Thread: Cruz confident that cage rust won't be an issue heading into UFC 169

Default Cruz confident that cage rust won't be an issue heading into UFC 169

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/3...-rust-no-issue

When asked about his thoughts on cage rust, Cruz was dismissive of the idea, telling Inside MMA:

I feel that cage rust is something that's brought up to give odds makers something to bet on. I think you can work it completely out of your system as long as you're in training camp and training correctly. The biggest part about ring rust is the mental part. I think a lot of that comes from not being able to control your adrenaline, not being able to understand where you are at, not being able to relax at the right times in the fight when you need to, and you can figure all of that out, not only mentally by training your mind, but in camp you put yourself in those predicaments and rough situations. You fight out of them and that's how you prepare for ring rust. It won't be an issue and I will be ready on the night of the fight.

Beside cage rust, odds makers and fans will consider how the surgery and rehab will affect Cruz's fighting style. Cruz's footwork has often been lauded as one of the major contributors to his 19-1 record as a professional fighter.

Cruz feels his footwork will be just as good, if not better than when he last fought:

You know my footwork is as good as ever. The biggest thing is getting your timing back, getting your rhythm back... your reaction time without thinking. That's what takes time to get back and that's what the camp is going to be about. But as for footwork, it's all exactly where I left it and I've got some new tricks up my sleeve.

I was 2 rows up for Barao v. Wineland.
    Barao looked good; but Eddie Wineland is no Domenic Cruz.
    I will take Cruz in a 3rd rd stoppage. At least that will be where my money is.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I was 2 rows up for Barao v. Wineland.
    Barao looked good; but Eddie Wineland is no Domenic Cruz.
    I will take Cruz in a 3rd rd stoppage. At least that will be where my money is.

H.
    I'm all for picking Cruz to win, but he isn't exactly the finishing type and Barao is a beast.

Cruz is gonna be so rusty Barao better get a fuckin tetanus shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

i cant imagine there being no ring rust at all. i unofrtunately think barao takes it in an unfufilling fight where we don't see dominic fighting at his top level.

Wonder how that leg is doing. The last picture I have seen of Cruz was of his leg's severe atrophy.

Thread Information