Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What mediocre fighter put together the best string of wins?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    diaz knocked out paul daley when he was regarded as the best striker in the world at the time and submitted a bjj black belt in cyborg right before that. he also out boxed bj penn.
    Really Daley was considered the best striker at the time ? Yes Daley had KO power no disputing that but the best striker seems like a bit if a stretch. I would have said at the time that Diaz was the better striker going into the fight.

Sure Santos was a black belt in BJJ they give those belts out like candy now a days. He's not exactly know for his submission skills as a fighter ( only has a couple wins by submission) I would not say Diaz beat him at his own game by going to the ground with Cyborg. Cyborg was know as more of a striker then a grappler at the time Cyborg was having success with leg kicks in the match had he kept it standing the fight may have ended differently.

He beat an undersized Penn by using his reach and size to clinch Penn up against the fence. I've already conceeded that Diaz has good boxing. In this case he used his strength and size to beat and undersized opponent. One of the few times Diaz actually used a gameplan.

someone who did that well at beating people at their own game is not mediocre. the only people he has lost to in the past 5 or 6 years are gsp and condit. there is no same in losing to either of those guys. gsp is the GOAT by far in that division and condit is a beast as well plus that was aclose fight.
    And that kind of goes to my point once faced with elite level guys he lost. He had what I consider to be an easy run while in Strikeforce against opponents he matched up favourably with. I'm not saying Diaz doesn't have talent or skills or even put on entertaining fights, but look at his career and what is the most impressive win he has ?

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Not too mention the last strong wrestler he faced prior to GSP he beat.
    Who ?
    Last edited by Rise; 11-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.

No one ever considered Daley the best striker in the world.

A dangerous fighter with heavy KO power? YES! the best striker in the world? don't make me laugh
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Stefan struve and matt mitrione. oh and rick story, defeated fighters like Hendricks and alves then got decisioned by Charlie brennemen.

Roy Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsunn View Post
    Stefan struve and matt mitrione. oh and rick story, defeated fighters like Hendricks and alves then got decisioned by Charlie brennemen.
    thatfight was literally on less than a days notice for story but hes still a good pick for this thread. i also just remembered evan dunham and jon madsen who won like 4 straight coming off the kimbo season of TUF.

couple more seth baczynski had a 4 fight winning streak and brad tavares is 6-1 in the ufc! who would've thought that.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 11-16-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Really Daley was considered the best striker at the time ? Yes Daley had KO power no disputing that but the best striker seems like a bit if a stretch. I would have said at the time that Diaz was the better striker going into the fight.

Sure Santos was a black belt in BJJ they give those belts out like candy now a days. He's not exactly know for his submission skills as a fighter ( only has a couple wins by submission) I would not say Diaz did not beat him at his own game by going to the ground with Cyborg. Cyborg was know as more of a striker then a grappler at the time Cyborg and was having success with leg kicks in the match had he kept it standing the fight may have ended differently.

He beat an undersized Penn by using his reach and size to clinch Penn up against the fence. I've already conceeded that Diaz has good boxing. In this case he used his strength and size to beat and undersized opponent. One of the few times Diaz actually used a gameplan.

And that kind of goes to my point once faced with elite level guys he lost. He had what I consider to be an easy run while in Strikeforce against opponents he matched up favourably with. I'm not saying Diaz doesn't have talent or skills or even put on entertaining fights, but look at his career and what is the most impressive win he has ?

Daley was CONSTANTLY referred to as the best striker around that time if he beat kos he would've had a title shot and TUF coaching gig. Just because you disagree doesn't mean that he wasnt regarded as the best striker at the time.

What has diaz done to prove to you that he is mediocre? all you are doing is discrediting everything he has every done without being able to point to anything that proved him to be mediocre unless you consider losing to gsp and condit(barely) and not getting finished by either makes you mediocre.

gsp has out wrestled everyone he has ever faced literally since he avenged his only two loses. mediocre refers to generally undercard fighters diaz was clearly a top 10 fighter during his run.

you should invest in a dictionary. mediocre means average or ordinary. top 10 guys aren't average run of the mill they are the elite fighters in their weight class.

just because someone wasn't a ufc champion doesn't mean they are mediocre. he lost to the number 1 and 2 guys in the world at the time.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 11-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Daley was CONSTANTLY referred to as the best striker around that time if he beat kos he would've had a title shot and TUF coaching gig. Just because you disagree doesn't mean that he wasnt regarded as the best striker at the time.
    Have any credible sources for Daley being referred to being the best striker at the time ? (Forum posters opinions don't count)
    I'll again say that I think Diaz was a better striker before and after they fought and can think of many others as well that I would rate ahead of Daley

Edit - I'll add in that Daley is not a credible source either because a quick search of mma articles shows him as being the only source of such claims

What has diaz done to prove to you that he is mediocre? all you are doing is discrediting everything he has every done without being able to point to anything that proved him to be mediocre unless you consider losing to gsp and condit(barely) and not getting finished by either makes you mediocre.
    It's not what he has done... it's what he hasn't done. Which is consistently beat top competition

gsp has out wrestled everyone he has ever faced literally since he avenged his only two loses. mediocre refers to generally undercard fighters diaz was clearly a top 10 fighter during his run.
    A softly ranked top 10 during that time

you should invest in a dictionary. mediocre means average or ordinary. top 10 guys aren't average run of the mill they are the elite fighters in their weight class.
    They have this thing called the internet now you don't need to buy a dictionary anymore:

me·di·o·cre

adjective
    1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: The car gets only mediocre mileage, but it's fun to drive. Synonyms: undistinguished, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday; run-of-the-mill. Antonyms: extraordinary, superior, uncommon, incomparable.
    2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior: Mediocre construction makes that building dangerous. Synonyms: meager, low-quality, second-rate; so-so. Antonyms: excellent, superior.

I think you can apply the underlined and bolded parts to Nick Diaz in terms of where he ranks in the overall scheme of things as a fighter

just because someone wasn't a ufc champion doesn't mean they are mediocre. he lost to the number 1 and 2 guys in the world at the time.
    I agree just because someone isn't a UFC champ doesn't mean they are mediocre i'm not basing my opinion off of that. I'm basing it off of Diaz being a softly ranked top 10 his string of wins coming against favourable competition and a lack of any really impressive wins.
    Last edited by Rise; 11-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.

mediocre means average or ordinary
    Mediocre means low level, inferior, bad quality

Thread Information