Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White on the NASC, Koscheck being cut, GSP's "problems", Hendricks vs GSP II

1. Default Dana White on the NASC, Koscheck being cut, GSP's "problems", Hendricks vs GSP II

Dana White on Nevada Athletic Commission: 'I'm f-- scared to come back here'
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/1...come-back-here

LAS VEGAS -- As far as UFC president Dana White is concerned, the controversial split decision in favor of Georges St-Pierre in his UFC 167 welterweight title defense against Johny Hendricks was the Nevada Athletic Commission's final straw.

"The state athletic commission is atrocious," a riled-up White said at the post-fight press conference at the MGM Grand. "I think they need to step in immediately before they destroy this sport like they did with boxing. It used to be the best commission in the world. It's absolutely incompetence. I'm f--- scared to come back here and do fights."
    While White has complained about the commission overseen by executive director Keith Kizer in the past -- on everything from the choice of referees to the decisions rendered by judges -- White felt that the split decision in favor of St-Pierre belongs in the company of controversial calls made in the recent past in the sport of boxing.

First, Tim Bradley was given an unexpected decision against Manny Pacquiao. Then a bizzare score in Floyd Mayweather's victory over Saul "Canelo" Alvarez prompted Nevada governor Brian Sandoval to step in and push out the judge involved.

"What more can I do?" White said. "Obviously when there's a huge boxing fight and they f--- up, holy s---, the world stops and we gotta fix this thing. Pacquiao lost that fight and it almost happened to Mayweather in a fight he clearly won. You know? I just don't know what else needs to be done. Its unfortunate."
    White said that the company may need to reconsider how many events it stages in its hometown if changes aren't made.

"We have a great relationship with the MGM, we have a great relationship with Mandalay Bay, this is our hometown, this is where we live," he said. "And our athletic commission is the weakest commission in the country. When you start looking at next year's schedule, how many events do you want to do in Vegas?"

Dana White: Josh Koscheck won't be cut despite third straight loss
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/1...-straight-loss

The cast members of the first and most memorable season of The Ultimate Fighter have been rapidly becoming an endangered species.

There are four fighters left. But neither Mike Swick, due to constantly battling an illness, nor Chris Leben, battling demons and losses, are considered top tier fighters right now. The two remaining fighters at a significant level are Diego Sanchez and Josh Koscheck.

But after Saturday’s loss to Tyron Woodley, Koscheck (19-8) may also be out of that category after being knocked out at 4:38 of the first round. It wasn’t so much Koscheck being knocked out, since Woodley (12-2) was favored to beat him, but that Koscheck was knocked down three times before being finished, nearly every time a solid right landed.

Koscheck was so shaken up after the fight that Dana White went into the cage to speak with him and make sure he was okay. White also revealed that after the fight, Koscheck sent him a text message, which he described as something that may have been him saying he was retiring.

Still, White, doesn’t think Koscheck should be done.

In the post-press conference scrum, White brought up the text and said he thought Koscheck still had some fight left in him.

"The other guys’s a beast," said White, who said he thought Koscheck hurt Woodley early before being finished.
    It was Koscheck’s third straight loss. Three is often the magic number, although White had many times noted a fondness or the cast of the first season. Without it, UFC very likely wouldn’t exist, and almost surely wouldn’t under White’s management.

Koscheck was also knocked out in his previous fight against Robbie Lawler. Before that, he lost a split decision to Johny Hendricks, in a fight that many thought Koscheck had won.

White noted Koscheck comes out, gets booed by most of the fans, and then almost always performs.

But the concerning thing wasn’t the two previous losses, as the Hendricks fight today hardly is a demerit, and he got caught in a bad position with Lawler, one of the hardest punchers in the division.

But the concerning issue is that Koscheck went down from punches that the old Koscheck would have likely stood up to, considering he went three rounds without being hurt significantly by Hendricks, a much bigger puncher.

Dana White: GSP’s Problems “Aren’t as Bad as He Thinks They Are”
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-...-ufc-167-video

Defiant Dana White: Georges St. Pierre will not retire, owes Johny Hendricks -- and UFC fans -- immediate rematch
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/17/5...ire-owes-johny

Saturday night's (Nov. 16, 2013) split-decision in the UFC 167 main event between Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks left many people screaming "controversy!" Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White is among that group of people.

To those who watched the fight between St. Pierre and Hendricks, it looked like it was going to be a very clear decision for Hendricks (highlights here). He landed the harder strikes over five rounds and their faces told the story. St. Pierre's looked like he was in a car accident (pic here). Hendricks' looked like he got done with a light run.

But the controversial ending isn't what has the UFC President steaming. It's that St. Pierre apparently retired in his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan, though he never used the exact word.

"Did he say he wants to retire? He didn't say 'I'm gonna retire, I'm hanging it up. It's been great everybody. Thanks a lot for all the years. See you later.' He said "I'm gonna take some time off.' First off, that decision that happens, you don't just say, 'Oh I'm going to take a while time off. Maybe I'll be back, maybe I won't.' ... You owe it to the fans, you owe it to the belt, you owe it to this company, and you owe it to Johny Hendricks give him that opportunity for him to fight again."
    Strong words, but true.

Had St. Pierre formally retired, UFC would be able to move forward with the Welterweight division. By saying he needs to take some years off, he's not only holding up the division, but also holding onto a belt that he has no intentions of defending.

"What happened tonight is not Georges St. Pierre's fault, he didn't choose himself the winner. I know Georges as a man, I know the type of person that he is and the right thing needs to be done here. The guy is going to go home, rest and fight Johny Hendricks again."
    Good to know that cooler heads will prevail.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

There's the quote I was talking about! Thank you sak! Dana cannot say that Georges problems aren't so big, I hate it when someone tells me my problem is not as big as I think it is, who are they to know? Georges doesn't owe anyone anything, he finally fought Hendricks and had one hell of a tough fight. I do think he should relinquish the belt but please Dana give him some time to clear his head. Poor guy, got clobbered a lot and took a beating and everyone is on him for saying something that is mostly obscure and even Georges was saying he needs to clear his head out before giving a solid answer. Dana is too reactionary and I feel he should be thanking Georges and Johnny for a crazy good fight!

Double standard with Cruz? It is somewhat similar since no one knew how long Cruz would be gone and no one knows how long Georges will be gone.

Also I need to bitch again about how peoples' faces look, some people get busted up and bruised a lot easier than others, BJ for example doesn't so much regardless of the beating he took. I bet Johnny's face is bruised and sore today.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

3. Default

Everyone here on the forums knows I'm not a Dana basher. I've disagreed with him before but tried to support him generally. And the way he acted after the fight, and continues to do so is down right sickening.

Not to draw parallels, but over in the NFL, a huge sport here in America, you have the story of Jonathan Martin and the aspect of mental toughness and mental health issues.

You now have your champion, the greatest WW fighter of all time, talking about his mental health and the president of the UFC comes out and says "Oh it's not that bad."

It's just sad to think that GSP hasn't earned that respect.

Also if you go back and read some of my posts prior to UFC 167, I actually became somewhat of a Hendricks fan. Seemed very down to earth and likable. Following the loss, he acted extremely poor and showed that mentally, he doesn't have what it takes to be a champ.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Everyone here on the forums knows I'm not a Dana basher. I've disagreed with him before but tried to support him generally. And the way he acted after the fight, and continues to do so is down right sickening.

Not to draw parallels, but over in the NFL, a huge sport here in America, you have the story of Jonathan Martin and the aspect of mental toughness and mental health issues.

You now have your champion, the greatest WW fighter of all time, talking about his mental health and the president of the UFC comes out and says "Oh it's not that bad."

It's just sad to think that GSP hasn't earned that respect.

Also if you go back and read some of my posts prior to UFC 167, I actually became somewhat of a Hendricks fan. Seemed very down to earth and likable. Following the loss, he acted extremely poor and showed that mentally, he doesn't have what it takes to be a champ.
    I do not know how he acted poor or showed a mentally that he doesn't have what it takes to be champion. He was interviewed in the moment right after he got screwed. He was pissed and upset which is completely understandable. He has been busting his ass day and day out for years to achieve this goal and was robbed. I would be worried if the guy wasn't pissed off and just laid down and took it.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Give Kos and Leben their grudge match at catch weight then send em off to pasture.

Well can Leben make 170 at this point? I would rather see Kos move up or Leben move down instead of a catchweight.
    Meh, does it matter really?

Just seems fitting to let these two go at it one final time before hanging up the gloves.

Well let's not put the cart before the horse. We may see some vintage Leben against Hall unless Hall smother fucks him to death to save his job.

Problem is, if Leben loses, I just don't see him still being on the UFCs roster.

I think a Kos vs Leben fight could hype both of them up though and we get an endless loop of TUF 1 highlights like Leben going Walking Dead mode smashing through doors before they were cardboard.

Maybe Kos can get Bobby in to corner him.

Thread Information