Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ben Askren released fom bellator

1. Default

Ex-Bellator champ Ben Askren addresses Dana White’s apparent disinterest
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/14/ex-b...t-disinterest/

Ben Askren‘s transition to the UFC might be a little funkier than he anticipated.

UFC President Dana White today said he’s not interested in signing the now-former Bellator welterweight champion despite his unrestricted free agency.

“No interest,” he today told MMAjunkie when asked about Askren. “Bellator doesn’t even have interest in him. He needs to get some wins and go from there. I feel bad for these kids (from Bellator).”
    Askren (12-0) initially gave a “no comment” via text message when contacted just hours after an earlier interview with MMAjunkie about his release from Bellator, which came this morning.

Moments later, after digesting White’s latest comment, Askren wrote, “(Dana) said he was interested two months ago, nothing had changed. We will see what happens.”
    White’s latest comments come three months after he said the UFC would talk to Askren, who ended his Bellator contract with a TKO win over Andrey Koreshkov and then entered a restricted free agency period. The UFC executive later railed at Bellator when its chairman and CEO, Bjorn Rebney, offered to unconditionally release Askren from his contract if he were to be granted an immediate shot at the UFC welterweight title.
    “They’re playing f—ing games,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “I don’t care what they’re doing. It doesn’t matter to me.”
    At one point, Askren, a two-time NCAA Division I national champion wrestler and 2008 Olympian, gave hints that he might hang up his gloves if caught in a protracted battle to become a free agent.

Despite previously expressing interest in the fighter, White has derided Askren as a boring fighter and questioned his ability to beat UFC fighters with the smothering, wrestling-centric style he’s used to dominate in Bellator.

Earlier today, Askren downplayed the seriousness of White’s previous criticisms.

“Dana’s a businessman, so I’m sure he sees the value that I can bring to the organization because they haven’t brought in a high-level 170-pounder in a while, so I think it would bring a lot of new and exciting matchups to the division,” Askren said.
    The 29-year-old fighter also labeled himself the No. 6 170-pound fighter in the division and said he’d be happy with a fighter ranked higher than him. His ideal scenario, however, is to fight immediately for a title.

“But if they offer me someone else good, (Carlos) Condit, (Jake) Shields or whoever, I’m good with that,” he said. “Obviously, I don’t want to have to fight a couple of scrubs.”
    Askren said his management company this morning sent paperwork to the UFC confirming his unconditional release, which cancels a matching period that followed the expiration of his contract.

The particulars of what led to the unconditional release from Bellator remain between Rebney and the fighter. Askren declined to discuss details of his negotiations with his former boss, saying only that Rebney’s offer “wasn’t the contract that fit me right, that I thought was fair.”

Askren commended Rebney for taking the necessary step so he may pursue his goal of being the No. 1 welterweight in the world. He admitted, however, to being surprised when he got his walking papers.
    “I think it’s a situations where both sides win; they don’t have to waste time with a long, drawn-out negotiation with me, and they can get on and crown a new champion, and I can go my way and try to negotiate my own contract,” he said. “I think this is a good move for both parties.”

Asked whether a move to the UFC was in the back of his mind during talks with Bellator, he said, “It’s always in my mind that I want to be the No. 1 fighter in the world, and however I can accomplish that, I’ll accomplish that.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Contract ploy by white or legit disinterest?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

So Dana said he is not interested in him? That means that Askren will be in the UFC before the year ends.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Contract ploy by white or legit disinterest?
    In all honesty, I would really like to see Askren fight Heiron or Fitch. I think winner of the fight should be granted a contract by UFC.

Maybe DW wants him to fight someone like that before he gets an invite. Both guys are higher ranked than Ben's last few opponents.

Bjorn Rebney calls UFC passing on Ben Askren 'disingenuous and ridiculous'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/1...singenuous-and

According to Rebney, Bellator didn't want to let Askren go and made him a "series of offers" to keep him in the fold.

"Ben's an anomoly. Ben's a freak. Ben's a freak the way Royce [Gracie] was a freak early in MMA. Completely one-dimensional fighter and just ridiculously dominant in that one dimension." Yet, Rebney noted, "he presents a weird conundrum from the MMA promoter's perspective."

"I talked to him about it. All of my communication has been with Ben. I just call him and he calls me back. We just go back and forth. His value of his perception in the marketplace was higher than my perception of his value to this company. I don't know what he's going to make where he goes. I hope he makes a fortune wrestling people to death.

"It was just a different opinion," Rebney continued. "I thought we made offers that were reasonable and fair. We made him a serious offer. We made him a series of offers and he came back and yelled at me. I made him a whole new series of offers. And then he came back again and wanted them to get bigger."

Ultimately, Rebney claims, they couldn't come close to an agreement on the terms of a deal to move forward together.

"We were just so far apart," he said. "I was like, 'Given who you are and the dynamics of MMA right now, I just think it'd probably be best if you went and did whatever you want to do, wherever you want to do it."

Still, Rebney had strong opinions in light of the UFC's apparent lack of interest in offering Askren an offer once he became an unrestricted free agent.

"I think it's disingenuous and ridiculous. If you stand up consistently at every press conference and meeting and every scrum and say the best fighters in the world fight here, and the No. 6-ranked welterweight in the world becomes available - unrestricted with no matching rights - and you don't even make him an offer, then you need to stop saying the greatest fighters in the world fight there.

"There are an awful lot of fighters in the UFC Ben Askren could beat 99 times out of 100, many of them in the top of that division," Rebney argued. "I just think it's disingenuous."

6. Default

Bjorn really sounds like an asshole.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i hope the UFC doesnt sign him. Only bellator guy im interested in and would want to see in the UFC is Alvarez.
    i would like to see chandler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He's there trojan horse. If he can win the title it legitimizes bellator's claims that their champs are just as good as UFC's.
    i disagree nobody in their right mind would say that the bellator fighters are even in the same league as all of the ufc contenders 185 and above.

if askren wins no one will think emmanuel newton will beat jon jones or schlemenko or however its spelled would beat weidman same goes for mankov and velasquez.

If I'm Hector Lombard I'm begging for this fight! Not only is Ben undefeated, but his style is one most would want to aviod. To be the man to KO a guy like that would leap frog any fighter into title discussion. Of course there is the matter of beating him to deal with first....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Thread Information