+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Nick Diaz ready to return - 'but only for the big fights'

Default Back Nick Diaz ready to return - 'but only for the big fights'

Nick Diaz ready to return - 'but only for the big fights'

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...the-big-fights
    Right now he is Las Vegas, Nevada with his girlfriend. Her father drives dirt-track racecars and is competing this weekend, in a car complete with Nick Diaz decals and the logo of his own WAR MMA promotion.

Its morning in Las Vegas and Diaz is in a pretty decent mood. He recently moved out of the ‘fighter house’ he had been living in for the last few years and into a new apartment. He says it’s only small - “a little two bedroom, one bathroom thing” - but the change in living environment has been good.

“I’m not fighting right now so I didn’t really need to be living in the fighter house with the other guys, I got out of there. It doesn’t really hold up [as a living environment] if you’re not actually training for a fight, its a bit of a mess,” he says.

Diaz will be paying close attention to next week’s fight between St Pierre and Hendricks at UFC 167. If he was a betting man, he wouldn’t be putting his money on Hendricks.

“I think Georges St. Pierre will win that fight. I watched Hendricks and Condit and I wasn’t that impressed with Hendricks. I think Georges should win with strikes rather than a wrestling match,” he says.

But it isn’t so much the fight that interests him as its potential aftermath. If St Pierre comes out with the win, where does that leave the welterweight contender picture? There’s nobody aside from Rory Macdonald who looks like a viable contender right now, and he has sworn he won’t fight his team mate.

“They are talking about there’s nobody to fight him after this. I’ll make a joke out of that real quick - I think there’s nobody on my level really. I don’t want to name names but that’s how I feel. So I feel like if the fans want to see me fight…” says Diaz, trailing off without mentioning a title fight directly.

Of late there have been numerous rumors that Diaz is interested in a fight with Michael Bisping at middleweight. He flatly refutes that; he doesn’t see it as a big fight - and by ‘big fight’ he means ‘big earner’.

“I don’t see that being a really big fight like this one fight I’m thinking I could have at welterweight,” he says, again hovering around the topic of a rematch with St. Pierre without actually calling the champion out.

“And [Bisping’s] been getting knocked out a bunch lately so I’m like, lets wait until I start getting knocked out too. I can’t afford to be getting knocked out [at middleweight] right now. Lets wait until my late 30s or something! [laughs].”

So Diaz is ready to come out of retirement for the right fight. Whether he can get that fight right off is debatable. Diaz doesn’t answer my question about how he would respond if the UFC said “Win one fight, we will give you a shot”.

Instead he lays out his own requirements for a return and they can be summarized thus: Nick Diaz wants to get paid.

“Well we could negotiate. I am a pretty big draw. So we would have to negotiate a pretty decent amount of pay and a pretty decent amount from the pay-per-view. I’m talking like three to five dollars [per PPV unit sold] the same as these other important fighters are getting, because I am out there putting on a show,” he says.

“Some of those guys are making way more money than what my contract is worth. I’m not making a fraction of it. And I don’t want you to think I am just regurgitating some [rumors] here. I understand what I understand, I hear what I hear.

“I’ve had some time off from fighting and some free time to finally start looking at things like this and thinking about it. Its a bit easier for me to learn what’s what now.”

The UFC will also be pleased to learn that Diaz’s attitude to the PR circus has done a complete 180. Of all the fighters in MMA, Diaz was by far the most notorious for hating the media grind.

It culminated in his failing to attend a UFC 137 PR engagement and being removed from his first title shot against St Pierre. These days, Diaz is all-business and he is ready to play the game.

“Well I am talking about big fights, so I could be really enthusiastic about all that [PR stuff] nowadays. Before I didn’t want to talk or do anything extra, because I wasn’t getting paid for it,” he says.

“I didn’t want to do all these conferences and all this running around on PR and not getting paid for it and its interfering with my training, you know? But if you look at the last two fights I think I started to show more enthusiasm for it. The last one I think I explained myself pretty good.”

Anybody who has followed Diaz for any length of time will have noticed that words like “money” and “compensation” have formed an ever-increasing part of his conversation.

The truth is Diaz has always thought about money. But its only lately, as he sees his career’s finish line hover into view, that he has started to really worry about it and think about maximizing his earnings in the time he has left.

“I can’t make any other money other than fighting. Never have,” he says. “I had a job once, I was like 15 or 16. Running wires through a building for a construction company, they paid me in cash ‘under the table’.

“I bought myself a four-wheeler. Then I sold it back to the guy I bought it from and I started fighting professionally at 18. Ever since then that’s the only way I have made money.”

What about the WAR MMA venture he launched in his native Stockton, California? That first show seemed to go well, though in truth Diaz is something of a figurehead and partner rather than being involved in the promoter and operations sides.

“I’m trying to work something out with the team of guys who do it. But to be honest I haven’t been really too motivated lately in terms of things to make money. I’ve been training a lot, training with my brother [Nate] for his fight coming up, and moving house,” he says.

“And before that, just a few months of indecisiveness really. I’ve been traveling around a little bit. The free time has been good, its different. Now if there’s a big fight available… people know where I am.”
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-09-2013 at 11:15 PM.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ana-white-says
    "I offered Nick Diaz a fight last week and his manager called me back saying he's retired," White told the media after the card at UFC Fight Night 32, according to a report from Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting.

There were no additional details available on what fight Diaz was offered or when such a fight might have taken place.

When he runs out of weed money he'll be back.

Lawler/Diaz II would be amazing.

Too bad homie's hiding at home selling wolf tickets.

He'll return when they make wrestling illegal, elbows illegal, and get rid of the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    He'll return when they make wrestling illegal, elbows illegal, and get rid of the cage.
    You forgot leg kicks and circling away as well

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ave-a-manager/

Dana White: Manager turned down fight; Nick Diaz: I don't have a manager
    “I don’t have a manager," said Diaz definitively. "I haven’t had a manager since my last fight. They should know that.

Nick Diaz talks terms for UFC return
    I've not had a manager since my last fight. I would like people to know that I was never offered any fight [recently]. I haven't had a manager, I told Dana [White] that I didn't want anyone representing me after what happened with my last training camp."

Once insisting that re-investing in his camp was the correct course, Diaz now sounds like more changes could be coming. "Things change, people change. I don't have anything against Cesar but I see the big picture now. Right now what I need is a good fight and a good camp."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/1...ricks-mma-news

I love watching Nick fight - he is exciting. However, I don't know why he believes he should even be considered for a shot at the title, especially after he lost it in a dominant fashion. I'm not saying he should be fighting guys who are ranked at #10 or higher. I'd like to see him go against Condit again, or really anyone in the top 5, and work his way back to a title shot.

Or, a move up to MW would be interesting as well.........

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information