Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Velasquez vs. Werdum at UFC 172 in Mexico City on April 19 or 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    WOW! If indeed they are coming, I awill definitely attend that event.
    I'm sure Dana will appreciate all your hard earned money that goes in his pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm sure Dana will appreciate all your hard earned money that goes in his pocket
    The first time he has paid for anything UFC!

3. Default

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

shoulder surgery he should still be back in that time frame i think

either way i see this fight ending in three ways:
    1- cain by ko
    2- Werdum by slick sub
    3- Werdum feeling Cain's ko power then spending the rest of the time flopping to the mat trying to get cain to go to the ground

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-heavywe...-avoid-surgery
    UFC Heavyweight Champ Cain Velasquez Likely to Avoid Surgery

Fabricio Werdum willing to wait for Cain Velasquez

"They told me it’s my decision," Werdum told MMAFighting.com. "I had a meeting with Dana White and my team, the UFC said it’s up to me, if I want to wait or fight again. I’m still thinking about it, but I believe I’m going to wait for this opportunity to fight for the title. I’m the next in line. But it’s not 100 percent yet."

If he chooses to fight, Werdum could face the winner of Josh Barnett vs. Travis Browne, but he’s willing to wait for the champion.

"I believe (Cain Velasquez) will return soon, probably around July or August," he said. "It’s normal to recover quickly today, so that’s what I hope. I’ll even send my physical therapist to help him get better. I’ll pay for his recovery (laughs).

"I’ll make my final decision next week," he continued. "It’s an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, something that I’ve been waiting for a long time. My biggest dream is to fight for the UFC title. I accomplished all my other dreams, becoming a world champion in jiu-jitsu and ADCC, and I still want the world title in MMA."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Might as well wait. Its the only time he'll have the chance to flop on his back against a champion. I don't think he deserves a shot anyway but we've seen worse I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Cain toasts Werdum
    if he keeps the fight standing. If he takes it to the ground, he'll be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    shoulder surgery he should still be back in that time frame i think

either way i see this fight ending in three ways:
    1- cain by ko
    2- Werdum by slick sub
    3- Werdum feeling Cain's ko power then spending the rest of the time flopping to the mat trying to get cain to go to the ground
    I'll go ahead and disagree with two of the three. Cain doesn't have KO power. He's got great combinations and great handspeed. If he beats Werdum standing--the most likely of the three--it far more likely to be a TKO than a one-punch KO. But he's not going to hit Fabricio any harder than he's already been hit.

I'd also say that Werdum's striking is underrated, and if Cain doesn't respect it, he may get caught. We'll see if Fabricio learned anything from the AO fight--he was beating an arguably better striker than Cain in the standup. The last I read, he was running his own school, so I have no idea who he'd bring to his camp/corner...but if Werdum has any kind of team behind him, they're going to tell him his [very underrated] judo is the only chance he's got to get the fight to the ground. The flopping bullshit isn't going to work, and he shouldn't bother shooting against Cain...he's only going to eat knees and hammers. Watch for Cain's combos, use length as much as he can, and look to throw if Velasquez initiates a clinch. Then own him on the ground.

I think a healthy Velasquez wins 7 or 8 out of 10 fights against Werdum, provided he doesn't follow Fabricio to the mat. If he tries to show he's better everywhere--or if Fabricio catches lightning in a bottle and throws him-- Cain is more than likely going to get subbed.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    if he keeps the fight standing. If he takes it to the ground, he'll be sorry.

I'll go ahead and disagree with two of the three. Cain doesn't have KO power. He's got great combinations and great handspeed. If he beats Werdum standing--the most likely of the three--it far more likely to be a TKO than a one-punch KO. But he's not going to hit Fabricio any harder than he's already been hit.

I'd also say that Werdum's striking is underrated, and if Cain doesn't respect it, he may get caught. We'll see if Fabricio learned anything from the AO fight--he was beating an arguably better striker than Cain in the standup. The last I read, he was running his own school, so I have no idea who he'd bring to his camp/corner...but if Werdum has any kind of team behind him, they're going to tell him his [very underrated] judo is the only chance he's got to get the fight to the ground. The flopping bullshit isn't going to work, and he shouldn't bother shooting against Cain...he's only going to eat knees and hammers. Watch for Cain's combos, use length as much as he can, and look to throw if Velasquez initiates a clinch. Then own him on the ground.

I think a healthy Velasquez wins 7 or 8 out of 10 fights against Werdum, provided he doesn't follow Fabricio to the mat. If he tries to show he's better everywhere--or if Fabricio catches lightning in a bottle and throws him-- Cain is more than likely going to get subbed.

rh
    agreed but so is Cain's stand up. Cain is a risk taker with swinging hands. Thats how he got caught vs. JDS. I think he has learned from it tho and you won't see the same mistake twice.

If they do fight, I dont see Werdum winning unless Cain gets injured during fight. I dont think Werdum can KO him. He can definitely sub him but i'll bet a pretty penny Cain won't have a problem with him if it goes to the ground.

Best thing to happen to Cain is probably an extended time off to heal up.

The most optimum time to beat Cain is when he's worn down and working through injuries, if I'm Werdum, I take the winner of Barnett/Browne and let some other poor sap take on a healthy-ish Cain and take nexties.

Thread Information