Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Official UFC 167: St. Pierre vs Hendricks discussion thread

wow...i just watched the fight expecting an absolute robbery because of everything ive been seeing on social media and what not but boy was i wrong. it was a really close fight and a valid case could be made that gsp won three rounds albeit doing way less damage.

i saw people on other sites saying this is worse than shogun/machida. no way in hell was this a worse decision. honestly it is more the scoring system's fault than the judges themselves this time. pride scoring system hendricks would have definitely won the fight

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Joe Rogam has been increasingly worse all the time. His bias for certain fighters is brutal. I not sure I would even call him the better half of the broadcasting duo at this point.
    you are right it was horrible and has been getting worse. not sure if you saw the villante fight but joe was ripping on him hardcore the whole fight and complimenting the otherguy. then in the middle of it all villante knocks the dude out i was laughing at how stupid rogan made himself look.

The St. Pierre fight was super close. I was moderatly surprised at the decision but need to see it again. I had a tough time scoring the fight and am still not sure about it. Anyway I had to work this morning so I didn't watch the presser so I don't know what it is that was said. St. Pierre always looks busted up after fights, sure Hendricks landed some big shots but the fight should not be scored by who cuts and bruises easier. Super close fight, I was riveted the entire time.

I am very happy St. Pierre "retired" and I hope he does not come back to MMA to compete. He was an amazing competitor but I think it is time to go before he gets hurt badly.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Observations:
    I could see the fight going either way. I'd have scored it close for Hendricks, but I didn't feel it was a robbery. I didn't even feel like it was worse than the Goose/Jones decision. I certainly didn't think it compared to Shogun/Machida 1.

HORRIBLE game plan for Georges, but ups to him for being willing to mix it up and not play it as safe as I'd suspected.

As far as his psuedo retirement, I REALLY think it's time for zuffa to have a policy regarding title defenses. If a champ doesn't defend at least once in a 12 month period, strip them. I'd love to see the 4-person/2-round tourneys that the CSAC did for SF as a compromise for real tourneys, but I doubt we'll see either.

I'll reserve judgement on the motivation behind Georges' leave of absence until we find out what it's about. If he's hurt or has serious family issues to attend to, ups to him for getting his priorities right, but he should have at least mentioned it to dana first, knowing what an asshole dana is prone to be. If he's pursuing a money-making adventure, he's a bitch and zuffa should cut him. Fighters fight, champions defend.

dana was a typical asshole. I don't expect anything more from him.

Hendricks has always been too whiney for me to really get behind. I can understand being pissed about a close decision that he felt went the wrong way, but it occurred to me that I really don't want him as WW champ, as I don't see him as a good ambassador for the sport. I understand that dana's assholery is fuel for Hendricks' whiney fire, but he could have taken the high road. It seems like NOBODY in MMA has any concept of a high road anymore. Thanks for that, zuffa.

That being said, I think Condit beats Hendricks in a rematch, if he has a strong game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Everywhere but the damage department it was close. There it was a blow out
    damage isn't a department.

Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    I'll start by sqying I dislike gsp the fighter to no end I also think hendricks won that fight withiut a shadow of a doubt but how good was it to seeca gsp fight that was actually exciting and contested
    I thought so too. I was surprised when he went in for exchanges and actually shot for TD's in the first. I was pretty certain at that point that he was going to retire, and was trying to go out with a statement. But I figured it his strategy would lose him the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    wow...i just watched the fight expecting an absolute robbery because of everything ive been seeing on social media and what not but boy was i wrong. it was a really close fight and a valid case could be made that gsp won three rounds albeit doing way less damage.
    Exactly. I've watched it twice times now, and watched that first round 4 times. Anyone thinking it was anything close to a robbery is watching it with bias to the point where they're blinded.

DAMAGE DOESN'T FACTOR IN SCORING. It never has. Throw that out of the equation, and the first round is pretty 50/50.

But it wasn't anything close to a robbery, no matter who you think won.

I don't agree with immediate rematches, but zuffa set a precedent for them with all the Frankie Edgar fights. If they don't give one to Goose, I don't see why Hendricks should get one...but I wouldn't be shocked if zuffa makes an immediate rematch in...say 6 months...and if GSP doesn't accept, they strip him, and bomb the market with nonsense about what a "robbery" the decision was in an attempt to legitimize Hendrick's place in the division.

you are right it was horrible and has been getting worse. not sure if you saw the villante fight but joe was ripping on him hardcore the whole fight and complimenting the otherguy. then in the middle of it all villante knocks the dude out i was laughing at how stupid rogan made himself look.
    I haven't listened to a UFC event with the sound on for about 5 or six years.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    As far as his psuedo retirement, I REALLY think it's time for zuffa to have a policy regarding title defenses. If a champ doesn't defend at least once in a 12 month period, strip them. I'd love to see the 4-person/2-round tourneys that the CSAC did for SF as a compromise for real tourneys, but I doubt we'll see either.

I'll reserve judgement on the motivation behind Georges' leave of absence until we find out what it's about. If he's hurt or has serious family issues to attend to, ups to him for getting his priorities right, but he should have at least mentioned it to dana first, knowing what an asshole dana is prone to be. If he's pursuing a money-making adventure, he's a bitch and zuffa should cut him. Fighters fight, champions defend.

dana was a typical asshole. I don't expect anything more from him.

rh
    I have to agree, but to me I couldn't care less what his motivation is for leaving and I hope he leaves forever. He (St. Pierre) hasn't looked nearly as good since he blew his knee and I think it is time. I saw a quote from Dana and I don't have a source but he basically said St. Pierre owes the UFC which is totally bogus to me esp when Dana also says that St. Pierre is the biggest draw ever. Dana from that quote is being outrageous in my eyes and should be supporting the guy who brings the most money in and thanking him for being involved in such a great fight.

I see Hendricks or Condit as the next WW champion and that is cool with me. When, and I'm saying when because I'm optimistic that St. Pierre will retire fully, St. Pierre relinquishes the belt I will be changing my vote to wanting to see Condit with the belt.

I was very impressed with Hendricks' ability to control St. Pierre, I did not think we would see as much clinch game so that was neat. Also impressed with the cardio that Hendricks showed and I think he will be a top contender or champion for the foreseeable future.

Koscheck needs to take a break.

Lawler was impressive, I don't care what people saw about Rory, he was impressive and that was an awesome fight! Don't have to go toe to toe to impress the blood thirsty slobberknocker fans.

A+ to the card!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

I had scored it a draw but rounds 1 and 2 were very close, but I think GSP could have stolen them. GSP won rounds 3 and 5 without a doubt IMO.. Hendricks got the 4th but he gassed at the end of the second and possibly gave that round back to GSP.

I thought they judges would score it for Hendricks but I've never jumped so high in my life when GSP won, I was worried.

Right guy won.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

It was no worse at all then the Jones/Gustafson fight. Jones got his ass beat and lost that fight. GSP made a case and I didn't feel it was a robbery either RH.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Great card overall though

Lawlor/Rory: Wow what a brawl I was on my feet this whole fight and it could have been FOTN. I really like Rory but I always root for Lawlor, how can't you like the dude and the way he fights? I didn't really care who won at the start but Robbie Lawlor fucking fought ridiculous.. Rory doesn't make mistakes and does't get caught, Lawlor brought the old school back like Belfort last night! Good call by the judges. LAWLOR VS HENDRICKS NEXT!??!??!?!?!!?

Woodley/Koscheck: I knew someone was going to sleep early, and kind of expected it to be Koscheck going down. He is a shadow of his former self and abandoned his wrestling and anyone who gets hit with those kind of shots are going to hit the canvas. I think Koscheck needs to hang it up.. Give Woodley someone like Damien Maia or Rick Story or a rematch with Shields I'd even go for after 1 more fight, but a real scrap would be Woodley vs Lorenz Larkin if they could meet in weight.

Rashad/Chael: Exactly how I predicted.. I said it would look a lot like Tito/Rashad. I didn't see the focus and fire in Chael at all leading up to the fight and he wasn't mentally prepared for the kind of athlete Rashad Evans is. Rashad vs Belfort anyone?????? Maybe.. Rashad vs ..? Lots of good opportunities..

Saw several people on another forum (sorry, cheating on you guys ), that they thought Hendericks tapped in round 1, anyone else see that?

Just watched again, didn't look like it, the tapping looked like it happened just after GSP let go of the pressure so likely not a tap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMCVSV4v7WA

Thread Information