Thread: Gilbert Melendez and Khabib Nurmagomedov want to fight each other

Default Gilbert Melendez and Khabib Nurmagomedov want to fight each other

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/3...fight-mma-news

. In an interview with Fox LA before the Sanchez fight, Gil was asked who he'd like to face if he got by Diego and didn't get the shot. Here's what he said:

"I know this up-and-comer by the name of Khabib, I think people would like to see that match up. You know, he's not the biggest name so business-wise it's probably not the best move, but I'm intrigued by it. It would be a great challenge, everyone's hyped up on him. Him and Pat Healy were two guys on winning streaks, and they fought each other and he won. So he's a guy up there."

Seemingly in response to that, Nurmagomedov turned to Instagram to respond with a mocked up poster:

I'm all for it.
    Both are great. I love the beastly streak that Khabib has been on(his whole career).
    I don't like that Gil is part of the Scrap Pack, but he usually looks good in his fights.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

for the #1 contender spot. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

That would definitely be one hell of a fight. Both want it, and it makes sense, so this fight must happen soon.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I still think he's next for a title shot, but if he doesn't want to wait then make it happen. It'd only strengthen his case for a shot if he beat Khabib. And it'd certainly help Khabib if he were to win.

Great matchup! Both guys are hungry, and want that title shot. I'm glad Gil has the guts to call out a "below the radar but tough as nails" type of fighter like Khabib.

I'm gonna lean on Khabib for the mild upset. I think his grappling might be a bit stronger. His standup is reckless but he pushes the pace a lot, and seeing how Josh Thompson did the same in the 3rd matchup and made Gil tire out, I think Khabib can do the same. I would love to see this as 5 rounder main event on fight night card.

I like Khabib alot, but his striking looked quite pisspoor in the Healy fight, he seemed to be eating tons of needless shots from a guy not known for his striking. Pit him against the Gildozer and I think Melendez pops off an obscene amount of output and just outboxes him, avoiding the clinch and outworking Khabib until his tank runs out.

Now with that said, Gil isn't the biggest LW and if Khabib could get hands on him, he could be in trouble of getting bullied around a bit in the clinch, working the sambo-style , but I think Gil's still too fast and has too much well rounded skill at this point. IMO, striking would be the difference maker.

Just to be clear, I meant #1 contender shot after TJ gets the shot that he's already earned.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

This is a hell of a fight. Why this topic doesnt have 40 replies is something I dont get!

Thread Information