+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Askren released fom bellator

Hybrid View

Default Ben Askren released fom bellator

Bellator MMA welterweight ace Ben Askren is now a former champion.

Askren, 12-0, was released by the promotion Thursday morning. Bellator announced the roster move with a press release.

“I’ve said it many times, Ben’s a completely one-dimensional fighter who is utterly dominant in that dimension,” declared Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney. “I had a number of discussions with Ben and it became clear it was time for both parties to move in different directions. We’ve relinquished any right to match here and Ben can sign with whoever he chooses to sign with. Ben’s been at Bellator since the start of his career, I respect him and what he’s accomplished and wish him the best wherever he goes.”

The 29-year-old wrestling standout starred at the University of Missouri and was a member of the 2008 Olympic team (74 KG) in Beijing. He last saw action in the cage in a dominant performance against Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 97. Askren is currently seated fifth in Sherdog.com’s official welterweight divisional rankings.

The Bellator 170-pound title will be vacated until Douglas Lima faces the winner of Ron Keslar and Rick Hawn, who compete Nov. 22 at Bellator 109 in Bethlehem, Penn.
    from sherdog.com
    Dan "The G.O.A.T." Henderson

Member of the Demian Maia fan club

Anderson VS Shogun 2012 Dana make it happen

So now I guess the question is, who does he fight first once he signs his UFC contract?

I think he should fight a top 5 opponent , that's for sure. Condit? Matt Bown? im not sure who but he should fight a top 5 opponent or have a warm up fight.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc_tim View Post
    I think he should fight a top 5 opponent , that's for sure. Condit? Matt Bown? im not sure who but he should fight a top 5 opponent or have a warm up fight.
    Matt Brown isn't top 5. But yea, somebody in the top 10 for sure should introduce Askren to the masses
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

kos or shields..good test.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Matt Brown fans should seriously rally against that fight.

A brawler who likes to get close and touch people would not enjoy what Askren's control does to them. That being said, Matt would have a chance to win for about :45 in each round prior to spending the rest in a straight jacket.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

WSoF should be aggressively trying to pick up Askren.

Askren vs Fitch for a sleeper of a main event.

Askren will be signed by the UFC in a matter of days I think. Askren has talked about GSP a lot lately so I don't think he will want to go somewhere else when the best of the best is in the UFC.

Default Bjorn Rebney Says He Has Released Bellator Champ Ben Askren, Is He UFC Bound?

Bjorn Rebney Says He Has Released Bellator Champ Ben Askren, Is He UFC Bound?

According to Bellator's Bjorn Rebney, he has released Ben Askren, making him free to sign wherever he pleases.

It looks like Bellator will be able to avoid the whole mess they had with Eddie Alvarez before as they currently deal with Ben Askren's contact situation and impending free agency. Bjorn Rebney has said that they have decided to release their current welterweight champion, making him free to sign where he pleases. He took to twitter to announce the news:

The talented wrestler in Askren last defended his Bellator title in July, but has recently kept active when he dusted off his wrestling shoes and competed on Agon I, winning a wrestling super-fight against two-time NCAA wrestling champ Quentin Wright.

As for where he will sign, Askren has been constantly calling out Georges St. Pierre on twitter, and he has again made it clear where he wants to compete:

The fight always seemed like a farfetched idea with both champs being locked in restrictive contracts, but with this announcement from Rebney, this could be a step closer towards that possibility.
    Askren vs. Shields.

I can't stand Askren i hope he ends up in the UFC and they feed him to someone who can work him. Brown and Condit would be horrible fights for them to take they get controlled for the duration of the fights.

I say Rory after he recovers from his fight against Lawler it would be the only fight i would actually root for Rory in.

The winner of Kos vs Woodley works for me too.

Thats if Askren signs with the UFC
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information