Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones claims 'Lil Nog' was booked to give 'Mauler' easy fight while protecting rematc

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    you're right you must not remember how the division was because at the time when Jones was given the shot the LHW division was considered one of the deepest divisions inside the UFC - now that Jones has cleared a division minus Glover its looked at as one of the weaker divisions in the UFC. How can a fighter be ranked #1 contender when that said contender's highest ranked opponent isnt currently in the top 10 of the division?
    when Jones was given the shot, the guys ruling the division were Shogun, Machida, Rashad, Rampage. Forrest was done as a contender. Liddell and WAnderlei Silva were long done as contenders. Hendo, Mousasi, Fejaio were all in the UFC. Bader and Jones were up and comers. Phil Davis and Goose were fresh faces in the UFC. Thiago Silva was nothing more than a middle of the pack fighter. Guys like Hamill, Jardine, V-Mat, Vera were outside of the top 10.

Now it's Jones, Glover, Goose. DC, Davis, and Rashad are 1-2 wins away. Hendo fought 2 close fights which coulda gone either way but he is still 2-3 wins away from a title shot. Machida and Mousasi are MW now. Shogun, Bader are struggling LHW but they are still in the top 10. So I dont know how you say Bader is not in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    He won the Bader fight, beat Rashad and TKO'd Tito................ Answer your question?
    He lost the Bader fight which was over 3 years ago now... so even if you do think he won it should hardly be considered that relevant when it was so long ago.

A win over Tito Ortiz at that point is his career means very little and again quite some time ago.

Yes he beat Rashad, but can hardly point to that fight and say Nog looked great.

Jon Jones: UFC Saves All the Dogs for Me, and Everyone Else Has Easy Matchups
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-easy-matchups
    In the UFC’s light heavyweight division, Jones believes he is the only fighter consistently facing top opposition:

I feel like they save all the dogs for me, and they just give the toughest guys the easiest matchups to get a title shot, Jones tells Helwani. Let’s see some of these top contenders fight each other. Either way, I’m going to fight the toughest dudes anyway so it doesn't matter what journey they’re on, but I definitely am noticing that it just seems like these top contenders aren't really fighting other top contenders at all.

I would say Nog has definitely improved since his UFC debut. His TDD was awful and against Brilz but looked alot better against Bader and Davis. His boxing is just as good as it ever was.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Would rather have seen Teixeria and Gustafsson go at it before Gus got the title shot, but I understand the concept of prospect building was at play.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    you're right you must not remember how the division was because at the time when Jones was given the shot the LHW division was considered one of the deepest divisions inside the UFC - now that Jones has cleared a division minus Glover its looked at as one of the weaker divisions in the UFC. How can a fighter be ranked #1 contender when that said contender's highest ranked opponent isnt currently in the top 10 of the division? Like i said previously - its apples to oranges.

And to answer your original questions; Yes DC does needs a fight at 205, and imo it should be more than one fight. Lil nog is a throw away fight, it baffles my mind that somehow a guy who has had one fight since 2011 can somehow hold onto a #5 ranking in a division - i dont care how shallow of a division it is. And Jones said he would give the rematch after Glover, it does not matter what you or anyone else says about Jones/Goose 1 as Jones was the winner and there was no need for an immediate rematch - because lets be real we have seen WAY CLOSER decisions then the one we saw that night that didnt result in rematches
    You kind of strengthened my point. When Jones was given the title shot he was a fairly new person with out top 10 wins and the lhw division WAS stacked.. the title shot could have and probably should have easily been given to someone else. Now the division is trying to build itself back up and Glover is one of the few guys who has an actual winning streak.. not just 2 or 3 wins, an actual streak. Like I said, if anything Glover deserves his shot more than Jones did.

Jon Jones was the most deserving replacement at the time. Bader had just beaten Nog and was top 10 when Jones walked through him. Bader was probably # 6 or 7 at when they fought.

Rampage had just lost to Evans, and had a very lack luster win over Machida where he mount almost zero offence. Lil Nog had a recent loss to Bader. Machida just lost to Rampage. Davis hadn't had a big win yet. Atleast not one that was big at the time. His win over Gus is a big win in hindsight. Bader just lost to Jones. Gus hadn't fought a top 10 fighter other then his loss to Davis. It was at the time where it was a deep division but no one was able to get a good win streak going over the top 10 guys.

It was case of Jones being the most deserving, even if he wasn't really deserving.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

jones is wrong about this. the division has gotten very thin. with his win over rashad, nog is actually a top 5 guy in terms of MMA math. easy fight? probably but its not like there were clearly higher ranked fighters being passed on to give nog this fight.

9. Default

Once again, the stupidity flowing from the mouth of this spoiled little kid has given me a reason to _NOT_ buy his ppv.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    jones is wrong about this. the division has gotten very thin. with his win over rashad, nog is actually a top 5 guy in terms of MMA math. easy fight? probably but its not like there were clearly higher ranked fighters being passed on to give nog this fight.
    Machida has said he is still willing to fight at 205 I think he should have been used as an opponent for Gus or Cormier. He's a more credible opponent then Lil Nog. Phil Davis was also an option

Thread Information