Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White: Belfort loses no.1 contender status w/ loss

Default White: Belfort loses no.1 contender status w/ loss

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...status-w-loss/

At the very least, Vitor Belfort and UFC President Dana White agree on one thing -- Belfort is the middleweight division's No. 1 contender.

White repeated that sentiment on Tuesday, stating on a conference call that Belfort "definitely" still held claim to middleweight's top spot, despite his upcoming light heavyweight bout against Dan Henderson.

Where the two sides differ, though, is whether Belfort's UFC Fight Night 32 date with Henderson has the chance to affect his 185-pound ranking.

"If [Belfort] loses to Dan Henderson, could he still fight for the title? No, I don't think so," White said.

"Vitor's got to win the fight. This isn't one of those fights where he's moving up to light heavyweight to fight Jon Jones. He's fighting another 185-pounder. They just decided not to cut weight, to fight at 205."

...doesn't that last line kind of devalue the belts in MMA?

...if Dan wins, does this fight get him suddenly ranked at MW for the UFC?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...doesn't that last line kind of devalue the belts in MMA?

...if Dan wins, does this fight get him suddenly ranked at MW for the UFC?

rh
    Tricky situation given that a MW and LHW are fighting at 205lb but the way I look at it, Vitor is a top 3 MW currently. Beating him def does something for your career, whether it's a LHW stepping down or a WW stepping up. I just think the UFC should be consistent with the outcome. IF Vitor beats Dan and surely he would be rewarded for that, I think Dan should be rewarded as well should he win. Not saying he should be #1 contender or anything, but that it should earn him a step towards it.

I agree Vitor should be the #1 contender. I also agree with Dana saying a lose could impact that position. I thought it was a douche move by Vitor when he said he'll fight for the belt at 185 or only fight at 205. It was obvious he wants that title match (which I can't blame him for), but is hiding from a chance of losing at 185 and losing that #1 contender spot as well.

It would be a negative hit to the weight classes if I fighter can get to the #1or2 spot and then stop fighting in that class, taking fights up one weight class and not impact their standing for a title shot if they lose. As a fan, I'm not interested in seeing guys trying to hack the system. Fight the best damn opponent placed in front of you at the moment and if you keep winning, you'll get a title shot. Sitting out (which has back fired on how many guys in the past) or now looking to fight up a weight class is bull....
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

With a win Belfort becomes the TRT champ!

and a long future fighting in Brazil.

7. 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM

We all know that Dana says one thing, and then a whole different happens. So win or lose, anything can happen with Vitor
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Am I the only one who was thinking this fight was going to take place at 185? I don't want to see either of these guys lose their respective title shots so this kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Should have been Weidman/Belfort.

Is anyone surprised?

This isn't a shot at White, which I'm always apt to do, but he was going to use any ammunition he could to keep Vitor out of a MW title fight and has all but said it over the past year.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information