Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mentor: GSP should retire in the cage Saturday night, and might

My only fear is he retires at the age of 32 and then gets that itch to fight again 2 years or so down the road and then it will be looked at as a waste of 2+ years.

I'd see it as a huge victory on his side, retiring at the high of his career and holding that place for-evermore. I just can't see him walking away and not taking 1-2 more fights, putting $2.5-10M in his pocket. Will George fight until he is 40? I can't see that happening. Walking away from millions at 32? I just can't see that either.

Whatever he does, outside getting his head knocked off my Johny, I think he has been one of the best contenders in the history of the sport and he can call it a day any time.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

There are so few fighters (boxing, MMA, etc) that have gone out at the right time. I'd love for him to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

My guess would be he would maybe take the Silva fight if its available while giving up the WW title.

There's a chance that loooong talked about GSP/Silva fight could happen, but I don't think it will. Maybe he goes to lightweight and gets a title match and defends once or he fights in a title eliminator and fights for the title and calls it a career.

It's been said so many times that he's one of the greatest fighters ever, and he certainly is at welterweight. He's been a constant professional and besides choosing Nick Diaz over Johny Hendricks, he's fought whoever they've put in front of him. Yes he hasn't had the finishes he's capable of having, but he's been so dominant that there's no question he's the best welterweight in the world.

It'd be a hell of a turn if he did challenge Anderson after his fight with Hendricks. But he definitely has to keep his focus on his fight, because one punch from Big Rigg could potentially put him out.

Who knows though...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Gas Bag View Post
    There's a chance that loooong talked about GSP/Silva fight could happen, but I don't think it will. Maybe he goes to lightweight and gets a title match and defends once or he fights in a title eliminator and fights for the title and calls it a career.

It's been said so many times that he's one of the greatest fighters ever, and he certainly is at welterweight. He's been a constant professional and besides choosing Nick Diaz over Johny Hendricks, he's fought whoever they've put in front of him. Yes he hasn't had the finishes he's capable of having, but he's been so dominant that there's no question he's the best welterweight in the world.

It'd be a hell of a turn if he did challenge Anderson after his fight with Hendricks. But he definitely has to keep his focus on his fight, because one punch from Big Rigg could potentially put him out.

Who knows though...
    No way in hell GSP can make Light weight.

Default UFC 167 preview: A closer look at Georges St-Pierre’s ridiculously impressive career

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/12/ufc-...-career-stats/

GENERAL STATISTICS

UFC 167 marks St-Pierre’s 21st appearance under the UFC banner, tying him with Chris Leben for eighth most all-time. Tito Ortiz holds the record with 27 UFC appearances.

St-Pierre’s 3,577-day career with the UFC (as of UFC 167) makes him the longest tenured active welterweight on the UFC roster.

His total fight time of 5:03:12 is the second most in UFC history. B.J. Penn leads the category with 5:03:51. St-Pierre needs just 40 more seconds of fight time to pass him.

St-Pierre is tied with Matt Hughes for the most wins by any fighter in UFC history (18).

He’s fought in the main event in 13 of his 20 UFC appearances. The only time St-Peirre has not fought in the main event in his past 13 fights was at UFC 100, when Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir headlined and fought for the heavyweight title.

St-Pierre’s 11-fight UFC winning streak is the longest among active UFC fighters.

His 11-fight UFC winning streak is tied with Royce Gracie for the second longest of any fighter in company history. Anderson Silva leads the category with 16 consecutive victories.

CHAMPIONSHIP STATISTICS

At 32, he’s the oldest of the nine current UFC champions. The second oldest is Cain Velasquez, who is 31.

St-Pierre’s one of two Canadian fighters (Carlos Newton) to win a UFC championship.

He’s one of only five fighters in UFC history to become a two-time champion (Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia, Velasquez and Hughes).

His title reign of 2,174 days (as of UFC 167) is the longest in welterweight history and second longest overall in UFC history behind Anderson Silva (2,458 days).

St-Pierre’s eight welterweight title defenses are the most by any fighter in UFC history.

His eight consecutive title defenses are the second most in UFC history behind Anderson Silva (10) and the most ever in a row for a welterweight champion.

His 11 victories in UFC championship fights are tied with Anderson Silva for the most in organizational history.

St-Pierre is second to Couture for the most championship fights in UFC history with 13. “The Natural” fought in 15.

Along with bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz and heavyweight champ Velasquez, St-Pierre is one of three current UFC titleholders to have avenged all of his career losses.

IN-FIGHT STATISTICS

St-Pierre has the most completed takedowns of any fighter in UFC history with 84. Lightweight Gleison Tibau is second (71).

St-Pierre has the highest takedown accuracy in UFC history at 75 percent; Nate Marquardt is second (73 percent).

He has the highest takedown defense rate in UFC welterweight history at 88 percent.

He has the highest significant striking defense rate in UFC welterweight history at 75.1 percent.

St-Pierre has the most total strikes landed in UFC history with 2,398. Jon Fitch is second (2,185).

He has the most significant strikes landed in UFC history with 1,153. Michael Bisping is second (947).

His total of 2:35:57 for control time in the cage is the most for any fighter in UFC history.

His 11 UFC fights to go to a decision are the third most in company history. Jon Fitch and Sam Stout hold the record with 13.

He’s won six fights in a row by decision, equaling 150 minutes of fighting without finishing an opponent, a current UFC-high.

St-Pierre averages the second longest fight time in UFC welterweight history at 15:10. Shields leads the category (15:59).

He has the second most submissions attempts of any fighter in UFC welterweight history with 22. Chris Lytle is first (31). Sixteen of those submission attempts have come via armbar or kimura.

i like to see him fight Rory MacDonald or Ben

I hope GSP doesn't retire. I think he has a year or two left in him. The last thing he should do is walk away for Rory, It's not like Rory becoming champ is a sure thing, he's in a tough division.

I think as long as he doesn't suffer any severe injuries he should continue to fight. He's fairly close to Anderson Silva's record for consecutive title defences, I'd like to see him try for that.

Thread Information