Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida: 'Vitor Belfort is the best option for me right now'

1. Default Lyoto Machida: 'Vitor Belfort is the best option for me right now'

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/2...munoz-mma-news

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida is coming off a big win over friend and training partner Mark Munoz in his middleweight debut at UFC Fight Night 30. In an interview with Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting, Machida talked about what it was like to fight his friend, and what he thinks his best options are going forward. First, he discusses the bout with Munoz:

"It was tough to deal with it when they offered me the fight, but after that I got mentally prepared to do my best in there," he said. "I have a huge respect for Mark Munoz and I had to do my best inside the Octagon to honor him as a friend. Win or lose, I had to do my best there.

"I have fought my brother some times before," he said. "We got hurt some times, needed stitches, but it was normal after the fights. We always had a positive rivalry that pushed both of us to our best.

"I had do that secret move to win because he knew my game."
    On the move to 185:

"I was No. 1 in the light heavyweight division for a long time, fought for the title several times, but moving down to 185 was the best option for me right now. Iíve fought all the best at 205 so this is like a new career for me."
    Who does he think he should fight next? The same man Dana White suggested - Vitor Belfort:

"Vitor Belfort is the best option for me right now," said Machida. "I want to fight him. It would be the best fight for me right now because heís well ranked in the middleweight division. No hard feelings, Iím thinking whatís best for my career and where I can get with a win. Even if Vitor loses to Dan Henderson, Iíd want to fight him in our weight class."

"A win over Vitor Belfort puts me in front of everybody in the rankings, but letís see what happens," he said. "Itís too soon to talk about it because Anderson Silva is too far away from me right now. Even if he wins, I donít know for how long he will want to keep fighting. I havenít talked to him for a long time. I donít know how itís going to work, we have the same managers. I rather not to talk about it now. When we get there, weíll figure it out."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Fight of epic proportions!

Joe Silva, make it happen!

Um, yes please!!!!

Vitor wilts like a fall flower.

oh my god yes please. One step closer to the epic fight of Machida vs Anderson Silva at Middleweight. UFC make this happen!

This fight is too good to be true. I wish we could see it at least twice.

Similar to the Silva/Belfort fight, the winner would most likely be determined by who lands the first critical strike. I wish we could just slap two titanium jaws on the both of them and watch fireworks for 3-5 rounds.

Great, fun fight. Please make it happen!
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

This fight would be like Christmas, thanksgiving, and new console launch day all rolled into one. Plllllease let this happen.

Yes to this! I want to see Machida's elusiveness put against Vitor's striking. I'll pull for Machida to kickfuck Vitor to sleep.

As long as it's a 5 round fight in America or Canada, Machida should take this. A three round co-main event in Brazil? Vitor's got a great shot at landing the big one and putting Machida out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

Thread Information