+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi official from UFC Brazil event on Feb. 8

Mousasi can play the precision/counter/waiting game just as well as Machida, and his handspeed on his counter jabs is a serious danger, even to Machida. This is a much riskier fight than the one against Belfort IMO
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Gegard Mousasi uses karate sparring to train for Lyoto Machida

"I already know how Machida fights style-wise," Mousasi told MMAFighting.com, "and I have a training partner that has fought him twice in karate, so I will be ready for him."

Mousasi is also training with Satoshi Ishii, who has trained in the past with "The Dragon" at Black House in Los Angeles, but he hasn’t called Ishii to get inside information from Machida’s training camp.

"That was a long time ago, and that’s now why here’s here for," he said. "We’re helping each other. I’m already training and in shape. It’s basically getting shape now, and then concentrate in my fight."

Few fighters were able to stand and do well against the Brazilian, but Mousasi is confident his aggressive style will help him.

"I’m more of a kickboxer, he’s a counter puncher," he said. "He takes his time and has good feeling of distance. My style is to come forward and keep the pressure, so I think I’m gonna match up really well."

Mousasi returns to middleweight after going 10-1-1 in the light heavyweight and heavyweight divisions over the last five years, and his performance against Ilir Latifi wasn’t one of the reasons why he decided to move down.

"I gave some weight advantages to my opponents, so I’m gonna be physically stronger in this division," he said. "And I don’t need to cut much weight, this is my natural weight division. I’ll perform at my best at 185."

"The Dreamcatcher" won’t rule out the possibility of fighting at 205 pounds again, but his focus is in the middleweight division.

"I’m gonna concentrate at 185, but I have no problems fighting at 205," he said. "But I wanna make a title run so doesn’t make sense to change weight constantly. I’m going for the 185-pound belt, that’s my goal."

Chris Weidman puts his title on the line against Anderson Silva at UFC 168, and Vitor Belfort is already waiting for his shot at the gold. Mousasi knows there’s a chance he earns a title shot with a win over Machida, and he’s willing to sit and wait for the opportunity.

"Vitor Belfort is going to get the next shot and I think my fight against Machida is gonna determine the No. 1 contender, but it could take a long time," he said. "After this, if I win, I’d have to wait for a long time. I’ll concentrate on this one. But if I have to wait for a title shot, I’m gonna wait.

"It’s not up to me. Personally, I would like to get a title shot. I think I’ve done enough. But that’s not up to me. First I have to perform and win in a good fashion, and then we’ll go from there."

Really looking forward to this fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Machida is light years ahead of Mousais in the striking department. Machida by tko

Quote Originally Posted by calpat1985 View Post
    Machida is light years ahead of Mousais in the striking department. Machida by tko
    I think Machida is light years ahead of Phil Davis and Jon Jones as well, but he never came close to a (T)KO against Davis and got caught by a Jones well timed punch, and he doesnt even have the life's worth of striking experience that Machida has.

I remember the Jones fight. So excited about the first round then Jones realized he can wrestle

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I think Machida is light years ahead of Phil Davis and Jon Jones as well, but he never came close to a (T)KO against Davis and got caught by a Jones well timed punch, and he doesnt even have the life's worth of striking experience that Machida has.
    Machida was his own worst enemy in the Davis fight... he fights way to cautious against guys he is a better all around striker then and he gets beat because he allows the other guy to be more active in doing so (Davis, Rampage) or barely scraps by with a decision (Henderson). A slightly more confident and aggressive Machida beats pretty the vast majority of fighters at 185 and 205.

Machidas knees to the midsection lost him the Davis fight. To powerful of a wrestler in Davis to not get the takedown being in that close.

I called for this fight years ago, but many on this board were of the opinion that Mousasi wasn't ready yet for the Dragon. Fair enough, but I called it back then and I'm calling it now, Mousasi wins this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    I called for this fight years ago, but many on this board were of the opinion that Mousasi wasn't ready yet for the Dragon. Fair enough, but I called it back then and I'm calling it now, Mousasi wins this.
    I think he's UFC caliber, but I don't think he's on that Machida level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information