Thread: Browne subject to WADA testing prior to UFC 168

Hybrid View

Default Browne subject to WADA testing prior to UFC 168

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...or-to-UFC-168/
    Last week at a meeting of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Josh Barnett was cleared to be licensed on the condition that he undergo a drug testing regime at his expense. It was later announced that the UFC will foot the bill, but also looks like they will foot the bill for the testing for his opponent, Travis Browne as well:

Travis Browne (15-1-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC), who fights Barnett (33-6 MMA, 5-1 UFC) on the pay-per-view event's main card, will participate in the same WADA-certified program ordered for the ex-UFC champ by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, manager John Fosco confirmed with MMAjunkie.com.

As with Barnett, the UFC will foot the bill for Browne's testing, NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer also confirmed with MMAjunkie.com.

"I think it's a great idea, and I'm a big supporter of it," Browne said in a statement released through Fosco. "I think our sport and the commission taking actions like this is putting us ahead of the game compared to other sports. We're not putting out a fire. We're attacking the problem before it becomes an epidemic."

read entire article...

Browne continues to add wrinkles to game
    Browne’s laid-back style and warrior spirit is a juxtaposition that fits in well with the Zen-like atmosphere of Jackson and Winklejohn’s.

“It was the perfect fit for me,” Browne said. “They encourage creativity and teach you to believe in yourself, your skills. The coaches are on board with experimenting with different things. So I asked Winklejohn to teach me a new skill for Barnett.”

“Heat-seeking knees” was the response.

“I try to do different stuff for every camp,” Browne said. “Always add something you can use. Train smarter, harder.”

He will have to first get through Barnett, a grizzled 16-year MMA veteran who has fought wars in nearly every fight league that’s existed -- Pride, Pancrase, Affliction, Dream, Sengoku, Strikeforce -- and held the UFC heavyweight title in 2002 after defeating Randy Couture.

Barnett is an oppressive grappler, with 20 wins by a multitude of submissions. He also is a devastating striker, as evidenced by his most recent demolition of Frank Mir at UFC 164. In many ways, Barnett contrasts with Browne like day and night. If Browne is a lover and a fighter, the fighter part will have his work cut out for him.

At 6-foot-7, Browne’s length and 79-inch reach gives him some safe distance to gauge Barnett’s striking. However, in the clinch there are few better than Barnett. That’s fine with Browne.

“I want to be the best and fight the best. I have momentum now,” Browne said. “To stop me, my opponent is going to have to finish me to win.”

I think Browne is a Beast and this fight could go either way, but for some reason I just see Barnett ripping a hole through this dude.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Thread Information