Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Georges St-Pierre again calls for the end of round breaks in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by rahdizzle View Post
    My opinions are my own. This is obviously a touchy subject to you. I have watched all his fights and I can assure you that these are original opinions of mine. GSP does blanket. He'll go on top and look active according to the rules the way Clay Guida tries to look active on the feet. He doesnt have intentions of finishing his fights out of fear of overcommiting and getting caught in a submission or a ko. So instead, he'll lay his head on his opponents chest and lift it up every now and then so the ref wont stand him and his opponent up. Like it or not, GSP is a boring fighter. The best thing to happen to him lately was fighting Condit (which I can argue is actually persuading your opinion), as Condit is never in a boring fight. My problem with GSP is that I can see he thinks too much in the cage. He was taught to fight rather than developing natural instincts like the bj penns and wanderlei silvas. I choose not to pay for his fights and instead watch it via live stream as my way of not supporting his fighting style. To me, GSP is the Tim Duncan of the NBA. He is so technical, that it comes off as boring. However, Just because I think its boring, doesnt mean I dont appreciate it. He does what he has to to not lose.

Was this post original enough for you? Or did I rely on hearsay and jokers to formulate my thoughts again.... ?
    No! It was not. Try again sir.

2000 words due next Tuesday.

Eh, I think if there were no breaks GSP would probably finish a lot of opponents.. They would wear down like BJ in their second fight and GSP would put them away.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdizzle View Post
    Translation: "I'm blanketing, don't interrupt."

Not fighter bashing. I know, as much as he does, that not having round breaks would benefit his kind of style the most. I can get on board with Pride style rounds. The first round being ten minutes, then five minutes after that.
    Exactly. The risk of getting clipped trying to get another td in another round is just too much for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Shields is a blanketer who lands pillowfists from the top while grappling only for position.
    How does that explain Jake having twice as many submission victories as Georges?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Yeah, the way he blanketed shields and koscheck was disgusting(sarcasm).... I think he's safe... But I don't think he blankets.. He picks the best strategy for the man standing opposite himself. If he's a wrestler he jabs him to death, if he's a striker he nullifies him by taking him down. Fact of the matter is, gsp is good enough to make most of his fights not very competitive... That's the opponents fault. Ps: I don't like watching gsp either... But he's still damn good fighter that can win anywhere.
    Last edited by rspier; 11-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    How does that explain Jake having twice as many submission victories as Georges?

rh
    GSP has fought tougher competition in his career than Shields has.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH Pop Quiz!

Which has happened more recently:

Shields winning a fight by submission
    or
    GSP finishing a fight

No cheating!
    Last edited by KevoOnTheRadio; 11-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of the competition they've faced, sir.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    GSP has fought tougher competition in his career than Shields has.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH Pop Quiz!

Which has happened more recently:

Shields winning a fight by submission
    or
    GSP finishing a fight

No cheating!
    the lawler sub [at MW] happened after St. Pierre finished Penn. If I'm not mistaken Georges' last submission was Hughes, something like three years before that.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of the competition they've faced, sir.
    I would also disagree with that assessment.

in a submission grappling match--no strikes--Sheilds PWNS St. Pierre. It isn't even close.

Georges is a better overall fighter, absolutely...but he's not anywhere close to Jake in submission grappling.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

the lawler sub [at MW] happened after St. Pierre finished Penn. If I'm not mistaken Georges' last submission was Hughes, something like three years before that.

I would also disagree with that assessment.

in a submission grappling match--no strikes--Sheilds PWNS St. Pierre. It isn't even close.

Georges is a better overall fighter, absolutely...but he's not anywhere close to Jake in submission grappling.

rh
    No disagreement at all. Absolutely. Your original statement was

rh
    And I contend that if GSP had fought Robbie Lawler, Paul Daley, Nick Thompson, or Renato Verissimo or whoever, he would have just as many submission victories as Shields.

Another Pop Quiz:

OTHER THAN Matt Hughes, who was the last person GSP submitted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

While I love the idea, I think it would degrade the quality of a lot of fights, with guys winning due to a better gas tank over being the better fighter. It would also be a disaster with the judges, in my mind, who can't seemingly pay attention for five minute bursts.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Thread Information