Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC working on adding a women's strawweight division

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I don't know why the UFC wouldn't want her.
    Because she doesn't know how to let go of a hold before getting power bombed on her head.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

I am sure next season's TUF will revolve around this... UFC is going to beat the success of female TUF into the ground, as they have with regular TUF.

What success?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Dana White ‘working on’ details for women’s 115-pound weight class
    “We’re just working on it,” White told MMAjunkie of when the 115-pound division will debut. “I really don’t have any details yet, but we’re interested in it and trying to figure out how to do it.”

With the women’s bantamweight division being introduced earlier this year, White previously said another women’s division wouldn’t come along for the foreseeable future. That tone changed this week when White revealed the UFC would introduce a 10th weight class that would feature 115-pound female fighters. When asked what prompted his change of heart, White pointed out the caliber of fighters in the division was the most attractive quality.

“It’s a good division,” White said. “It’s full of talent, and we like it.”

As of now, a majority of the world’s elite strawweight talent is signed to other organizations. The all-female promotion Invicta FC has a wealth of quality fighters that would make a perfect addition to the division when it inevitably comes together. A majority of those fighters could be locked up in exclusive deals, though, which would make signing with the UFC explicitly more difficult.

In the past the UFC has purchased other promotions as a means of obtaining talent, but in this circumstance, White says attempting to buy out Invicta would be a blow to the overall development of women’s MMA.

“We can’t just go out and buy up all these companies and make them go away,” White said. “These companies need to exist. If Invicta went away, it’s an outlet for women to get fights, get experience, get paid – it would not be good if that went away.”

For now, White is focused on hammering out the necessary details for the UFC’s fifth new weight class in just under three years and is eager to create the division and give women in the sport more opportunities.

“I like it,” White said. “I’m working on it.”
    http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/18/dana...-weight-class/
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I'd rather see them keep well known male fighter instead of adding tiny women nobody knows or cares about.

6. 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    What success?
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...all-women-TUF/

This season of The Ultimate Fighter famously featured for the first time both male and female competitors.

MMAFighting's Dave Meltzer recently noticed a clear pattern this season - people are more interested in the female fights than the male fights.

There has been an up-and-down pattern in the ratings. As in, the week of a women's fight, the audience is up. The two women's fights, airing on Sept. 12 and Sept. 26, did 870,000 and 778,000 viewers live. The men's fights on Sept. 19 and Oct. 3 did 639,000 and 640,000. While the live ratings are down with the move to Fox Sports 1, most weeks it has been the most watched sports event on television for the night, particularly in the target Male 18-49 demographic.

The ratings still suck. And that's not a knock on the women or the smaller weight classes. That's a knock on the entire TUF format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

The women's MMA is so thin adding another division makes so little sense. Guessing Dana is going to try and hype attractive girls.

Thread Information