Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series of Fighting reconsidering position on Rousimar Palhares

Default World Series of Fighting reconsidering position on Rousimar Palhares

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/12/worl...imar-palhares/

World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo is reconsidering his position of welterweight free agent Rousimar Palhares (15-5).

After initially telling MMAWeekly.com that he wasn’t keen on bringing the submission ace to his promotion’s ranks, Sefo today admitted he’s currently reevaluating his position and could potentially make Palhares an offer.

“Initially, I’ll admit I didn’t think World Series of Fighting should even entertain the idea of bring Palhares on board,” Sefo told MMAjunkie. “But I’ve been speaking with our team, as well as some people I trust throughout the industry, and I’m not so sure he doesn’t deserve another chance.

“We haven’t made any concrete decisions just yet, but I think maybe Palhares could be a valuable part of our organization.”

Sefo said he’s had some initial talks with Palhares’ manager, Alex Davis, but declined to divulge just how far those conversations had progressed. However, he said it was actually a recent “MMA Hour” interview with MMA legend Renzo Gracie that first encouraged him to take a second look at “Toquinho,” who was released from the UFC following an October win over Mike Pierce in Brazil in which Palhares appeared to hold on to a heel hook even after his opponent tapped out and the referee tried to break the lock.

“I really didn’t think he held it too long,” Gracie said. “You have to understand, especially heel hooks, it is a finishing hold that you can lose at any time. He can lose the position at any time, and the next thing you’ll see the guy is going to claim that he didn’t tap and everything is gone. So he really needs to add intensity on it. Unfortunately, people saw it with poor eyes.

“That’s an MMA match, man. The reality, intensity is the name of the game, so you have to allow things like that to go. Some submissions will be held a little longer. That’s going to happen. If I could, every submission I did, I would hold a little longer.”

Sefo, a Hall of Fame kickboxer, said that statement encouraged him to reconsider his stance, and after speaking with a few trusted resources, he thinks an offer may soon follow.

“I was a little outraged at first, just like a lot of people were,” Sefo said. “But I think Renzo explained it very well, and it opened my eyes. I don’t think Palhares is a bad human being, and his skills as a fighter are undeniable. I’m starting to think he could potentially be a nice addition to our roster.”

Welp.....there goes Jesse Taylor's ankle.

Honestly, holding the submission isn't what injures the leg,its the initial torque that will rip things apart,which then causes the tap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

people saw it with poor eyes? are you kidding me. put him in a no holds barred fight with eye pokes and fishhooks. then see how he feels about "you have to hold it a little longer"
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Honestly, holding the submission isn't what injures the leg,its the initial torque that will rip things apart,which then causes the tap.
    You don't think continually torquing on something will cause injury? It's not just one initial torque or pull and then the force on something stops

How come no one busts Frank Mir's balls for holding a kneebar on Lesnar for way too long? It was held a lot longer than anything Palhares has held.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    How come no one busts Frank Mir's balls for holding a kneebar on Lesnar for way too long? It was held a lot longer than anything Palhares has held.
    That was bullshit. But it made Lesnar's bulldoze-mauling and post fight snap out that much more enjoyable in the rematch.

The amount Palhares held on to the sub did not warrant his dismissal in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    The amount Palhares held on to the sub did not warrant his dismissal in the first place.
    I agree. It was an overreaction on the part of the UFC, IMO.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SMGRIFFIN View Post
    I agree. It was an overreaction on the part of the UFC, IMO.
    Doing it once like that no... doing it multiple times yes it did

Mir should have been fined/suspended as well for what he did.

Thread Information