Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mentor: GSP should retire in the cage Saturday night, and might

There are no balls that go over my head, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    There are no balls that go over my head, ever.
    Cuz they stop right at your chin.

Low hanging fruit Sniggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    LMAO best gif I have seen in a long time.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

I get jokes, okay?!

Haha....tearable....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

GSP should go the way of Lennox Lewis. There is no better WW than Hendricks at the moment.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/14/rory...ges-st-pierre/
    Rory McDonald not budging on fighting teammate, champ Georges St-Pierre
    MacDonald said he’s content to wait things out should they both have their hands raised on Saturday, even if it means he’s second fiddle to St-Pierre for many fights to come.

“You just keep taking fights, and take it one step at a time,” MacDonald said.

The 24-year-old brings a five-fight winning streak into the bout with Lawler, who has won back-to-back fights by knockout since returning to the UFC after an absence of more than eight years. His lone loss came against Condit with seven seconds left in a fight he was controlling for the first two rounds.

His wins have been dominant, but his most recent performance, a July decision against Jake Ellenberger, was criticized by UFC President Dana White for being lackluster.

MacDonald said that’s because Ellenberger was not willing to engage, and he doesn’t believe the same will be an issue on Saturday night against Lawler.

That is what’s on his mind, not a fight against his mentor and training partner that he continues to insist never will happen.

And he certainly doesn’t want to entertain the thought of winning and St-Pierre losing, a scenario that could see him getting the next shot at the title.

“I’m just focusing on myself,” MacDonald said. “I can’t control those things.

“I think me and Georges are both going to have great performances and everything will fall in place as God plans.

“I have faith in that. I’m really just focusing on Robbie.”
    Dana White says Georges St. Pierre has the money to walk away while 'GSP' plans next fight, not retirement
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/14/5...soon-money-mma
    Furthermore, when asked what he thought of St. Pierre's mentor, Kristof Midoux, advising "GSP" to retire after Saturday night's (Nov. 16, 2013) title fight at UFC 167 against Johny Hendricks and pass the torch to Rory MacDonald, White had this to say to MMA Fighting:

"Passing the torch to Rory MacDonald, who knows if Rory MacDonald is even good enough to be the champion. You don't know that until the guy goes out there and starts fighting. Georges St. Pierre is a special individual who has defended this title since 2007, regained the title back from Matt Serra but even held the title before he lost to Matt Serra. Guys like this don't come along, there is no passing of the torch to anyone. You either have what it takes mentally, physically and emotionally to be that guy or you don't. Nobody knows if Rory MacDonald is even there yet."

He continues:

"Georges St. Pierre has plans. I'm sure his guys have ideas and plans for him. I can tell you this; and I hear this all the time when I hear guys say they don't want to fight Georges St. Pierre. When I talk about Georges St. Pierre's bank account, Georges St. Pierre without a doubt has the bank account to retire. Unless he's out there blowing all of his money that I'm not aware of, but he's not that type of guy as far as I know. He could retire Saturday and do very well."

Indeed, big fight purses and lucrative blue-chip sponsorships have secured St. Pierre's financial future, but according to his head trainer, Firas Zahabi, it's not how much coin he has in his piggy bank that will determine when the French-Canadian superstar retires, but rather, his motivation.

And according to St. Pierre, who also spoke to MMA Fighting, he is very happy with where he currently is in MMA and his motivation is still at a very high level.

His words:

"Listen, I've been asked the same question last three fights. I love my job, I said this the last three fights and I will say the same thing, I don't know when I'm going to retire. It could be in one week, it could be five years or 10 years. Right now, I'm really happy with what I do. I feel very happy, very motivated and I'm planning my next fight, not my retirement. People who love me, they want me to retire on top. It's normal. Every time I step inside the Octagon, it's a big risk and of course they want me to retire on top. But, the truth is, I'm the one who will decide about that. It's up to me to make that decision. And whatever my decision is, these people that I love and really care about me they will be with me no matter what"
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-14-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    GSP should go the way of Lennox Lewis. There is no better WW than Hendricks at the moment.
    Don't see it happening but agreed.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

10. Default

Dana White Not Guaranteeing Georges St-Pierre an Immediate Rematch If He Loses at UFC 167

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-...ses-at-ufc-167

Prior to his fight against Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva was guaranteed an immediate rematch, should he want it, by UFC president Dana White.

Silva did lose, and will be rematching Weidman at UFC 168 to close out 2013 on Dec. 28 in Las Vegas.

While the UFC’s head honcho fell short of guaranteeing welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre the same courtesy, he indicated on Thursday that it would be difficult envisioning a scenario where he wouldn’t be granted a shot at redemption… if he were to lose.

“We’ll see what happens. Obviously, Georges St-Pierre has had the belt since 2007. And before that, he had had the belt before that, he lost the belt to Matt Serra,” said White.

“All fights are different. We’ll see what happens. We’ll see how the thing plays out. (But) it would be kind of a weird thing for Georges St-Pierre to not get another shot at the title. It would be hard to say that he’s not still probably the No. 1 contender if he loses the belt on Saturday.”
    St-Pierre’s overall record currently stands at 24-2, having won 11-consecutive fights. He has won the UFC welterweight champion twice, and has the most successful title defenses in the division. And he is most assuredly a shoe-in for the UFC Hall of Fame.

Should he lose to Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 on Saturday, as White said, it would be difficult to justify him not getting an immediate crack at the belt if he wants it.

Hendricks, of course, believes that it is a scenario that is bound to happen, as he believes whole-heartedly that he has St-Pierre’s number. And he wouldn’t hesitate at giving St-Pierre a rematch.

“Yeah. Why not?” said Hendricks. “If I beat him once, it means I could do it again, right?”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information