Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP retirement: I'm going crazy, can't sleep, have issues, and need to get away

Johny Hendricks to Georges St-Pierre "If you can't handle being champion, give it up"
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/23/5...t-handle-being

Hendricks appeared on AXS Television's Inside MMA on Friday night (Nov. 22, 2013) and spoke with host Kenny Rice about St-Pierre's supposed hiatus from the sport.

"Dude I've got three kids. You know what I'm saying? Talk about sleep? Are you kidding me? Everybody's got problems in life. That's the way it is. If you can't handle being champion, give it up. We chose to get into that octagon, we chose not to sleep. I don't know how many times I've went to bed at five, six o'clock in the morning and woke up at 10, running four miles because I wanted to beat GSP that bad. Dude, who cares. I chose this life. Tell yourself whatever you need to. Just get back in that octagon with me. I can't wait for the rematch."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Johny Hendricks to Georges St-Pierre "If you can't handle being champion, give it up"
    Johny would make a piss poor champion if he ever wins the belt and I doubt he would hold it for very long.

Johny has not come off good since his loss to GSP, saying stupid things like he was going 70% and this quote.

Seriously, he's going to question GSP's ability of handling being a champion? GSP was the UFC WW champion even before Johny even stepped into the octagon for the first time. He has won 11 title fights in a row since 2007, which is now tied with Anderson Silva for the record.

I don't think Johny could be half the champion nor an ambassador for the sport like GSP was.

I hope Johny can get back to how he was before the title fight soon. It seems like this loss has poisoned him in a way and could negatively affect him in his training if he dwells on it for too long. It's one thing to use it as more motivation (and I believe he deserves the rematch) but it's good to know where the line between beneficial and detrimental is. I get that it's hard as fuck not to though.

Johny will be back and will beat whoever they put in front of him.

I hope Georges makes his decision within the month. It would be extremely disappointing if he leaves the division in limbo when he is not injured.

Well, I was willing to accept his other shitty comments, but this officially puts me over the edge with Hendricks. Hendricks is an up and comer and he is going to compare his sacrifices to the most dominant ww champion ever. Gsp has held a belt longer than Hendricks has been in MMA! The more Hendricks opens his mouth, the more fans he continues to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Well, I was willing to accept his other shitty comments, but this officially puts me over the edge with Hendricks. Hendricks is an up and comer and he is going to compare his sacrifices to the most dominant ww champion ever. Gsp has held a belt longer than Hendricks has been in MMA! The more Hendricks opens his mouth, the more fans he continues to lose.
    And look there's more comments from Johny:

Morning Report: Johny Hendricks says hand wraps affected striking strategy against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 167
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/2...idman-mma-news

After being chided by UFC president Dana White for believing '70% power' 'was enough' to beat welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre at UFC 167, Johny Hendricks now says the fashion he chose to have his hands wrapped before the fight dictated his striking strategy throughout the bout. Speaking with The Dallas Morning News, Hendricks says the choice of a lighter hand wrap forced him to pick and chose his power shots.

I usually get a thick wrap and this time I didn't do that. Instead of me asking for a thicker wrap, I kept my mouth shut. It's my fault. That's on me. It means I hit hard enough that I can punch through the 4 oz gloves. So that's what made my hands get bruised. I couldn't punch as hard as I could (have). The more injured I get, the less I get to use it, the more he gets comfortable, so I had to tone down my power. I was still hurting at 70 percent. Wait till I get a full hand wrap. That only builds confidence, because I beat the pound for pound best fighter in the world. I will be back, and I will be stronger than before.
    Hendricks also admits he may have gaffed by allowing St-Pierre to stand up during the fourth round rather than continue scoring from the top position.

Yeah I did let him up. I was beating him everywhere I had him. He wasn't hurting me on the feet. I did some ground and pound. I showed the world I can do that. I want to win by knockout. I don't want to be the person who takes him down and is cautious. I want to make fans happy.
    (My grappling coach), he said, "you're 2-1 and best case scenario 3-0." They were giving me round-by round updates. We thought we had it in the bag.

Hendricks, of course, would go on to drop the split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47).

Agreed. GSP is the biggest name in the sport, and one of the most popular athletes in Canada. The fact he won sportnet's athelete of the year online poll in an olympics shows how big he up here. He beat out Crosby after scoring the game winning and was on one the best starts to a NHL season in a long time. He beat out athletes that had multiple gold medals. It was also one of GSP's least successful years, only fight twice. One fight was against Kos the other was Hardy.

The fact he had as much pressure on him for as long as he has and has been a consummate professional the entire time speaks volumes about how much character he has.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I don't think Johny could be half the champion nor an ambassador for the sport like GSP was.
    I didn't really care about the outcome of the fight before, I now have a vested interest in Hendricks NOT becoming champion. With spokesmen like him and dana, it would be absolutely terrible for progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I hope Georges makes his decision within the month. It would be extremely disappointing if he leaves the division in limbo when he is not injured.
    Right. Because we know exactly what's going on with Georges, and mental illness can't be as debilitating as whatever made Jones postpone facing Glover.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information