Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shogun discusses potential cut to 185

Default Shogun discusses potential cut to 185

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...al-cut-to-185/
    Mauricio Rua has won only one fight, vs. Brandon Vera, of his last four,. He has a loss for the ages to Dan Henderson, and most recently, lost two in a row, to Alexander Gustafsson and Chael Sonnen. 'Shogun' has a fight scheduled at 205 vs. James Te-Huna on Dec. 7, but there aftercould drop down to middleweight.

The news came during a fan Q&A prior to the UFN 32 weigh-ins in Goiania, Brazil.

"It might happen, but for now I have a fight scheduled," said Rua as transcribed by MMAFighting. "I would have to do some medical exams to check if itís possible."

"My normal weight is 228, 231 pounds. Maybe I can, and maintain my performance. I would need to think about it, but thatís something that can happen."

This is maybe something he should have considered years ago, but don't really see him doing it at this point in his career now.

3. Default

Shogun is way to chubby, and under motivated to make that cut at this point in his career.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

IF...and this is a mighty big IF, given how we've seen Shogun look come into the cage looking less than shredded(to say the least) over the past few years... but IF Shogun diets and dedicated himself to the cut properly and really engages himself in the process of fighting at 185, I think the sky is the limit.

Problem with that is that Shogun appears oft-times complacent and surrounded by a camp that allows a stasis on his training style, which is antithetical to his progression as a fighter at this stage in his career. When you look at guys in their late 30s and early 40s like Vitor and Hendo, one could argue that Shogun, only at almost 32, should seemingly have many years left on his clock(although his knees have undoubtedly shortened his career).

I think there are a lot of moving parts that would have to all come together to make it work and I'm not so sure Shogun is at the stage in his career, after all of his success, to put this level of work in, or for that matter, if he's even healthy enough to maintain what it would take to make the cut longevity-wise, but I'd love to see what he could do at MW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Shogun is way to chubby, and under motivated to make that cut at this point in his career.
    agree on the chubby part. He carries a lot of weight going into his fights I think the cut could be possible. He may be unmotivated to do so but if he loses again, he's going to have to consider something different.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Mmm I think he should have considered that after the loss to Jones.

At this point I do not think he can become champion again in any division. He is indeed chubby and the last time he looked good against a good fighter was against Machida in 2010
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

He should just retire and stop embarrassing himself. We get it, you're not hungry enough to train anymore. I don't care to see him drop down.Dropping down because you can't cut it at your own weight class has never been something I'm a fan of. He has the potential to still be top 3 and maybe even champion but it will never happen because of him, nobody else.

About 3 years too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Well do not forget that his knees are fucked up and that is a huge factor.
    It is not that he is some lazy guy that trains 3 hours per week.

Obviously you can see that he is not really motivated anymore. I think that he relaxed a lot after he won the UFC championship, and then got depressed after Jones embarrased him. So since then, he probably does not have any real motivation to train hard.
    But being said that, his knees are fucked up and he is not in the shape he was 7-8 years ago.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Shogun is nearing gatekeeper status at this point.

Thread Information