Thread: Michael Bisping Wants to Hold Judges Accountable for Their Scoring

Default Michael Bisping Wants to Hold Judges Accountable for Their Scoring

UFC middleweight Michael Bisping would like to hold judges accountable for their scoring.

“Sometimes a fight happens and I look at it and I think clearly this guy won and all the judges will give it to that guy. But one judge will give it to the other guy, maybe 30-27. I think that judge should be pulled to one side at a hearing of some sort and told to explain why he gave it to that guy, break it down round by round,” said Bisping during a recent question and answer session in Manchester, England.

“Make him watch the fight and say, why on Earth did you score it for that guy because he clearly lost. So why did you do it?” added the Englishman. “He should be held accountable is what I’m saying. If he can’t back up why he scored it that way then he shouldn’t be a judge anymore.”

Bisping (24-5) has been involved in some close decisions, perhaps even controversial ones. His losses to Chael Sonnen, Wanderlei Silva and Rashad Evans were closely contested bouts that he ended up on the losing side of the judges’ scorecards. But Bisping isn’t talking about close fights that don’t go a fighter’s way. He’s talking about bad decisions.

“Anytime that it’s a close fight, you can’t be bitter about it. The guy did a good job, regardless of who the opponent is, I’m saying, and if the judges felt it went that way, it went that way. You’ve just got to get on with it. There’s no point in crying about it,” he said.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/michael-bis...-their-scoring

I agree Judges should be reviewed after every event and tested as to why they scored they way they did. Would be educational for the judges and weed out the clueless ones.

They don't have the time to properly take notes so that will be a sticking point.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

i agree with Bis on this. This is the most unaccountable job outside in the f-n world!
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

There should certainly be accountability and a method for benchmarking that these judges understand what/why they make the decisions they do and ensure they know what the hell their doing. That however would ruin the old boys club for a bunch of these long time boxing judges who are there for a free meal and a pay cheque. NSAC would never push something that would impact their inner circle like that.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

well why couldn't they have a short hand for strikes, sig strikes , take down attempts, successful take down defense, sub attempts, sub escapes etc...?? wouldn't that sort of quick note taking and maybe 15-30 seconds more between rounds increase the accuracy of decision making amongst the judges??

this again goes to that fact that the judges need to be qualified to judge an actual fight not a boxing match.. there needs to be some way for the judges to take quick notes for a round and use that system to remind them of how the round actually went and how to judge it properly...

this goes to (what a lot of people want/suggest) a governed body that is accountable based on sport specific rules to increase the legitimacy of our sport.. we all know judge reform is needed (Dana and Joe Rogan point this out constantly) so something along these lines would lead us in the right direction imo

7. Default

I would prefer to see some sort of standardized education for new incoming judges. Wasnt Big John working on a ref/judge school?

Was just watching the history of the ufc on Fox Sports 1. Let's keep all of the current rules except for rounds. Two guys fight till it's over - no more judges! I know I know..wouldn't get sanctioned, health risks, advertising dollars, etc, etc. But the thought of every fight going to a finish is kinda cool, for a viewer...

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    They don't have the time to properly take notes so that will be a sticking point.
    Tape recorders have been invented.

I totally agree, nobody ever said Bisping wasn't intelligent some of the time
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Thread Information