Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evans: I want to retire before I get retired

Default Evans: I want to retire before I get retired

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...I-get-retired/

Most combat athletes are extremely competive, almost to a fault, and to retire on top isn't a likely scenario for most, who opt to compete past their prime. Rashad Evans is hoping to not make that mistake and get out of MMA before it retires him:

"I ask myself that all the time," he said. "I was in a place in my career where it just wasnít fun for me anymore. I made it through that rough patch, because after youíve seen everything, seen behind the curtain of Oz, it kind of changes the way you feel about it. By that I mean, you see how the whole system works, you see the politics in it, and to not be bogged down by the politics of the sport and still keeping your competitive nature, it was hard for me at first.

"But now, Iíve got a different mindset when it comes to competing. Iíve got a different mindset when it comes to just dealing with the politics of the sport and everything else. Itís helped me get a different appreciation for it. I want to keep on fighting as long as my body allows me to. As long as God gives me the ability to keep on fighting."

Evans pointed to his Blackzilians teammate Vitor Belfortís "second leg of excitement" at 36 years old as an example. He said Belfortís mindset was the difference in his resurgence, which helped provide him the cues to get out of the funk he was in.

"I want to be able to retire before the sport retires me," he said. "But at the same time, I donít want to leave the sport until Iím competitively satisfied."

Leaving before receiveing long-term injuries while fulfilling almost every goal you have is a tall task for any athlete. An even taller task can be knowing when it's time to walk away. Rashad is one of the lucky ones in that he reached the pinnacle of his division. He became light heavyweight champion. And he could have potentially been a two time champion had he not gotten injured while training for the Shogun fight (I didn't think he'd be able to catch Jones with anything to win).

there is nothing wrong with trying to leave on a good note. guys liek fedor, chuck and arvloski took a whole bunch of unnecessary punihsment when they should've hung it up earlier.

UFC 167′s Rashad Evans: I had to admit I was afraid
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/12/ufc-...-i-was-afraid/
    “You lose a couple fights in a row, it’ll happen,” Evans told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie. “Even though you may say, ‘The hell with everybody and whatever they’ve got to say about me, I’m still the best,’ in your mind, something seeps in and you wonder, ‘What if they’re right? What if I can’t do it?’”

That’s the situation Evans was facing when he took on Dan Henderson at UFC 161 in June. Evans escaped with a split-decision victory that helped put more space between him and the dreaded three-fight losing streak that often spells doom for UFC fighters. But the fear made him too careful and conservative in the main event bout, he says.

Saturday, Evans returns to the cage to take on Chael Sonnen (29-13-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) at UFC 167 in Las Vegas (pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET). For Evans (18-3-1 MMA, 13-3-1 UFC), it’s a chance to face his fears.

“It’s the hardest thing to do,” Evans says. “You have to confront yourself and say, ‘This is how I feel. I’m afraid. These losses and what people are saying, it’s starting to get to me.’

“But you’ve got to face it, because if you don’t, and if you try to lie to yourself and say it’s not bothering you, it’ll come out. And it will come out at the most inopportune time, when you’re not ready for it.”

The added twist is that Evans and Sonnen are friends and occasional colleagues.

Both work as on-air analysts for Fox Sports, and neither seems particularly eager to hurt the other outside of a sporting context.

“I have to forget about Chael as a friend and go out there to compete against Chael the fighter,” Evans says. “He’s a great guy, and we have a great relationship, great work chemistry. But right now, we’ve got the same ambition.”

The upside is that fighting one of the sport’s most polarizing personalities on one of the biggest fight cards of the year is a perfect opportunity for Evans to prove he’s still a light heavyweight contender.

A decade into his professional career, he finds himself dogged by criticism of his style and persistent questions about his desire.

Yet, the fight game has a short memory, not to mention a fairly simple internal logic.

“If I go out there and put enough people away, the UFC is going to be begging me to fight (UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones),” Evans says. “That’s how I want it.

“I don’t want anything given to me. I’m a taker.”

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    there is nothing wrong with trying to leave on a good note. guys liek fedor, chuck and arvloski took a whole bunch of unnecessary punihsment when they should've hung it up earlier.
    Actually for a 11 year career, Fedor took very very little punishment.
    He was absolutely destroyed by BigFoot, and was KOd by Hendo. He also took good punishment from Crocop.
    But other than those fights, I do not remember Fedor suffering serious damage in any fight. Obviously in some fights he received cuts, but that is not that big of a deal.

Lidell, Arlovksy and Mirko have received huge amount of punishment. Even guys like Wand are going to have troubles in the future because they have received insane amount of punishment.
    It would be a dream come true for any fighter to retire with the amount of punishment Fedor received.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    He was absolutely destroyed by BigFoot, and was KOd by Hendo. He also took good punishment from Crocop.
    But other than those fights, I do not remember Fedor suffering serious damage in any fight. Obviously in some fights he received cuts, but that is not that big of a deal.

Lidell, Arlovksy and Mirko have received huge amount of punishment. Even guys like Wand are going to have troubles in the future because they have received insane amount of punishment.
    It would be a dream come true for any fighter to retire with the amount of punishment Fedor received.
    He took somewhat of a beating against Brett Rogers too in that first round. Randleman suplexed him quite hard on the head.

I would say it would be better for someone to receive the amount of punishment GSP or Anderson Silva have received, neither of which took any big shots in their title reign. The biggest shots GSP has taken was against Serra and that head kick from Condit, otherwise he has dominated round after round, nullifying his opponents and taking any damage. Same goes for Silva, who outside of that Weidman TKO, has breezed through without much damage.

And what exactly Rogers did to Fedor aside of that jab that cut his nose?
    The suplex was brutal but Fedor recovered as if it was nothing and sub'd Randleman a minute later.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post

i said at the END of their careers. his last three fights were sickening to watch as a fedor die hard. He should've fought brock who I think he would KO round one and then retire afterwards.

But i agree mirko was a much better example to use than fedor. Wand tito shogun as well

Should have, could have, would have.

I should have bought a lottery ticket with the winning numbers last week. I should have bought Tesla at $25.

Thread Information