Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Barnett subject to WADA testing for all of 2014

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default Barnett subject to WADA testing for all of 2014

    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...r-all-of-2014/

    UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett was licensed today at a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing, subject to unpredented drug testing. Barnett appeared before the board via telephone, to get licensed to fight Travis Brown at UFC 169 on Dec 28.

    According to the official motion, Barnett will be "subjected to enhanced, intensive, weekly testing by the WADA lab at the expense of Mr. Barnett or UFC and that he also be subjected to random testing by the Nevada State Athletic Commission through Dec. 31, 2014 to be paid by him or the UFC."

    MMAJunkie's John Morgan broke the story.


    Barnett and his attorneys appeared in person as the 16-year veteran addressed in detail his previous failed post-fight drug tests in Nevada in 2001 and 2002, as well as a 2009 pre-fight test in California.

    Barnett maintained that the failed 2001 and 2002 tests were due to the use of supplements that were later reclassified as anabolic steroids while contending the 2009 test was likely due to contaminated supplements. "The Warmaster" said he now largely avoids supplements due to the past issues and does not ever intend to petition the commission for a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy, despite his age.

    He also maintained there would be no further excuses moving forward.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,518

    Default

    I know he's earned it but that does seem pretty harsh.

    Knowing how dumb an excuse it really is, I sometimes do actually wonder how many dirty substances were out there in the late 90's and early 2000's. Zero regulation and research into their ingredients certainly left incentive there for it to happen. I have no history of baldness in my family and had little to no acne but, when using AndroStack 850 and a few tribulus stacks developed both.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South of the border...
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Funny how a single hot piss was the downfall of Affliction...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginmortal View Post
    Funny how a single hot piss was the downfall of Affliction...
    Yea, because the horribly low PPV buyrate and the massive amount of salaries paid out in the first 2 events, followed by reports of low ticket sales and a projected low PPV rate and massive salaries being paid out again in the 3rd event had nothing to do with the guys over at Affliction using Barnett as a scapegoat to save face for a failed bid into the MMA world :-/

    IMO, as SJ has just said the guy is deserving of this kinda treatment, but I think the reason why the AC is coming down hard on him (and I think they did same with Overeem) is because how much his name has been thrown around for failed tests due to steroid use. DW constantly trashed the guy about being a juicer and let's face it, anything DW says makes headlines. There are other repeat offenders who should also be subjected to these tests (Leben, Bonnar, Belfort, just to name a few) who arent heavily scrutinized, mainly cause their names arent always thrown under the bus the way Barnett's has.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    I guess Barnett wants to try and clear his name and prove that he is legit these days. I know he has claimed he has never done steroids but I don't think anyone bought that, especially with 3 or so positive tests.

    Anyways, good for him. He was not someone I would have expected to do this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedogg900 View Post
    I guess Barnett wants to try and clear his name and prove that he is legit these days. I know he has claimed he has never done steroids but I don't think anyone bought that, especially with 3 or so positive tests.

    Anyways, good for him. He was not someone I would have expected to do this.
    Barnett did not volunteer for this he was ordered to do it by the NSAC.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Lol. You made your bed josh. I'll keep rooting for ya anyway

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Barnett did not volunteer for this he was ordered to do it by the NSAC.
    Ohh ok I see now. I did not realize the NSAC could do that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I know he's earned it but that does seem pretty harsh.

    Knowing how dumb an excuse it really is, I sometimes do actually wonder how many dirty substances were out there in the late 90's and early 2000's. Zero regulation and research into their ingredients certainly left incentive there for it to happen. I have no history of baldness in my family and had little to no acne but, when using AndroStack 850 and a few tribulus stacks developed both.
    I had to cut down to just using ZMA and Tribulus. Bacne no more. Moody no more... but that has to do with other circumstances.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 10-31-2013 at 09:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedogg900 View Post
    Ohh ok I see now. I did not realize the NSAC could do that.
    They can decide whether to grant a license or not and in doing so put conditions on giving one out. That's how they were able to catch Overeem.

    Hopefully they make use of the surprise tests and keep Barnett honest. He really should be subject to random testing for the remainder of his career at this point.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •