Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP retirement: I'm going crazy, can't sleep, have issues, and need to get away

1. Default GSP retirement: I'm going crazy, can't sleep, have issues, and need to get away

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/17/5...s-ufc-167-news

ollowing his controversial (check out the Fight Metric report with complete stats here) split decision victory over Johny Hendricks in the main event of last night's (Sat., Nov. 16, 2013) UFC 167: "St. Pierre vs. Hendricks" pay-per-view (PPV) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada (watch highlights of the bout here), Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre revealed he needed to step away from the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA).

Maybe for good.

When pressed by color commentator Joe Rogan inside the Octagon, "Rush" refused to reveal exactly what prompted such a drastic decision. After all, this is the sport's biggest drawing card and quite possibly its most famous star. His hinting at retirement is a big deal and the fact that he wouldn't offer any particular reason for as much was both mildly alarming and curiosity arousing.

As it turns out, he's having some personal issues.

During the post-fight press conference, St. Pierre was poked and prodded just enough to offer a little insight into his decision. His words:

"I get very emotional after the fight. You know, I have so much stress, so much stuff going on in my life right now and I don't know what to say. It is what it is, you know. ... I have stuff going on in my life. I need to make a point in my life, okay? This is my personal life, I cannot speak to you about this. ... I understand the point of view for the UFC and everything. It's bad for them if I leave like this. Like I said, I need to make a point man. I can't sleep at night now, I'm going crazy. I have issues, man. I need to relax. I need to get out for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do."
    Based on that quote and that quote alone, it's impossible to know exactly what's wrong with the longtime welterweight king. Perhaps the pressures of being just that have finally taken their toll, not to mention a long career in combat sports.

Before he ever got the chance to make those comments, his boss, UFC President Dana White, had some harsh words on St. Pierre's decision, even before he knew what was going on:

"To get up there and especially after you were in a fight like that to say that 'I'm going to take some time off and you know,' I don't even know what it meant. What it said doesn't make sense to me. But you don't do it. Let's say he had health problems or something like that. He wouldn't be fighting if he had health problems. You're the world champion, you've held the belt for seven years, you've been in this company forever. First of all, you don't go up there after a fight like that and just say 'hey, I'm going to go take some time off and do whatever'. If that's the case, retire."
    So, essentially, White didn't feel the need to wait to hear what St. Pierre had to say on what his problems are because if they were bad enough, he wouldn't have been allowed to step inside the cage last night.

That's a dangerous assumption.

What made it worse is St. Pierre's eventual revelation. After his comments, White immediately got protective of his employee, refuting multiple questions from reporters who continually attempted to probe St. Pierre on his condition.

Perhaps he had a quick change of heart after hearing "GSP" talk about his issues.

There's nothing to do now but wait and see what else comes out on this story. For his part, White would later say he still believes he'll be able to put together an immediate rematch.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I feel bad for Georges and grumbly at Dana...the guy has fought and brought in so much money and the moment he talks about some time off Dana poops his pants. People have to live their lives and I thank Georges for a great career in front of us all.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Default White: GSP vs Hendricks 2 on Deck

White: GSP vs Hendricks 2 on Deck

It's amazing the difference 15 minutes can make.

At the UFC 167 post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was visibly upset at the premise that welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was potentially going to ask for an undetermined amount of time off without giving any other answers regarding his return or retirement from the sport.

White noted several times during the 30-plus minute press conference that fighters don't get sabbaticals, much less champions who are the biggest draw in the entire company. Luckily, White had a chance to catch up with St-Pierre after the media session and a 15-minute conversation changed the UFC president's entire view on what's coming next for the welterweight champion of the world.

"His problems aren't as bad as he thinks they are. They're personal problems. We'll get through this. I'm confident that he will (come back)," White revealed when speaking with reporters after his conversation with St-Pierre.

"I think everything's going to be fine, I think everything's going to roll just like it always does."

St-Pierre didn't want to speak about his personal life when discussing the problems he was having that led him to the decision to take time away from the sport. White believes that everything was simply blown out of proportion and he will work with St-Pierre to make sure that he gets help with whatever he needs and then returns to action within a reasonable timeline.

As of now, White is planning on putting together an immediate rematch between St-Pierre and top contender Johny Hendricks after their fight ended in very controversial fashion on Saturday night at UFC 167. White specifically stated that he doesn't believe St-Pierre will sit out for any extended period of time, and Hendricks won't have to fight again in the interim.

"No I don't think so," White told FOX Sports when asked if St-Pierre would be out for any time longer than normal. "I think he's very emotional about some sh*t that's going on with him right now and it's really not that bad. But to him it is, it's the end of the world. He's a mentally strong guy, he's a hard working guy, he's an honest guy, he's a good guy. He'll get it straightened out.

"I don't think it's going to be a waiting situation. I don't think it's going to be like that. We might have figured everything out tonight."

So despite a decision that left many shocked and maybe even appalled that Hendricks didn't walk out of UFC 167 as the welterweight champion, he won't have to face another fighter or wait for another title to be handed out. Hendricks will get another crack at St-Pierre as soon as the champion is ready to return.
    "His problems aren't as bad as he thinks they are. They're personal problems. We'll get through this. I'm confident that he will (come back)," White revealed when speaking with reporters after his conversation with St-Pierre.

"I think everything's going to be fine, I think everything's going to roll just like it always does."
    I just assume GSP's about to have an unplanned GSP Jr. That's all.

I have no problem with him taking time off. If he feels he needs it, he has earned it. Does it suck that Hendricks won't get a rematch right away, yea it does. But GSP needs to do what is right for GSP and I hope he does. If needs to retire or take sometime off I hope he does. I would not like to see GSP lose the title because he has mental issues or can not focus on fighting.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Dana White is acting like an idiot. Gsp gave the ufc years of his life and worked his ass off, if he needs to take a step back, he should be able to do that with out getting berated by a boss, who is having a temper tantrum.

You know, I have so much stress, so much stuff going on in my life right now and I don't know what to say. It is what it is, you know. ... I have stuff going on in my life. I need to make a point in my life, okay? This is my personal life, I cannot speak to you about this. ... I understand the point of view for the UFC and everything. It's bad for them if I leave like this. Like I said, I need to make a point man. I can't sleep at night now, I'm going crazy. I have issues, man. I need to relax. I need to get out for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do."
    I called it last night after watching the post fight interview: pussy. He's all twisted up over some pussy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

7. Default

What makes this even more sad as far as how Dana is coming off, not even a week ago he said that he wouldn't for sure give GSP a rematch had GSP lost.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Aliens.

They finally got Georges like he has always worried about.

Not a gsp fan by any stretch but this makes me sad.

15 minutes before, it's said if he wins he has nothing left to prove. Then he wins, says he's mixed up and needs some time, and the money grabbers start their manipulation.

It's sad.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I don't know what gsp's issues are so I won't even try to comment on that, but as far as him "giving up years of his life for the ufc"... no, he got paid for his job, that's why he did it, it wasn't a favor to anyone but his bank account. I saw something about him needing "years off"? Fuck that, you drop the belt then take all the time in the world.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

11. 11-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Thread Information