Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White: Belfort loses no.1 contender status w/ loss

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Is anyone surprised?

This isn't a shot at White, which I'm always apt to do, but he was going to use any ammunition he could to keep Vitor out of a MW title fight and has all but said it over the past year.
    I'm not sure I recall any of those instances. Last I heard about Belfort was when Dana said that Vitor has to either wait or take another fight because Silva/Weidman II was announced.

^ Dana has also said as of late that he doesn't deal with Vitor anymore and that Lorenzo does. To many demands on who/when/where when it comes to Vitor and scheduling a fight.

Telling him he had to fight Kennedy, Machida, or even teammate Evans in order to get a shot etc.

Maybe I'm over-attributing these things to DFW but there's been numerous stumbling blocks on the way to another shot and Vitor's rose above on each. I simply see this as another.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

IMO, Vitor's going to have to continue fighting because if Anderson wins, we're probably looking at a rubber match between Weidman and Silva and Vitor will just be sitting around waiting far too long. Since Vitor turns 37 early in 2014 and is still going strong, unless Weidman wins, Vitor won't be sniffing a title fight until late 2014, and has Jacare and now Machida nipping at his heels. So from this, I'm wondering if ZUFFA isn't more interested in using Vitor as a "super fight" main eventer akin to how they used Rich Franklin following his second shot at Anderson. Thinking along those lines, I get why they would rescind his #1 contender status, if his talents can be used elsewhere.

Weidman/Vitor makes sense if Weidman retains and would really solidify Weidman as a new UFC "poster boy" with a win, although I'm still quite hinked by Vitor's awesome performances during this stage of his career and if he were to win, would kinda blow MW wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    IMO, Vitor's going to have to continue fighting because if Anderson wins, we're probably looking at a rubber match between Weidman and Silva and Vitor will just be sitting around waiting far too long. Since Vitor turns 37 early in 2014 and is still going strong, unless Weidman wins, Vitor won't be sniffing a title fight until late 2014, and has Jacare and now Machida nipping at his heels. So from this, I'm wondering if ZUFFA isn't more interested in using Vitor as a "super fight" main eventer akin to how they used Rich Franklin following his second shot at Anderson. Thinking along those lines, I get why they would rescind his #1 contender status, if his talents can be used elsewhere.

Weidman/Vitor makes sense if Weidman retains and would really solidify Weidman as a new UFC "poster boy" with a win, although I'm still quite hinked by Vitor's awesome performances during this stage of his career and if he were to win, would kinda blow MW wide open.
    If Silva beats Weidman, no way does Weidman deserve an instant rematch for a trilogy fight. IMO he hasn't earned the right to fight Silva in a trilogy unless he were to first work his way back up.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    If Silva beats Weidman, no way does Weidman deserve an instant rematch for a trilogy fight. IMO he hasn't earned the right to fight Silva in a trilogy unless he were to first work his way back up.
    At Anderson's age and the money to be made off of a legitimate challenger, I don't think having "earned" has anything to do with it.

I think that for a rubber match with Weidman not to take place, Anderson would have to dominate him... sort of like Cain did with JDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Should have been Weidman/Belfort.
    what happens if Weidman loses to Silva in the rematch? Does he get an immediate rematch? Does Belfort get a shot at Silva (assuming he beats Hendo)?

what if Silva and Henderson both win? where does that put the MW contenders at?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    ^ Dana has also said as of late that he doesn't deal with Vitor anymore and that Lorenzo does. To many demands on who/when/where when it comes to Vitor and scheduling a fight.
    The where is always Brazil.

10. Default

DO THIS AND BE DONE WITH THE DRAMA

Lyoto vs Vitor (no TRT allowed)
    Anderson vs Chris W
    Jacare vs Munoz
    Kennedy vs Bisping
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Thread Information