Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Georges St-Pierre again calls for the end of round breaks in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    GSP does not blanket. If you think that GSP blankets, you seriously need to brush up on his past matches rather than relying on hearsay and jokers to form that opinion in your mind.

Shields is a blanketer who lands pillowfists from the top while grappling only for position.

GSP, on the other hand, utilizes every tool in his french army knife both on the ground and on the feet.
    Just wanted to say that I don't think that GSP is a blanketer, Definitely not comparing him to Jake Shields, lol. IMO GSP at times will grind a bit with his ground and pound, and he is so effective at it, the only thing that is going to get him off (short of the fight ending via submission/TKO) is the round ending. A fight with no rounds would benefit wrestlers in general (specifically ones with top-notch top games), IMHO.

As i said above, GSP is so effective with his top game, it can seem like he is a "blanket" that his opponent just can't escape, but I'm definitely not saying that he is a blanket (lay and prey) fighter.
    Last edited by XxChAoS32xX; 11-07-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    No! It was not. Try again sir.

2000 words due next Tuesday.
    mmanews.com debate at its finest.

McGregor: I'd like no time limits, no rounds
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...its-no-rounds/
    Connor McGregor has quickly made a name for himself amongst UFC featherweights, but more so with his comments outside the cage, although he is 2-0 since debuting in the UFC. McGregor is one of those guys that just loves to fight and loves to talk shit, but what he'd really like is to just fight man to man until one man breaks:

UFC featherweight Conor McGregor would like to turn back the clock to the early days of the sport and eliminate rounds and time limits.

“Me, personally, I’d love to scratch it all and do no time limit, not separation, no nothing. Let the contest go, and it’s over when it’s over,” said the Irishman during a recent question and answer session in Manchester, England.

“People say, ‘we want a finish.’ Trust me, someone will break. No time, a man will break,” added the outspoken 25-year-old.

His fights will never end.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    How does that explain Jake having twice as many submission victories as Georges?

rh
    At top level competition?

Shields is a position grappler who is intent on lying on top until a better position presents itself rather than working for damage. It's obvious that GSP is a ground and pounder rather than a "blanket". Shields is nowhere near the same grappler he was years ago and certainly not the same fighter that he was before his father's passing.

Of course, Shields would beat GSP in submission grappling. But, we were not talking about ADCC, we were talking about MMA. GSP does not fit in the category of a blanket, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 11-10-2013 at 06:41 PM.

There should be more breaks IMO. Non title and main events fights should be five four minute rounds and title fights should be seven four minute rounds.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information