Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White: Belfort loses no.1 contender status w/ loss

Munoz doesn't belong there. Should be Rockhold instead.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    If Silva beats Weidman, no way does Weidman deserve an instant rematch for a trilogy fight. IMO he hasn't earned the right to fight Silva in a trilogy unless he were to first work his way back up.
    Of course Weidman doesn't, because KOing the best MW ever doesn't count for anything. I mean, we don't even need to see his performance in the third fight to make up our narrow little minds that in no way does he deserve a rubber match with a loss, amirite? Because even if the rematch is a competitive barnburner, the only thing that matters is the result.

Because everybody knows by now that when Silva loses, it's always a fluke, but when he wins, it's always the opposite of a fluke.

I'm really glad dana took the time to educate his fans on this, otherwise there could be some confusion.

or as the real world calls it, clarity.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Of course Weidman doesn't, because KOing the best MW ever doesn't count for anything. I mean, we don't even need to see his performance in the third fight to make up our narrow little minds that in no way does he deserve a rubber match with a loss, amirite? Because even if the rematch is a competitive barnburner, the only thing that matters is the result.

Because everybody knows by now that when Silva loses, it's always a fluke, but when he wins, it's always the opposite of a fluke.

I'm really glad dana took the time to educate his fans on this, otherwise there could be some confusion.

rh
    An immediate rubber match or not obviously depends on how the potential Silva win would happen - close fight or dominance respectively. Quite simple if you ask me.

And while Belfort and Henderson get criticized for the TRT use, it's awesome to see these legends being so competitive or kicking ass this late in their careers. I absolutely dislike any TRT abuse, steroids, or cheating so I'm just going to relax on the idea they're using it as per proper doctor prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    An immediate rubber match or not obviously depends on how the potential Silva win would happen - close fight or dominance respectively. Quite simple if you ask me.
    That's entirely my point. To write off the potential for a rubber match without even seeing a second fight is just stupid.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

That's entirely my point. To write off the potential for a rubber match without even seeing a second fight is just stupid.

rh
    Yup sir.

Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson issued TRT exemptions for UFC Fight Night 32
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...fight-night-32

UFC Fight Night 32 headliners Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson will be on a level playing field when it comes to testosterone-replacement therapy on Saturday night.

Both Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC) and Henderson (29-10 MMA, 6-4 UFC) were issued therapeutic-use exemptions for TRT for their main event in Brazil, sources close to the situation told MMAjunkie.com. Both fighters have been issued TUEs in the past.

rh
    Let me rephrase my comment. I dont think Weidman deserves an instant rematch if he were finished decisively.

I really didnt like Silva getting an instant rematch either. He lost, clear cut. Fluke or luck or whatever people wanna call it, he lost decisively. He should have worked his way back to the title, kinda like how Matt Hughes was made to do after having the belt for some time and losing it to GSP in the rematch. Dana has his own rules as to who gets instant rematches and who need to win 1-2 fights or even 5-6 to get back to a title. I just feel only way a rematch is warranted is in the case of Edgar/Maynard II, where the result was a draw. There needed to be closure between the champ and number 1 contender.

Should Weidman lose in a close decision, I still feel he should work his way back. There are other viable MW contenders who need to get a shot too. Only reason I think Silva got the instant nod was of the money to be made off it, and I think Dana has a hard on for him, as he goes through great lengths to satisfy Silva, even though he acts like a diva.

I'm all for rematches but not instant rematches unless there was a draw or shady judging.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I'm all for rematches but not instant rematches unless there was a draw or shady judging.
    In the best of all possible worlds, I agree with this.
    Sadly, we don't live in the best of all possible worlds, and zuffa hands out instant rematches and/or title shots to fighters who will make them the most money.

That precedent being set, if Weidman doesn't get finished decisively and/or it's a close fight, I feel like he should get the same treatment he gave Anderson.

But I don't think he will.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    DO THIS AND BE DONE WITH THE DRAMA

Lyoto vs Vitor (no TRT allowed)
    Anderson vs Chris W
    Jacare vs Munoz
    Kennedy vs Bisping
    I would make Jacare vs Bisping and Kennedy vs Muñoz instead.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Henderson: I don't care what [Belfort's] on, I'm going to beat him up
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...o-beat-him-up/
    Dan Henderson is heading into his Ultimate Fight Night 32 show down with Vitor Belfort ona TRT regime, same as his opponent. However Henderson believes Belfort is using it because of prior steroid use, not natuarally occuring low testerone from which he suffers. Regardless, Henderson feels TRT won't be the deciding factor and he will beat him up either way:

"He's more dangerous than he used to be, but I am too," Henderson said Sunday while traveling from the U.S. to Brazil. "I feel I have more tools I can utilize and that makes it tougher on him."

Belfort kicks much better than he did seven years ago, though Henderson isn't necessarily concerned about any of that. The former two-division Pride champion expects to “beat” Belfort's “ass” and break him like he did in Las Vegas.

Henderson's confidence stems from knowing Belfort utilized anabolic agents during their first fight, and he still fell short. The "Phenom" claimed over-the-counter supplements were the culprit for a positive test, but Henderson’s of the opinion that previous steroid use is the real reason Belfort qualifies for testosterone replacement therapy today.

“That wasn't the case I had,” Henderson said. “I never touched steroids. But I still have low testosterone. I am on TRT so I can't really point fingers too bad, other than the fact that I've never taken steroids and he has. With that being said, I don't really care what he's on or not on -- I'm going to beat him up no matter what. Just like the last time I fought him."

Thread Information