Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georges St-Pierre vs. Ben Askren? UFC champ weighs in on potential fight

Default Georges St-Pierre vs. Ben Askren? UFC champ weighs in on potential fight

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...m-with-matchup

"Of course (I'd like to fight him)," St-Pierre told MMAjunkie.com. "He's a good fighter, undefeated, and yes, if he comes, I'll fight him. No problem."

Askren hasn't been shy when it comes to his desire to fight St-Pierre, as he tends to call out or poke fun at the French-Canadian on social media whenever the opportunity presents itself.

St-Pierre, who next fights Johny Hendricks on Nov. 16 at UFC 167, hasn't been goaded into responding to Askren's antics, but that doesn't mean he's unaware of what's going on.

Askren is considered the top welterweight currently not signed to the UFC roster, and many fans are curious to see how the 29-year-old two-time NCAA Division I national wrestling champion would do against the division's kingpin and No. 1 ranked fighter.

Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney is so confident Askren would have his way with St-Pierre that he even said he would release the fighter from any contract matching rights if he were presented with an immediate title fight against "Rush."

The challenge was brushed off by White, and it seems likely that, should he sign with the promotion, Askren's quest to UFC gold will follow the same path as other contenders.

But in the event Askren does ink a deal with the UFC, St-Pierre is open to giving him a shot at the belt whether it's one, five or 10 fights down the line.

"Bring him in; I'll fight everyone," St-Pierre said. "I am the champion, and I have no choice, so it's no problem. I'm not afraid."

...St-Pierre said. "I am the champion, and I have no choice...
    In before RH objects to this statement.

http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/...s-past-weekend
    Watch Ben Askren completely demolish the 2013 NCAA Division I 197-pound wrestling champion this past weekend

Awesome link cat.

Askren is such a fucking freak on the mat. He rolled him for what 8 straight points?
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

im not sure what those rules were in that match.. it seems like freestyle but its not current rules (each round is separate and you have to win 2 rounds or pin.. and whats up with the break between rounds??) and demolish?? I know there were a lot of points but that's normal in freestyle where you only have to expose the back.. Ben clearly won but he was taken down a couple times and lost his position a few times...

GSP seems much more explosive with his takedowns plus he is able to set them up with strikes so this didn't really instill a lot of confidence for me for the fight vs GSP

side note im happy that wrestling is doing stuff like this though... it was always the problem with wrestling is that it didn't have an end game outside of the Olympics so stuff like the PPV really helps keep wrestling alive

Ummmm......those were collegiate scoring rules.

Watched again, you are correct....they must do some weird shit of their own.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 10-29-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Lets also recognize the fact Wright is the 2011 & 2013 NCAA Div 1 champ... Askren, as mentioned in the article, is years past his college days and competed at 197lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Ummmm......those were collegiate scoring rules.
    ummmm college is folkstyle... so was this freestyle with folkstyle scoring??

Fila wrestling rules for winning
    A bout may be won by:
    a) a "fall"
    b) by injury, withdrawal, default, disqualification of the opponent.
    c) by technical superiority
    d) by points (winning two periods by 1 to 5 points difference)

Lets also recognize the fact Wright is the 2011 & 2013 NCAA Div 1 champ... Askren, as mentioned in the article, is years past his college days and competed at 197lbs.
    he called out Kyle Dake after the match.. Dake is a freaking monster 4x Natl champion and 4 different weights... I don't think Askren would be able to beat him though

Sorry, I was watching again and it was weird. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Sorry, I was watching again and it was weird. See above.
    no worries =D I kinda panicked and thought that I coulda been wrong >_< I wonder how that match would have turned out if the match were folkstyle since it was stood up quickly due to the rules and he probably would have gotten 2 back points on the tilt but not much else

Thread Information