+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Velasquez vs. Werdum at UFC 172 in Mexico City on April 19 or 26

Default Report: Velasquez vs. Werdum at UFC 172 in Mexico City on April 19 or 26

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...pril-19-or-26/

Now a report coming out of Mexico says the fight will be at UFC 172, at the league's debut show in Mexico.

It's a matter of days for the UFC will officially announced the first event in Mexico. The Arena Mexico City will host the marquee 172 event, broadcast on pay per view in the United States, that will be headlined by Cain Velasquez vs. challenger for the heavyweight belt, the Brazilian Fabricio Werdum.

The date, the weekend of the 19th or April 26th 2014 is perfect for the Mexican American Velasquez, as he will have half a year to make full preparation. On Tuesday afternoon, the president Dana White confirmed that the announcement will take place on Mexican soil. That moment could come in the coming weeks as the company's promotional activity intensifies.

This Sunday, the heavyweight champion returns to Mexico for the second time in less than two months. One of the priorities of the company in 2014 is Latin America.

The matchmakers at the UFC, Sean Shelby and Joe Silva, are also working to ensure that fighters with Latin roots are included. Names such as Diego Sanchez, Gilbert Melendez, and Kelvin Gastelum are on the deck. Besides the possibility that Erik Perez Nuevo Leon fight on Mexican soil and the likely debuts of fighters that are in the development program for more than six months.

Another names that may be announced is Gabriel "Moggly" Tijuana Benitez, who will fight at 145 pounds on December 6 in Albuquerque, New Mexico in what could be his last fight before the promotion's debut show in Mexico. Other names include Augusto "Dodger" Montaño and Argentine Martin Cannetti Guido, who have been training in the Greg Jackson camp.

Security better be tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

3. Default

Cain toasts Werdum
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Cain toasts Werdum
    Ya, outside a well timed and sunk submission, Cain walks away with this no problem.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Mexico City! Shit's going to be ginormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

WOW! If indeed they are coming, I awill definitely attend that event.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

From reading the news you couldn't pay me to go to Mexico.

Mexico is beautiful. Close your legs, I smell fish!

Default Velasquez may face shoulder sugery

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...oulder-sugery/
    A report that surfaced earlier today that Cain Velasquez is already set to defend his title in April in Mexico, is likely a bit premature, as today manager Bob Cook told Yahoo Sports they are still waiting for results of a second MRI:

"He's had one MRI already, but we're going to get another one that is hopefully of better quality," Cook said. "He hurt it during the fight, but we're not exactly sure when or how it happened. Right now, we're waiting to get this other MRI before we know what we have to do, whether there's a need for minor surgery or just rehab."

Cook said he wouldn't know whether Velasquez could be ready for an April show until after the champion is examined by doctors. He said he hopes to have that completed by sometime next week.

Javier Mendez, Velasquez's trainer, said Velasquez first mentioned the injury to him after the fight ended. Mendez said that he doesn't think it is major and that it is not out of the question that Velasquez could be ready to fight in April if the UFC wanted him to do so.

"It was one of those things where it had no impact on him in the fight, but after it's over and the adrenaline isn't going as much, you go, 'Uh oh, I may have done something,' " Mendez said. "He never said a thing about it during the fight, but I was with him after just before we went to the press conference and he told me he thought he hurt his shoulder.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information