Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP retirement: I'm going crazy, can't sleep, have issues, and need to get away

That's the crazy world of MMA. You can kick a guy's ass for 25 minutes and still not win the decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

What a terrible role model. I love how people take these news articles out of context instead of waiting to watch the video to see the other 70% of communication which is non-verbal.
    Reading the article I thought that Hendricks was acting like a docuhebag, watching the video I just confirmed that.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Georges has a responsibility to his fans, Hendricks and more importantly himself. He's still in his prime and arguably lost his most recent fight. All the bullshit he's spouting about not sleeping is just whining and an excuse to walk away with his "legacy" intact. Hendricks has 3 kids, a wife and I'm sure a shot ton of other responsibilities yet he still does interviews, trains, does PR and fights. What a bullshit excuse. How would it look if I decide to take 2-3 years off work because I'm having trouble sleeping? Are commercials, music videos and short films gonna shoot themselves? It's his job grow a fucking pair Georges and if you want time off leave the belt take your asterix and let other men have their shot. For Christs sake he sounds like my stoner cousin with his self importance bullshit wanting everyone to drop everything so they can coddle him and hold his hand to his next job interview.

Seriously what happened to time where champions were tough and made of oak? They are supposed to represent the best of the best in mentality, personality, ability and physicality. Anderson and Cain are the only two that come to mind where they actively want to fight the best and have a no bullshit personality. Even when Cain lost to Dos Santos with a... torn bicep(was it?) he never said anything it was leaked from his camp.
    Last edited by somethindarker; 11-25-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    "After Overeem lands two knees, Fujita backs into the corner then sheepishly tries sneaking past. Alistair punches him back into the corner and lands a third knee that I swear lights on fucking fire before it impacts.". -cracked version of the climax of Fujita vs Overeem fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    I get nervous when I see security guards at Target.

Quote Originally Posted by somethindarker View Post
    Georges has a responsibility to his fans, Hendricks and more importantly himself. He's still in his prime and arguably lost his most recent fight. All the bullshit he's spouting about not sleeping is just whining and an excuse to walk away with his "legacy" intact. Hendricks has 3 kids, a wife and I'm sure a shot ton of other responsibilities yet he still does interviews, trains, does PR and fights. What a bullshit excuse. How would it look if I decide to take 2-3 years off work because I'm having trouble sleeping? Are commercials, music videos and short films gonna shoot themselves? It's his job grow a fucking pair Georges and if you want time off leave the belt take your asterix and let other men have their shot. For Christs sake he sounds like my stoner cousin with his self importance bullshit wanting everyone to drop everything so they can coddle him and hold his hand to his next job interview.

Seriously what happened to time where champions were tough and made of oak? They are supposed to represent the best of the best in mentality, personality, ability and physicality. Anderson and Cain are the only two that come to mind where they actively want to fight the best and have a no bullshit personality. Even when Cain lost to Dos Santos with a... torn bicep(was it?) he never said anything it was leaked from his camp.
    Are you actually serious???
    Do not forget that MMA fighters are normal human beings like you and me, do not expect them to be machines that can perfectly train 15 hours per day their whole life.

You talk as if GSP is a pussy and a coward, wtf are you talking about???
    It is obvious that his problems are much more than "little trouble to fall asleep at nights", another thing is that he does not want to reveal details of his personal life (which is absolutely understandable).

He has been training for many many years, he has been punishing himself in an insane way. I doubt that you would be able to endure for 1 month what he has been enduring for at least 15 years.
    Do not compare him to Hendricks because GSP was the UFC champion before Hendricks had his first MMA fight.
    Do not compare them in terms of PR because GSP has to do like a million more interviews and similar stuff than Hendricks.

You fail to realize that GSP, as any other MMA fighter is a normal human being. He is just very tired from all the years of insane training, plus he now has serious personal problems.
    It is very OK that he wants to take some time off to rest and recover. I would understand what you are saying if GSP had been fighting for 2 years or something like that. He had been fighting in MMA for 11 years, he has been champion for 6 straight years.
    GSP is one of the toughest fighters, both physically and mentally, and because he announced that he wants to take some time off it means that he is a pussy?

What do you mean by "Seriously what happened to time where champions were tough and made of oak?", you sound like some grumpy 75 year old man.
    You think that GSP is not tough?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

All the bullshit he's spouting about not sleeping is just whining and an excuse to walk away with his "legacy" intact. Hendricks has 3 kids, a wife and I'm sure a shot ton of other responsibilities yet he still does interviews, trains, does PR and fights. What a bullshit excuse.
    How long has Hendricks been doing this kind of PR? His last 2 maybe three fights? Gsp has been in the championship spot light for 6 or 7 years. Longer than Hendricks whole MMA career. Just because he did it once doesn't give him the right to compare his troubles to gsp's. It's apples and oranges.

How would it look if I decide to take 2-3 years off work because I'm having trouble sleeping? Are commercials, music videos and short films gonna shoot themselves? It's his job grow a fucking pair Georges and if you want time off leave the belt take your asterix and let other men have their shot. For Christs sake he sounds like my stoner cousin with his self importance bullshit wanting everyone to drop everything so they can coddle him and hold his hand to his next job interview.
    You do realize he is a profession athlete right? Comparing that to your desk job is laughable. It's been a few weeks, your acting like he has kept the belt for a whole damn year already. Neither of them are even cleared to fight yet.

What the hell are you talking about? Silva did pretty much the same exact thing GSP did after his last fight, except Silva gave into the pressure and came back. Silva is known for not taking rematches and saying people were not worthy of facing him. The only time GSP has not faced the #1 contender and picked his own fight was against Nick Diaz, who talked a ton of shit to him. Look at GSP's title defenses and then compare it to Cains or Silva's. Gsp has constantly fought top competition, anyone who says he hasn't, is talking out of their ass.
    Last edited by initial_zen; 11-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Nobody owes their health to another person(s). If you think other wise, it is completely hipocrical for you to complain about your cousin's self importance bullshit. You try getting punched in the face by Hendricks for 25 minutes. I am sure you wouldn't think you owe it to anybody to put yourself through that again. GSP has already had multiple major injuries that are going to affect him the rest of his life. He has dedicated as much time as any other MMA fighter to training and PR over the last ten years. He is the biggest star in MMA and of the biggest Canadian athletes. He has carried that pressure extremely well.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

You misspelled Silva, it should read like this...FEDOR. Seriously Mr. Darker, I know you know better. Silva is a disingenuous troll. Hendricks has done nothing but cry and complain since the fight. Would you hold him in higher regard than GSP? He's been the face of the UFC & MMA for a while now. GSP along with Ace were able to usher in a new fan base by dispelling the mouth breather myth. GSP only owes what he just paid. 100% effort in the octagon. He isn't responsible for Hendricks family situation either. He gave him an opportunity to win a fight. Hendricks lost, also not GSP's fault.

Amongst Hendricks, Jones, Dos Santos and Rousey it's hard to tell which one loves their self the most. Jones at least has his accomplishments to substantiate his self worth. Cain is a fine example though along with guys like Fedor, Sakuraba, GSP, Bendo or even Edgar. There are many other examples as well.

I don't particularly care for GSP, but he's been a great champion and an even better representative of MMA.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

I think the only thing Georges owes is a timely explanation--with a huge focus on timely.

If he's going to retire, he should make the announcement in a few weeks, no longer than another month or so. He should rest, do what he can to sort his head out, and then determine what his course of action is going to be.

If he retires, good for him.
    If he continues to fight, good for us.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

The only thing GSP owes anyone is letting us know if he is going to retire, just take an extended break (doesnt he always), or what he meant by hang it up for awhile. He doesnt have to tell us why, but he needs to let his intentions be known. He doesnt need to do it right away, take a month, like Riv said, think things through then make a dec.

Thread Information