Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White on the NASC, Koscheck being cut, GSP's "problems", Hendricks vs GSP II

1. Default

I think Bobby is still trying to get that weight cut think down.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    I do not know how he acted poor or showed a mentally that he doesn't have what it takes to be champion. He was interviewed in the moment right after he got screwed. He was pissed and upset which is completely understandable. He has been busting his ass day and day out for years to achieve this goal and was robbed. I would be worried if the guy wasn't pissed off and just laid down and took it.
    I worry about his mental health if he genuinely thinks he was robbed. He had a close fight with a dominant champ and was losing when the final bell rang. He absolutely did NOTHING to make it look like a robbery: anyone who thinks he did either hates Georges, loves Johny, or erroneously thinks damage is part of scoring.

But again, I'd prefer a fighter who was gracious in both victory and defeat. Shogun was robbed far more egregiously against Machida and he didn't whine about it. He just went out and re-earned the belt.

I was fine with Hendricks until the whining started. I can't help but think he's a punk now.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I worry about his mental health if he genuinely thinks he was robbed. He had a close fight with a dominant champ and was losing when the final bell rang. He absolutely did NOTHING to make it look like a robbery: anyone who thinks he did either hates Georges, loves Johny, or erroneously thinks damage is part of scoring.

But again, I'd prefer a fighter who was gracious in both victory and defeat. Shogun was robbed far more egregiously against Machida and he didn't whine about it. He just went out and re-earned the belt.

I was fine with Hendricks until the whining started. I can't help but think he's a punk now.

rh
    I guess this is more the coach in me than anything else. I prefer to see a guy get pissed off after a loss than just take it and accept it. I will take a kid that kicks over a trash can and cries after losing a tough match over a kid that just shrugs it off any day of the week. The person who gets pissed is a person who cares.

Take Shogun for example, he cried after Machida got his hand raised. He had tears in his eyes it hurt so much he lost that fight. Some guys just show their emotion differently. Shogun got upset and had tears in his eyes and Hendricks got pissed off. It's the same thing, they both showed how much the title meant to them and I am fine with it.

Also, close doesn't mean there can't be a clear winner. Cruz v. Faber II, Aldo v. Edgar, Brown v. Faber II where all close fights but each one had a clear cut winner. Every single media outlet covering the fight scored it for Hendricks, these are people who for the most part cover combat sports or sports in general for a living. I would say 95% of this forum scored the fight for Hendricks and all of us are huge fans who watch MMA all the time and have a great understanding for the sport. Hendricks was robbed, end of discussion.

This though should not take anything away from the fight. It was a great fight and personally my favorite moment was GSP in the 5th round. The guy just came out and put it all the line and took it to Hendricks and fought like I have not seen GSP fight for a long time.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

4. Default

I guess this is more the coach in me than anything else. I prefer to see a guy get pissed off after a loss than just take it and accept it. I will take a kid that kicks over a trash can and cries after losing a tough match over a kid that just shrugs it off any day of the week. The person who gets pissed is a person who cares.

Take Shogun for example, he cried after Machida got his hand raised. He had tears in his eyes it hurt so much he lost that fight. Some guys just show their emotion differently. Shogun got upset and had tears in his eyes and Hendricks got pissed off. It's the same thing, they both showed how much the title meant to them and I am fine with it.

Also, close doesn't mean there can't be a clear winner. Cruz v. Faber II, Aldo v. Edgar, Brown v. Faber II where all close fights but each one had a clear cut winner. Every single media outlet covering the fight scored it for Hendricks, these are people who for the most part cover combat sports or sports in general for a living. I would say 95% of this forum scored the fight for Hendricks and all of us are huge fans who watch MMA all the time and have a great understanding for the sport. Hendricks was robbed, end of discussion.

This though should not take anything away from the fight. It was a great fight and personally my favorite moment was GSP in the 5th round. The guy just came out and put it all the line and took it to Hendricks and fought like I have not seen GSP fight for a long time.
    Because they gave the first to Hendricks. Its the only round in question.

And to say 95% scored for Hendricks here on the boards is completely false.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

For me, the difference is class. Shogun showed emotion, but with class.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

it was an incredibly close fight, no one will dispute that, and it really could have gone either way. When it is as close as it was, and it is a Championship fight, the nod should go to the Champ. Hendricks was not the clear winner - he didn't take that belt away.

I understand Dana calling for an immediate rematch. However, GSP's head is clearly not into it. As much of a fan I am of GSP's, if after a few days he still feels the same way, I'd like to see him relinquish the belt, and go and take care of himself. If he got to the point where he's ready to compete again, he should get an immediate title shot - he has easily earned that. Dana wants whats best for his company, but George should do what's best for him.

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    it was an incredibly close fight, no one will dispute that, and it really could have gone either way. When it is as close as it was, and it is a Championship fight, the nod should go to the Champ. Hendricks was not the clear winner - he didn't take that belt away.

I understand Dana calling for an immediate rematch. However, GSP's head is clearly not into it. As much of a fan I am of GSP's, if after a few days he still feels the same way, I'd like to see him relinquish the belt, and go and take care of himself. If he got to the point where he's ready to compete again, he should get an immediate title shot - he has easily earned that. Dana wants whats best for his company, but George should do what's best for him.
    Nailed it!

I've never agreed with the "To Be The Man, You Have To BEAT The Man" stuff.

But I don't think that played into it. Georges ended the fight in a better position, and ending fights counts more in most judges eyes than starting them.

Again, I didn't really care about the outcome in this bout. I've rooted against Georges multiple times, I've rooted for him on others. I liked what I knew about Hendricks, and gave him as decent a chance as anyone GSP has faced.

But recently, both guys wore me out with the incessant whining about VADA, WADA, yadda yadda. I wasn't rooting for either guy to win, I just wanted both of them to shut up and fight.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I've never agreed with the "To Be The Man, You Have To BEAT The Man" stuff.

But I don't think that played into it. Georges ended the fight in a better position, and ending fights counts more in most judges eyes than starting them.

Again, I didn't really care about the outcome in this bout. I've rooted against Georges multiple times, I've rooted for him on others. I liked what I knew about Hendricks, and gave him as decent a chance as anyone GSP has faced.

But recently, both guys wore me out with the incessant whining about VADA, WADA, yadda yadda. I wasn't rooting for either guy to win, I just wanted both of them to shut up and fight.

rh
    And fight they did!

Hendricks never stopped with the doping accusations, even right up to the fight, after GSP passed the tests. I got very tired of it as well, but clearly Hendricks was the antagonist. When he said that if he lost, he lost to drugs right before the fight, that confirmed to me that Hendricks is clearly not the sharpest tool in in the shed. That statement pissed me right off.
    Last edited by dan the man 67; 11-17-2013 at 06:42 PM.

How about some round of applause to the deserved #1 contender, ROBBIE LAWLER?

I believe Robbie deserves it, especially how he beat the guy that UFC was promoting to be the next challenger for the title, Rory MacDonald. It was probably the most impressive performance of his career, and IMO he exposed how bringing the fight to Rory makes him frustrated, as Rory clearly did not like how he wasnt able to establish his jab and work his takedowns for a safe victory.

If GSP does leave, he should relinquish that belt, and let' setup Hendricks vs Lawler for the title.

Thread Information