Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What mediocre fighter put together the best string of wins?

If not for the Big Foot lose, I would have to say Travis Browne.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

I'm sure more then a couple will disagree but I'm gonna throw Nick Diaz name in the mix. Sure he has good boxing and jiu jitsu.. but against guys that can wrestle or expose his limitations he struggled.

I figure if Forrest name can be thrown out there Nick is no different and I'd say Forrest had tougher opponents that he won against.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm sure more then a couple will disagree but I'm gonna throw Nick Diaz name in the mix. Sure he has good boxing and jiu jitsu.. but against guys that can wrestle or expose his limitations he struggled.

I figure if Forrest name can be thrown out there Nick is no different and I'd say Forrest had tougher opponents that he won against.
    he is not mediocre. there are plenty of very good fighters that have a glaring weakness.

Antonio Mckie. Sorry I forgot him.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

just realized joey beltran went on a pretty good run when he first got to the ufc.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    he is not mediocre. there are plenty of very good fighters that have a glaring weakness.
    Yes and that's why they can't string together a long run of wins without a run of favorable opponents.

Pat Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Pat Barry
    I like Pat Barry, but if you are looking for a string of wins, you probably don't want to look at his career.

Wilson Gouveia is another person that put together a nice streak, entering the ufc, then fell flat.. Or if you actually count the dq win against Jon Jones, Matt Hamill had a pretty solid streak. Hamill beat an no name, Munoz, Jones (i guess lol), Jardine, and Tito. Maybe we could throw Carwin or Gonzaga on the list as well
    Last edited by initial_zen; 11-16-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Yes and that's why they can't string together a long run of wins without a run of favorable opponents.
    diaz knocked out paul daley when he was regarded as the best striker in the world at the time and submitted a bjj black belt in cyborg right before that. he also out boxed bj penn.

someone who did that well at beating people at their own game is not mediocre. the only people he has lost to in the past 5 or 6 years are gsp and condit. there is no same in losing to either of those guys. gsp is the GOAT by far in that division and condit is a beast as well plus that was aclose fight.

Not too mention the last strong wrestler he faced prior to GSP he beat.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information