Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What mediocre fighter put together the best string of wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    me·di·o·cre

adjective
    1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: The car gets only mediocre mileage, but it's fun to drive. Synonyms: undistinguished, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday; run-of-the-mill. Antonyms: extraordinary, superior, uncommon, incomparable.
    2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior: Mediocre construction makes that building dangerous. Synonyms: meager, low-quality, second-rate; so-so. Antonyms: excellent, superior.
    Lol. Those two definitions aren't conflicting at all.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Lol. Those two definitions aren't conflicting at all.
    Conflicting would mean total opposites... it's a pretty broad term really

Conflicting isn't necessarily total opposites, just different. Saying something means neither good or bad and poor quality is conflicting.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Rise,

the whole hype for the koscheck fight was "the best striker in the division against the best wrestler outside of gsp classic striker versus wrestling match up blah blah blah".

i dont know what you mean by a "reputable source". do you want a scholarly analysis of welter weight strikers in 2011? go read message boards, editorials and all that jazz there were plenty calling him the best. it was a topic of debate as to whether he or alves was the best striker but more people thought it was daley.

just because in hindsight you dont agree, doesnt mean that nobody ever said that. your logic is off here.

I never thought Daley was even close to being the best striker at WW, never mind in all of MMA. I'd have put him behind Penn, Georges, Alves, and maybe a few other guys in 2011. I wouldn't read too much into shit zuffa craps out to hype a fight--they said that lesnar vs. Couture was the greatest HW match in MMA just a couple years before that. Yes, it was a classic grappler vs. striker matchup...but for that matter, I don't know that I'd say Kos was the best grappler outside of GSP.

But I still wouldn't call Diaz mediocre.

When I think of mediocre fighters, I think of a guy that excels in only one dimension, or a guy with terribly glaring weaknesses. Other than the snakes in his head, I don't think Diaz has a glaring weakness, and he's pretty well rounded. He could drop back into the WW division in 2014 and be a strong favorite to beat more than half of zuffa's top 10.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Rise,

the whole hype for the koscheck fight was "the best striker in the division against the best wrestler outside of gsp classic striker versus wrestling match up blah blah blah".

i dont know what you mean by a "reputable source". do you want a scholarly analysis of welter weight strikers in 2011? go read message boards, editorials and all that jazz there were plenty calling him the best. it was a topic of debate as to whether he or alves was the best striker but more people thought it was daley.

just because in hindsight you dont agree, doesnt mean that nobody ever said that. your logic is off here.
    By reputable sources I mean something other then the message boards or the UFC pre fight hype. How about a group of other fighters calling him this or trainers, coaches and managers anyone with a true expertise in the field.

I did a search no articles of Daley being mentioned as the best striker in MMA at all other then the ones where he makes such claims himself.

There is no hindsight... I keep saying this and not sure if you are just ignoring it or refusing to acknowledge it cause it runs counter to your point. At the time of the Diaz/Daley fight I would have rated Nick as being a better striker. So a win over Daley is not as impressive to me as it is to you.

Either way you are using a fight that Diaz was heavily favoured to win in as an example of him being better then mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Then that wouldn't be a mediocre fighter.
    ya you're probably right, Forrest is def better than mediocre, big time over-achiever for sure. how about Luiz Cane?
    Bow down before me as you will surely fall if you challenge me

That's a good one, same with Grispi and Terry Martin.

dan the beast in the end of his time in the sport

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    dan the beast in the end of his time in the sport
    Oh... you mean Severn?... pleeeease... he beat 100 guys... sure... aprox 75 of those were 0-0 at the time of their fight... but they count... don't they?

Thread Information