go to 145 after a win and see. I'll still be at 55, though, I'll play back-and-forth. Why not? Go get the belt."
    Cerrone is a 10-fight Lightweight veteran inside the Octagon, collecting six "Fight Night" bonuses during that span. He has been victorious on seven of those occasions and often flirted with top 155-pound contender status.

However, huge losses to Nate Diaz -- who next went on to compete for a division title -- and then Anthony Pettis -- who next went on to win the belt -- have dashed his championship opportunities. But, perhaps, his most recent unanimous decision loss to Rafael dos Anjos at UFC Fight Night 27 made him think that a change of scenery will do the trick.

And he knows making the 145-pound division limit is no walk in the park.

"[145 pounds] is going to be a lifestyle change," Cerrone admitted. "No more Bud Light and Budweiser's. No more eating random food. No more late nights with Dave Sholler eating at Wendy's. Those are all things that are going to have to change."
    Cerrone is already lined up to fight Evan Dunham in a Lightweight match set for UFC 167, which takes place at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Nov. 16, 2013. Cerrone and Dunham will headline the pay-per-view (PPV) "Prelims" portion of the under card, a demotion of sorts for an exciting fighter who is accustomed to primetime placement.

Once the match concludes, Cerrone plans to make the drop win, lose or draw. And he already has the blessing of key company executives.

"I've talked to the PR team and [matchmaker] Sean Shelby," Cerrone said. "And he's like,'As long as you can make the weight healthy, we don't want to see you in there dying.' Kenny Florian made it, I'll probably look worse than him. Tell Mike Dolce, and I want it for free, this will be the ultimate test."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

As long as Cerrone stay's focused I am more than fine seeing him do whatever in regards to switching divisions. I would hope that he does well though at 145 and maybe see him put it all together and win a title, very exciting fighter.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

3. Default

Cerrone is a MASSIVE LW though. He looked HUGE against Anjos, and drawn out from the cut. I just don't know how he gets to 145 safely.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

If he can make a healthy weight cut I think he'd be an absolute killer at FW. With that said, I have always thought he looked pretty big and lean at LW so I'm not quite sure how he would make it down. Maybe he doesn't cut much weight to get to 155?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Even if he manages the weight cut ok. He isn't winning the title at FW either. Mendes and Aldo are way too good for him. This is coming for a big fan of Rice.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I like rice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Yea he's a pretty awesome fighter.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I don't think Cerrone will do well at FW. I've never been impressed with him, I've currently got him ranked somewhere between 15 and 20 at LW, closer to 20. But I don't think he'd be nearly as successful at FW as even his meh performances at LW.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Thread Information