Thread: Cole Miller rallies against 'unqualified' judging: 'It changes the way MMA is fought

Default Cole Miller rallies against 'unqualified' judging: 'It changes the way MMA is fought

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/3...hanges-the-way
    Cole Miller rallies against 'unqualified' judging: 'It changes the way MMA is actually fought'

"I knew I had to win," Miller said on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour. "I've kind of been up and down, but I've only been up and down because of what some 50 and 60-year-old judges have said about my fights. If you actually went back and looked at them, as far as I'm concerned, this is four wins in a row."

At face value, it's easy to dismiss Miller's complaints as simple excuses of another disgruntled fighter. But take a closer look at his UFC Fight Night 26 loss against Manny Gamburyan, and Miller actually has a pretty legitimate point.

Forget the fact that Miller outstruck the Armenian and battered Gamburyan from bottom position for three rounds. The real controversy came at the end of the opening frame, when Miller essentially knocked out Gamburyan with a pair of seemingly legal elbow strikes against the cage.

Gamburyan slumped over in Miller's corner holding the back of his head, while Gamburyan's cornermen rushed across the cage to aid their fighter. In the end over two minutes passed before Gamburyan answered the bell for the second round, despite the fact that only one minute is permitted by the commission.

"I thought I won that (fight against Gamburyan) and so did the media. So did everybody, in fact; Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, everybody came back and told me what was up," Miller said. "I read all the play-by-plays from the media. They all said that I won the fight and that I won every round of the fight, so as far as I'm concerned, I had momentum going into this fight.

"These [officials] want to say that I ‘lost,' but I'm the one doing all the damage."

Miller ultimately appealed the Gamburyan loss to the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission and is currently awaiting notice of the outcome. Although Miller does take away a sense of grim satisfaction by the fact that several of the points he brought up are being addressed in the commission's next meeting.

Nonetheless, the obvious error by commission officials, which was even admonished by UFC President Dana White, coupled with what Miller found to be a frustrating scoring criteria -- one skewed towards takedowns and top position instead of activity and damage -- led Miller to his belief that the system in place is beyond broken.

"They're not even qualified to be making the calls they're making," Miller said of MMA judges. "That's kind of disgusting and that's really unfortunate in our sport, because it changes the whole landscape of our sport. When you have unqualified people judging mixed martial arts, it changes the way that mixed martial arts is actually fought, because fighters are now adjusting their styles to please people that don't know anything about our sport.

"Then coaches are training their fighters to please these people that don't know anything about our sport. Right? And people want to think, ‘Oh, he's just bitching. He's just complaining because he hasn't won these fights in a while.' Look, you can keep all these decisions. I'm a martial artist, and I walk out with my head held high. I fight my kind of fight.

"I love this sport," Miller continued. "I really do. And I want to see it make progress. I don't want to see it regress. With the judging in mixed martial arts, and how coaches are coaching the fighters, and how fighters are manipulating and molding their styles to please people that know nothing about MMA, it makes the sport regress. That's really unfortunate, and that's something that I've been seeing for a long time, and it really makes me sad."

It's true, though, that despite however legitimate Miller's gripes may be, the fact remains that he desperately needed to increase his stock at UFC Fight Night 30. And he did just that, not only impressing in victory, but also by playing the promotional game so many fighters, for some reason, avoid.

Instead of answering Joe Rogan's post-fight questions, Miller launched into a tirade against the slew of European fighters that dot his résumé, eventually calling out the UFC's Irish sensation, Conor McGregor.

It was the most unexpected of promos, drawing a rancorous response from the Manchester crowd, and it even caught the attention of McGregor, who wasted little time responding to Miller via Twitter.

"[McGregor] came out and he called everybody else out. Two of those people he called out are my teammates, Nik Lentz and Dustin ‘The Diamond' Poirier. And that offends me," Miller said.

"People are talking about how great he looked. You didn't finish a 21-year-old kid with eight MMA fights. And now people are talking about you get to fight for the belt, and fighting top-10? And you're going to call out two people that train on my team, that are my homies? Na, you don't get to skip all that after not finishing a 21-year-old kid with eight MMA bouts, and then just skip and get to fight Dustin Poirier and Nik Lentz, and talk crap on these guys. Because those guys will murder you."

While Miller was quick to point out that he'd rather stay busy and fight before the end of the year than wait for McGregor to heal from knee injury, the 15-fight UFC veteran made it clear that he'd be ready whenever McGregor was able to return.

"Clearly I think that he's a good fighter," Miller concluded. "But do I think that he deserves to get flown here and there, and get to just skip to the front of the line? No, not at all. I think he needs to be tested.

"I don't know if he's overrated. That's the problem. But I don't think that he gets, after two fights -- [not] even two finishes in the UFC -- to just jump to the front of the line and fight these top name guys. You need to be tested, and be tested by a real seasoned fighter."

Miller is absolutely right, and that Gamburyan fight is one of the 5 worst judged bouts I can think of.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think Mark Ratner needs to step his game up. If he/UFC/Dana White do not want a judge to be on their show, the AC should honor that and oblige.

If anyone is to blame here its the UFC, not the AC.

The AC is the one that employs incompetent judges. There is enough blame to go around.

Seems like the issue with judging is never going to change.

It's always been "fuck the judges" all these years and counting.

So tired of how it has negatively affected so many fighters and streaks.

Don't forget your gambling!

Haha, yeah, those inconsiderate assholes. Don't they know I'm trying to win easy money to fuel my other vices? Sheesh!

Actually, thanks to dumbass judges, I won an 8 pick parlay on the GSP/Diaz card. It was the Camozzi/Ring fight. Won 600 bucks cause of bad judging. I think it has helped me another time or two as well...

But I'd rather the sport be purified than my greed be satisfied...

I guess.

Conor McGregor's solution to bad MMA judging: 'Scratch judges and time limits, let fighters scrap until one breaks' http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/31/5...ime-limits-ufc
    He offered up his opinion on the matter during a recent Q & A (watch it here) while in Manchester, England for UFC Fight Night 30:

"It's definitely good to put the judges under the spotlight and make them accountable for their actions. It will make guys more cautious and more hesitant to score the guy correctly. There is big business on the line here and a loss is crippling, know what I mean? Me personally, I would love to scratch it all and do no time limit, no separation, no nothing. Let the contest go and it's over when it's over. People say, ‘We want a finish!' Trust me, someone will break, no time (limit), a man will break."

Cole Miller responds vigorously following denial of Mass appeal

http://www.colemillermma.com/cole-mi...showed-plenty/

Cole Miller vs Manny Gamburyan Appeal Denied For “Inconclusive Evidence” Even Though The Video Showed Plenty

This is Cole Miller.

I recently filed an appeal with the state of Massachusetts Athletic Commission for what I feel is an obvious violation of the rules as stated in Massachusetts handbook for Mixed Martial Arts and Unarmed Combat. This violation… also obviously… changed the outcome of my fight against Manny Gamburyan.

My appeal was denied due to, “inconclusive evidence.” The only way to come to this decision would be to completely ignore the crystal clear VIDEO EVIDENCE.

It is my opinion that if the same athletic commission were trying to find a fighter guilty of a rule infraction – the exact same level of evidence would have been deemed OVERWHELMING.

For that reason, I would like to give the details of my appeal.

Here is the breakdown of what happened in between the first and second round of my bout with Manny Gamburyan this past August in Boston.

The appeal was to the decision to let the fight continue after more than 2 minutes had gone by when a fighter is to receive 1 minute. If the fighter can not continue after one minute the fight must be stopped.

You can see all the rules for which I am citing at the bottom.

The TS and the lengthy numbers are referring to Timestamps which references video provided by the UFC of the bout.

Also, I wasn’t allowed to argue this, but the judges gave Manny Gamburyan the decision, one giving him the nod for every single round. I was told by Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta I had won the fight. All major MMA websites scored the play by play for me 30-27 winning every round.

Note that below I list 8 rules that were broken in the Massachusetts handbook for Mixed Martial Arts and Unarmed Combat. However Massachusetts has decided that my appeal is Denied based on “INCONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE.”

Also Massachusetts is looking into addressing several of the points I brought up in my appeal to change in their rules and regulations.

As stated above, my main argument is that the fight should have been stopped between the first and second rounds by the referee, and I should have been declared winner by technical knockout(14.15)(Timestamp of first round end: 17.39.03.06).

This is because my opponent was in no condition to continue and was unable to compete following a one minute rest(14.18).

He was also given an extended period of rest which lasted 2 minutes and three seconds roughly from the time the first round ended and the second round began.(16.03(3))(TS:17.41.06.00).

Now as I stated before I do not fault referee Yves Lavigne as he had so much “traffic” to clear up is how I word it.

Following the legal blow as indicated from Yves Lavigne to me, and from the video provided, I behaved in a method of what many were saying as “too nice.”

After dropping my opponent I was gently supporting him by the armpit as he lay at my feet. This is for several reasons.

I label myself as a Martial Artist first, and a Fighter second. Mr. Gamburyan is a Judo black belt, one of the few men still fighting since the 90′s, he fought for the world title, and was also my roommate on the Ultimate Fighter Season 5 for two months. Although we may not be close friends I have much respect for him. Also I have done this long enough to know that what a fighter sees under heightened senses may not be what actually happened, so if I did hit the back of his head as his symptoms indicated, (video confirms legal blow) I wanted to come off as apologetic and let it be known I would never maliciously break the target zone of legality.

This is where we get to Yves Lavigne having to deal with the “traffic.”

Following the end of the round Jacob “Stitch” Duran (Gamburyan corner) can be seen entering my corner area(TS:17.39.11.13) rushing to his fighter’s aid(14.09(3)),(14.08(3)).

After his cornerman provides aid… two physicians can be seen helping the injured fighter and evaluating him but not consulted by the referee(TS:17.39.21.00).

Then at (TS:17.39.26.29) Rhonda Rousey (Gamburyan second) can be seen in the cage in my corner area as well rushing to the injured fighter(14.12),(14.08(3)).

I feel that if Yves was not dealing with all the violations that were being committed by the seconds (14.07), that he would’ve been able to ask the doctors right then and there if Gamburyan was able to continue following symptoms at (TS:17.39.30.22).

I think if he was able to consult the physician at that moment then they would have said Gamburyan was in no condition to fight at the one minute point.

I was going to get a Physician to write a letter describing symptoms of a blow to the side of head/temple/ear area and how it affects a fighters equilibrium and that the symptoms are consistent with his behavior (to rule out Gamburyan faking).

I however do not want to seem disrespectful to the Massachusetts physicians, I simply do not have access to them. Furthermore, Rhonda Rousey, can be seen with her back to mine in my corner while I receive instructions(TS:17.39.43.20).

Gamburyan does not even get to his feet until (TS:17.39.55.02) and is not in his corner until (TS:17.40.02.12) which is the one minute point.

Therefore for 55 seconds of my one minute break, it was spent with Gamburyan and two of his seconds in my corner, with one of them directly next to me while i received instructions.

After all of this Yves asks everyone to clear the cage, in which the doctor begins to leave as well (TS: 17.40.13.06).

Finally the Dr. is asked to evaluate the injured fighter (TS:17.40.21.22) roughly one minute and 20 seconds into the break. The doctor does a 45 second evaluation after having already evaluated the fighter previously but was not asked by the referee due to the referee controlling “traffic” due to the Seconds violating so many rules.

Also I am uncertain I just wanted to point out that I was unable to hear the audible signal from the timekeeper to the referee that the rest period was almost over but i can only hear so much going on with the audio in the video with the commotion going on(14.10).

Not trying to put blame on that individual either with so much going on I’m just indicating furthermore how difficult it is to be a referee and having to deal with so much going on at one time.

A one minute break to determine to continue or stop a contest gave the fighter well over 2 minutes and he was able to get his wits about him. I believe that he was in no position to continue the bout following the legal blow and that the doctors were in no position to give the referee their opinions because the referee was dealing with so many infractions committed by the seconds.

14.15; Determination to Stop Contest or Exhibition;Injury to Unarmed Combatant: The referee shall determine whether a contest or exhibition should be stopped because of an injury to an unarmed combatant.

14.18(portion regarding Failure to resume Competition):”… If an unarmed combatant fails or refuses to resume competing when the bell sounds signaling the commencement of the next round, the referee shall award a decision of technical knockout to their opponent as of the round which has last been finished…”

16.03(3)Duration: A period of unarmed combat in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts must be five minutes in duration. A period of rest following a period of unarmed combat in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts must be one minute in duration.

14.09(3) Duties of ringside Physician: If an unarmed combatant appears to have been injured during a period of unarmed combat, their manager or second shall not attempt to render aid to him before the ringside physician has had an opportunity to examine them.

14.08(3) Limitations on seconds: A second may not coach excessively from the corners during a period of unarmed combat and must remain in their assigned corner area during the period of the contest.

14.12 Persons Allowed in Ring(non quote): Only one Second is allowed in the ring between rounds.

14.07 Conduct of Chief Second and Assistant Seconds; Instructions to Unarmed Combatants by Referee:” The referee shall, before starting a contest or exhibition, ascertain from each unarmed combatant the name of their chief second, and shall hold the chief second responsible for the conduct of the assistant seconds during the progress of the contest or exhibition…”

(uncertainty)14.10 Warning before Start of a Round: Ten seconds before the beginning of each round the timekeeper shall give warning to the seconds of the unarmed combatants by blowing a whistle or by utilizing some other type of audible device by the Commission.

This was nicely done by Cole, even if it amounts to nothing that impacts the record book. I would have liked it better if he never mentioned damage or made any references to dana or Lorenzo--they're not qualified to make any type of authoritative statement on the outcome of a fight--but he broke it down in a way that a good AC could use in it's training program.

I do hope he drops it though. I'm a Cole fan, but I'd like him to move on before he gets labeled as a whiner. He'd get better mileage by asking for a rematch where he can put a more definitive stamp on Gambuyran.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information