Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Georges St-Pierre vs. Ben Askren? UFC champ weighs in on potential fight

Quote Originally Posted by singinkangaroooo View Post
    im not sure what those rules were in that match.. it seems like freestyle but its not current rules (each round is separate and you have to win 2 rounds or pin.. and whats up with the break between rounds??) and demolish?? I know there were a lot of points but that's normal in freestyle where you only have to expose the back.. Ben clearly won but he was taken down a couple times and lost his position a few times...

GSP seems much more explosive with his takedowns plus he is able to set them up with strikes so this didn't really instill a lot of confidence for me for the fight vs GSP

side note im happy that wrestling is doing stuff like this though... it was always the problem with wrestling is that it didn't have an end game outside of the Olympics so stuff like the PPV really helps keep wrestling alive
    i've always thought they get get people to watch it in a freestyle tournament on ESPN

Any how i think there were "international freestyle wrestling rules"

http://www.agonwc.com/?page_id=192

Take a look at this page and you'll get a little insight on the AGON group.

Seems they have their own rules and are attempting to help wrestlers transition to MMA while holding their own events.

What I find most interesting is that it's widely regarded that the numerous different rules and changes in wrestling were a strong contributing factor to its being removed from the Olympics. A group like this only serves to further muddy the water.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    http://www.agonwc.com/?page_id=192

Take a look at this page and you'll get a little insight on the AGON group.

Seems they have their own rules and are attempting to help wrestlers transition to MMA while holding their own events.

What I find most interesting is that it's widely regarded that the numerous different rules and changes in wrestling were a strong contributing factor to its being removed from the Olympics. A group like this only serves to further muddy the water.

one of the things that wrestlers have been known for in MMA is their endurance... and imo I attribute that to the lack of time between rounds... its probably less then 15 seconds between rounds and that creates incredibly conditioned athletes.. I hope that this rule set does not continue in that sense...

I also think that the "each round is different" approach could lead to more entertaining bouts (eg. Askren vs Wright maybe Wright could have won round 2 and made the match more entertaining) I think this event was a step in the right direction but needs some adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by singinkangaroooo View Post

he called out Kyle Dake after the match.. Dake is a freaking monster 4x Natl champion and 4 different weights... I don't think Askren would be able to beat him though
    Well hes got an "in" to help make it happen.

Leadership team

Commissioner – David Dean
    Associate Director – Ernie Ciaccio
    Director of Marketing – Max Askren
    Rules Interpreter – Adam Tirapelle
    Matchmaker – Ben Askren
    Social Media Director – Yogi Leake
    Public Relations Officer – Bryan Lindsey

Thread Information