Thread: UFC 167′s Sergio Pettis Ready To Get Out Of Brotherís Shadow and Make His Own Name

Default UFC 167′s Sergio Pettis Ready To Get Out Of Brotherís Shadow and Make His Own Name

http://www.bjpenn.com/exclusive-ufc-...+NEWS+BLOGS%29

Q: Whatís your thoughts on your upcoming UFC debut against Vaughn Lee?

ďIíve been preparing for this my whole life. Since I was a kid all I could think about was fighting in the UFC. I definitely have to impress in my first fight, Iím looking past that. Iím looking forward to get to these title contention fights, making my name for myself. I wanna get out of the shadow of my older brother and make a name for myself. Sergio Pettis is definitely coming on the scene this monthĒ.

Q: They didnít really give you a gimme fight, Vaughn Lee is a good, pretty solid fighter, thatís who youíre gonna debut against. Thoughts on him.

ďVaughn Lee, Bruce Lee, I donít care. Iíve been grinding, Iíve been training since I was 13 years old with Pat Barry, Anthony Pettis, all the guys that are doing pretty good in the UFC, and Iíve been training with the guys since I was a kid. Iím ready to go, I wish the fight was next weekendĒ.

Q: Whatís going on with your weight class? Are you staying at Bantamweight or will you be dropping to Flyweight?

Ē I feel like I can make my name better at Bantamweight. Iím 20 years old, Iíve been cutting weight for a while. Iím feeling stronger at 135 so why cut down to 125 when I can make my name at a weight class thatís already established. Iím gonna open some eyes,make some waves next month and get a title shot in the next two yearsĒ.

Q: Getting to the UFC was the goal, fighting alongside your brother, get in the same card together.

ďUFC wasnít the goal, my goal is to become the champ. Iím not into this to become a contender, Iím not in this to become number two, we told each other we would be the best in the world. The best brothers in MMA and Iím not gonna let my brother downĒ.

When asked about how the Pettis brothers compared to other brothers in the sport, Sergioís answer was a definitive one.

ďWe are the youngest guys to hit the scene, weíve got the world in front of us right now.we can make our names bigger than all the guys. It just all depends on how we compete

In the octagon. I respect everybody that can do this sport, especially brothers in this sport. Everybody fighting me thinks of my brother, if they beat me they can say they beat a Pettis. Only time will tell how far the Pettis brothers will take the sportĒ.

When questioned about confidence:

ďAt this stage if youíre not confident you shouldnít be here. My brother tells me that everyday. You donít think weíre the best in the world, then why are we doing this? Iím 20 years old, I sacrificed a lot to be where I amĒ.

What is your time frame to accomplish your goals of being a champion?

ďDuke Rufus has a time frame in his head and I donít question him. When he thinks itís time then Iíll be readyĒ.

How do you see your fight going down?

ďMy fight Iím training to do nothing but the best. I know Iím in a new league and guys are gunning for me, and I need to perform at the best of my ability. If I donít win this fight Iím not only disappointing myself but Iím disappointing the world. My hands gonna get raised at the end of the night, I donít know how itís gonna get done, but definitely it will be raised at the end of the nightĒ.

Read more at http://www.bjpenn.com/exclusive-ufc-...sUfojrIKPT6.99

I'm going to start calling him Lil Pet.

ill always remember him as being that awkward kid who just followed anthony around without saying a word on 'world of jenks'

I never saw that show but damn.....Sergio has some serious skills these days.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I never saw that show but damn.....Sergio has some serious skills these days.
    it was a great episode it documented pettis' life and trainign and preparation for his fight against danny castillo in the WEC.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    it was a great episode it documented pettis' life and trainign and preparation for his fight against danny castillo in the WEC.

World of Jenks with Anthony Pettis was a fantastic episode! actually lets you get to know Anthony Pettis, his life and struggles.

Thread Information