Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alessio Sakara possibly retiring following first round submission loss

1. Default

I think the UFC really missed the boat doing Sakara vs Bisping a ways back (Sakara on a 3 fight win streak) in Italy. He's one of their biggest athletes and would be a great market to break in to.

Outside of that, I would be surprised he sticks around. I would imagine he is gonna be cut anyways 0-4 in his last 4 either way looking at the Cote fight.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I actually admire sakaras heart and recently began rooting for him to be more successful. He's just absorbed so much over the years.

Classy guy and a loss for mma.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I actually admire sakaras heart and recently began rooting for him to be more successful. He's just absorbed so much over the years.

Classy guy and a loss for mma.

That is just it, left it all out there for the fans. I thought this recent fight was very fun to watch and was glad it didnt end in a tko/ko.

Still not sure if I think UFC will cut him. Dana didnt seem to agree with the Cote DQ (if I remember correctly) so they may give him a pass on that loss .... and his last fight was entertaining.

Sakara has always been a gate keeper. He never really got a streak going to make waves. He does have good hands but he gets bettered in his feet. Getting some thing going at 205 seems unlikely.

He is probably going to be cut. I dunno if he needs to retire. He might do decently in Bellator or another small promotion. He needs to do what's right for him.

I could understand him not wanting to end up leaving the sport with a 5 fight losing streak. He's given us some good fights for sure, but he might not have much left in the tank unfortunately.

4 fight losing streak
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Too long of a losing streak to be an active UFC fighter either way.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Tell Leonard Garcia that.

That guy should have been cut way before he did. Prior to being released, he has 2 bullshit split decision wins in 10 fights.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I'm not debating that but I will call a spade a spade. (not necessarily you so don't take offense)

Lots of people always sing the "it's a business and they have to entertain" song when they see someone they don't like get cut a la Fitch and Okami but then, a guy who is CLEARLY exciting win or lose goes on a losing streak and they want to throw around records and say they should be gone. Wandy, Hardy, Garcia, and Sakara come to mind.

I wish there was a right answer here but, unfortunately, it's in the hands of the powers that be and many folks simply accept the spoon they are fed and buy into whatever reasoning is provided.

Thread Information