Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hector Lombard Wants Condit And Kampmann in Next Fights

Default Hector Lombard Wants Condit And Kampmann in Next Fights

http://www.bjpenn.com/exclusive-hect...+NEWS+BLOGS%29

And it has been a long time coming, Lombard’s entrance to the UFC. He was originally slated to face one of the top UFC fighters, Karo Parisyan, in 2005. Due to visa issues, however, Lombard was unable to compete.
    “Yeah people forgot about that,” Lombard said. “People always say [about me], ‘Bellator fighter’… I was supposed to fight in the UFC like in 2005. If people do the math… it’s 8 years. 8 years ago, I was supposed to fight for the UFC, but because of visa issues, I couldn’t fight. But UFC had its eye on me a while ago. I don’t know sometimes the people what they talk about, to be honest. In 2005, I was supposed to be fighting in the UFC. Unfortunately it didn’t happen, and 8 years after that, I’m fighting in the place that I always wanted to fight.”

Of course, eight years and some 30 plus fights later, Lombard has made it to the UFC. But the UFC has proven to be a bumpy road for Hector Lombard. Few fighters garnered the sort of attention that Lombard did coming into the UFC; and with countless people watching as he debuted against Tim Boetsch at UFC 149, many MMA fans were left wondering what the hype was about. Following the split-decision loss to Boetsch, Lombard would go on to defeat Rousimar Palhares with a devastating first-round KO, but he would then go on to lose a decision to Yushin Okami.

That loss prompted Lombard to drop from middleweight to the 170-lb. limit at welterweight. The result was a first-round knockout over his first welterweight opponent in former Strikeforce champion, Nate Marquardt, earlier this month at UFC 166.

About that fight, Lombard said he felt good with his performance, especially given the pressure that his 1-2 record up to that point had him possibly fighting for his job.

“I mean, it feels good and I’m quite happy to do my job in the UFC,” Lombard told BJPenn.com Radio. “I’m not too sure, but I would have [been cut] maybe. I want to stay in the UFC for a long time, you know, and I want to keep fighting… and entertain[ing] my fans.”

Leading up to the fight, there were reports that Lombard had been struggling to make the drop to 170 lbs. Lombard said that, although it was difficult, he felt motivated by people’s doubts.

“It was really hard, you know, but every single time I… suffer, when I feel tired, when I feel I couldn’t make it, I would go to the computer, and I would check all the people talking bad about me, and I would get the motivation to fill me up and keep going. So I’m quite happy that people doubted me, it keeps me motivated and keeps me in the place that I want to be.”

By defeating Marquardt, Lombard certainly entered the welterweight division with a substantial splash. As far as who is next for the Cuban-Australian fighter, he has his sights set on someone who can bring him up into the top of the division.

“I think that Carlos Condit is high ranked, right? OK, I’ll take Carlos Condit,” Lombard had said during the interview about the UFC’s No. 2 ranked contender. Lombard also said that he would be willing to fight Condit’s most recent opponent, Martin Kampmann, who is currently ranked 7th.

As far as sizing himself against the division’s long-time champion, Georges St-Pierre, Lombard had some reservations.

“I don’t want to talk about that,” Lombard said, “because, you know, I have a long time to get there. I want to get one of those guys [Condit or Kampmann] first.”

Of course, if Lombard is able to continue the momentum he has found at welterweight, he could be fighting his way into the division’s top ten sooner than later.

For Lombard, the success he has found inside the cage comes from his style of fighting; and despite his extensive background in judo, Lombard prefers to fight on the feet. He says it’s more exciting.

“My style of fighting has nothing to do with judo. I love judo, and I’m always going to love judo, and I’m always gonna be calling myself a judo player. I trained that sport for seven years. I went everywhere in judo, and I competed at the highest level. But, I don’t use judo at all. I knock people out. I like to be exciting. That was my goal a long time ago, I want to be exciting, and I want the people to want to watch me fight. Unfortunately judo is not as exciting as MMA. So I tried to develop a style where [people] would come see me fight. So I started training stand-up, and I got myself an instructor. That’s how I like to fight, I don’t like to grapple. I like to stand up. If somebody has to get KO’s, somebody has to go out.”

As for how he – a man who entered this sport with a background in grappling – has been able to find the power to score 19 professional KO’s, Lombard says it comes from relentless training of strength and power.

“I think I was like training and develop[ing] my strength and my power, you know, it’s like Ronday Rousey,” Lombard said, citing fellow judoka and the UFC women’s bantamweight champion. “She lifts bodies all her life, you get to the point when you’re stronger than everyone else. She’s done it for so many years that it gets to the point she’s like four times stronger than all the guys she’s gonna face. And that is because she’s been training longer and harder than every single other [person]. Put it this way, she’s been training since she was five, or whatever, lifting bodies and training hard three or four times a day. There’s no way any other women can claim that. So I tried to kind of like a lot more in striking all the time, punching the bag and doing those things – more striking than anything else to develop that strength, that power.”

As far as what’s next for Lombard, he said that unfortunately he won’t be on the UFC’s return to Australia this December. The UFC brass told him that the card was already full. But he will be returning to the Octagon soon, saying that he doesn’t like to sit around and relax.

“I believe that, when you [do] one thing, you go all the way or no way. I don’t want to go out there and party… or be at the clubs saying, ‘Oh, you guys see my last fight, how great I was?’ I don’t want to do none of that.”

Read more at http://www.bjpenn.com/exclusive-hect...y2ftsCvK40g.99

So he hask's for someone with no td's or tdd I suppose that means give him Pierce or KOS?
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I'd watch those fights

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'd like to see Lombard/Kampmann. I don't think it would end well for Martin because of his tendency to get into brawls in the first round. Even if he changed his gameplay to where he'd utilize takedowns, it'd still be hard with Lombard's judo background. And that would potentially help him get into the top ten, which could help him get a fight with Condit after Kampmann (especially if Matt Brown pulls off the victory).

But I think Condit beats him via decision by keeping him on the outside and frustrating him like Nick Diaz. A five inch reach advantage in that fight lends itself to Condit's advantage.

As for other fights, how about Ben Askren if he comes over from Bellator? That'd be an awfully interesting fight to me. If not, then Ellenberger, Lawler (if Rory Mac beats him) or Koscheck may be good fights as well.

I think the best thing to happen to Lombard at WW was Demian Maia's loss, as ZUFFA is kind of short on contenders right now and I wouldn't be surprised if they fast track him to a title shot, given his style. Since the two guys who had yet to face GSP that had great chances of getting next dibs were Maia and Kampmann(had he beaten Condit), ended up getting knocked out of contention for the time being, ZUFFA is going to have to get creative.

If Lombard gets one more win against somebody in the top fifteen, I think he's got a chance at being given a shot…. I view this matchmaking quite similar to what Lawler's position with a win(albeit a longshot) over Rory would be. I think ZUFFA would take a hard look at hotshotting one of these guys right into a title fight.

Personally, I don't see GSP fighting too much longer. After he beats Hendricks, I think there's basically Rory(in what could very well be billed as GSP's retirement bout for extra buys), a possible rematch with Condit(which I don't think draws), Matt Brown or Lawler(who I don't see getting past their next opponents in the slightest) and MAYBE Stungun with another win, but he's not the most bankable draw unless they do GSP/Stungun in Korea.

Since it looks like Askren will have to sit out a good chunk of the next year and will probably have to take a fight before getting an immediate shot, the guy to get the next shot could be somebody from left field, depending on if a few upsets occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I think the best thing to happen to Lombard at WW was Demian Maia's loss, as ZUFFA is kind of short on contenders right now and I wouldn't be surprised if they fast track him to a title shot, given his style. Since the two guys who had yet to face GSP that had great chances of getting next dibs were Maia and Kampmann(had he beaten Condit), ended up getting knocked out of contention for the time being, ZUFFA is going to have to get creative.

If Lombard gets one more win against somebody in the top fifteen, I think he's got a chance at being given a shot…. I view this matchmaking quite similar to what Lawler's position with a win(albeit a longshot) over Rory would be. I think ZUFFA would take a hard look at hotshotting one of these guys right into a title fight.

Personally, I don't see GSP fighting too much longer. After he beats Hendricks, I think there's basically Rory(in what could very well be billed as GSP's retirement bout for extra buys), a possible rematch with Condit(which I don't think draws), Matt Brown or Lawler(who I don't see getting past their next opponents in the slightest) and MAYBE Stungun with another win, but he's not the most bankable draw unless they do GSP/Stungun in Korea.

Since it looks like Askren will have to sit out a good chunk of the next year and will probably have to take a fight before getting an immediate shot, the guy to get the next shot could be somebody from left field, depending on if a few upsets occur.
    This is exactly why I think they should do Lombard and Kampmann. I think Kampmann will fold and it elevates Lombard even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    This is exactly why I think they should do Lombard and Kampmann. I think Kampmann will fold and it elevates Lombard even higher.
    I don't think they would want to make that fight and run the risk of lowering Kampmann's stock any more. He's a fan favourite but he's already lost two in a row and giving him a third loss in a row would make it pretty hard to sell him against another big name opponent. I think they're more likely to put Lombard up against someone like Stungun, Maia, or Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I think Condit beats him in a very non-competitive fight.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Not Kampmann! He needs to fight somebody that doesnt have dynamite in his hands.

Praying for Thiago Alvez, but that probably won't happen.

Robbie Lawler comes to mind as a close second to Alvez. Guarantee that fight doesn't go the distance lol.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Thread Information