Thread: World Series of Fighting Partners with Pancrase to Launch WSOF Japan

Default World Series of Fighting Partners with Pancrase to Launch WSOF Japan

http://www.mmaweekly.com/world-serie...nch-wsof-japan

The World Series of Fighting continues to expand its global footprint with the launch of World Series of Fighting Japan (WSOF Japan).

World Series of Fighting launches its new Japanese division in a partnership with the long-running and highly respected Pancrase organization, a Tokyo-based group that has promoted mixed martial arts events since 1993 and is widely considered one of the most historically important organizations in the sport.

“Japan has long been a home of top-level martial arts competitions of all types, and I personally have enjoyed some of the best moments of my fighting career there,” World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo said. “I’m excited to announce this new division with the launch of World Series of Fighting Japan.

“I look forward to working with Pancrase CEO Masakazu Sakai and his team, and together we will produce amazing events for the Japanese fight fans, as well as big opportunities for both Asia-based fighters and MMA fighters around the globe.”

The first World Series of Fighting Japan event is expected to take place in early 2014. The relationship will allow fighters from both sides of the Pacific Ocean to be featured in fight cards in both the U.S. and Japan, including recent World Series of Fighting addition Yushin “Thunder” Okami (29-8), one of the world’s top-ranked middleweights.

World Series of Fighting Targets New Zealand for April 2014
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/world-serie...for-april-2014
    WSOF is planning to continue its international expansion with a fight card in New Zealand in April of 2014, MMAWeekly.com learned on Tuesday.

WSOF president Ray Sefo said that the deal is constructed and the company is in its final stages before announcing the New Zealand card.

“It’s pretty much finalized,” Sefo said. “Probably right after Japan, we’re talking about having a show in New Zealand.”

“WSOF New Zealand,” as Sefo referred to it, does not have a specific April date and venue as of yet. The company anticipates doing that show and following it up with a subsequent card in Australia.

The expansion to the Australian continent continues WSOF’s international push, following announcements of the company’s Dec. 7 debut in Canada and the expected March 2013 card in Japan.

Thread Information