Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: GSP retirement: I'm going crazy, can't sleep, have issues, and need to get away

Mr. Pasha K Cigano, I gotta to say already. That russian's spinning back kick is pretty horrible looking compared to most MMA fighters, let alone Brazilians. I laugh every time I see your comment above it.

Default Despite Reports Dana White Denies Apologizing To Georges St. Pierre

And the saga continues. UFC President Dana White, who had harsh words for Georges St. Pierre after St. Pierre decided he would take some time away from the sport, now denies ever having apologized to the champion for his comments.

St. Pierre’s long time mentor Krostof Midoux claimed that after the comments, White called St. Pierre to offer an apology. “Few people know it, but the next morning [White] called Georges and told him, ‘I’m sorry, I watched the fight again and you have indeed won. I spoke under the influence of emotion,’” Midoux said.
    Now Dana has told MMAJunkie’s John Morgan that this is not true.

“I have not watched the fight,” White said. “I still haven’t watched the fight. This guy [Midoux is] like one of the new Kardashian sisters. This guy pops up out of nowhere, and now he’s everywhere.”

“Realistically, I’m not forcing Georges to do anything, but Georges has to defend his title. He was off for over a year already with ACL surgery,” White added. “So if people have problems with it, I could [not] give a s*** if they like it or don’t. I don’t care what people’s opinions of that are.”

Read more at http://www.bjpenn.com/despite-report...to-georges-st-
    pierre/#USszKEUcMVyGVvbd.99
    "he was off for over a year already with ACL surgery" - yeah if you call rehabbing an ACL tear as "being off over a year" Dana makes it sound like Georges was off in the Bahamas kicking back with some hot girls and a few cold ones for the better part of a year and half.

3. 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Hector Lombard on ‘boring’ Jake Shields, GSP, alien abductions

Lombard also thinks welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre‘s head is filled with more than just strong emotions.

“He’s so scared of aliens coming up and taking him,” Lombard told MMAjunkie. “You have to be really messed up to think about all that stuff. Like honestly, I have a lot of respect for him and the stuff he’s done for the sport, but how can you think about an alien coming and going to take you? Are you kidding me or what? It’s stupid.”
    He joked that he liked the challenge of competing at 170 pounds despite appearing on the scale like an “alien.” Or, someone of much concern to St-Pierre, whose troubled mind has been the subject of much speculation since his controversial split-decision win over Johny Hendricks and troubled post-fight speech at UFC 167 this past month.

St-Pierre spoke earlier this year to Joe Rogan about his fear of extraterrestrials and abductions, which Lombard apparently latched onto.

“It doesn’t really matter to me, to be honest,” he said. “I just find it a little bit stupid. There’s no aliens, and they’re not coming here to take anyone. I haven’t seen it, and I will never see it.”
    The stakes of his next appearance might be the only subject where he’s not shooting from the hip. Everything else, it seems, is fair game.

“Up to this point, [St-Pierre] can do whatever he wants,” Lombard said. “He’s done a lot for the sport. There’s no point for me to go and criticize the man. What I do know is that I have to win my next fight and go from there.”

Justin Kingsley, Co-Author of GSP Book, Says Consider Context of Champ’s Remarks
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jus...-Remarks-60253

Kingsley on St. Pierre’s somewhat confusing remarks in the Octagon after the Hendricks bout: “I think, one, it’s a little surprising that you’ve got a guy who just fought maybe the biggest puncher in the UFC, at least in his division, and you get hit 85 times in 25 minutes -- I calculated that’s once every 18 seconds, by a pair of bricks -- and 30 seconds after he wins that fight and gets hit that many times, you expect a guy to be clear and have all his thoughts organized? I was frankly surprised by that interview and by Joe Rogan in the Octagon. I felt he kept pressing and pressing when Georges actually tried to retract and realize … my sense from looking at Georges was that he didn’t want to go too much into detail. He wanted to catch his breath and had just literally taken a beating and he pressed him, but then it just got worse after that.”

On the moment when St. Pierre seemed to want to take the microphone and say something but didn’t say it: “I think he was trying to calm people down. That’s how I feel about it. I saw him and I said, ‘He’s trying to get the microphone back.’ One, he hadn’t spoken in French, and he always tries to say something to his French fans, and two, I think he was just trying to calm everything down and instead he just got more pressure and more messages. My feeling is he realized, ‘Whoa, maybe I’m going a little bit further in this. I need to take a break. I need to get my thoughts together and organize what it is I want to say,’ because he realizes what he says is going to have a huge impact.”

On whether he’s noticed St. Pierre having any issues with his memory: “Have I gotten that sense from my interactions with him? Not at all. To be honest with you, I think Georges is one of the most brilliant people I’ve ever met. … I just haven’t seen that. What I have seen is yeah, after a fight and after a sporting event, there’s some moments that stand out. You can replay them in your mind in slow motion and you can slow things down. It’s like ‘NFL Films Presents,’ but there’s other stuff where you’ve got to see it to remember it to believe it. Again, this is a subject we deal with in the book. A lot of times Georges remembers some sequences of a fight very, very clearly, and others, he needs to watch it again.”

On Dana White’s comment that Hendricks won the fight: “I was shocked when I heard Dana White say what he said in the press conference. I was shocked. I was pretty disappointed. I think if he looks in hindsight now, I’d be curious for someone to sit down with him, watch the fight again and see if he’d still say the same thing. My feeling is he made a mistake. Even if he’d been right in fact, he had his greatest champion right there, and when the champion had finished his fight and had fought an unbelievably gruesome battle, instead of helping lift him up, he took a shot at him.

“I’m not sure that’s how Dana White wanted to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his league. I think it hurt the perception of his sport in terms of fans who are on the cusp, who are on the fence. I think it was hurtful. I think a week later, I’d be curious to know how he feels and if he’d still go the same route because it just doesn’t make any sense. I wondered. I’ll be honest with you, again I went back to why would he say this? How does he win? … I’m saying OK, this is an intelligent man. He has built the fastest growing sport in the world and built it globally with Lorenzo [Fertitta] and all those people at the UFC. How does he win by saying what he said? I couldn’t answer that question.”

Long time lurker - this fight drove me to finally post.

Saw it live, and felt GSP did win rounds 1, 3, and 5, but also thought Hendricks delivered a ton of damage. Found it on Youtube, rewatched it a couple times, and a strong case can be made for GSP winning round 2 as well. GSP starts and finishes the round much more active then Hendricks. At 4:14 of the round, GSP slips and rolls his ankle, which made it seem like he got rocked during the live fight. There was no rocking shot though, he was backing out of the way from a nuetralized attack and it looks like he just stepped wrong. For the next 20 seconds, Hendricks does land power shots, and had the ref not separated them, he probably would have landed more. The rest of the round, GSP peppers Hendricks with lots of clean jabs, a left hook, lands a right cross, and even a head kick relatively cleanly. Hendricks plays them all off (imo, going out of his way to play them off), but they landed.

So why so much outrage to the decision?

1) We simply aren't used to seeing GSP take ANY damage (at least not since BJ Penn 1, not counting the TKO from Serra), so it was shocking to see someone land shots on him. GSP usually domintaes every minute of every fight, so each time Hendricks landed, everyone at the restaurant I was watching went bonkers, just like Joe Rogan did. I assume that happened everywhere.

2) Joe Rogan had an extremely biased commentary, and whether we want to believe it or not, it is effective at swaying people, especially over a 5 rounder. I distinctly remember Joe going nuts over the knees to the thigh Hendricks delievered at a few points throughout the fight, but upon rewatching, they were insignificant. The fight on Youtube is in Spanish, but I still recommend you watch it on mute, as every body goes nuts anytime Hendricks lands anything - see point 1. I'm not saying people are sheep, but in a very competitive fight like this, when a commentator is so clearly in favor of one guy, the effect can't be overlooked.

3) As has been mentioned before, GSP's face cuts and bruises pretty easily - just watch the Shields fight. He definitely took some hard shots from Hendricks in rounds 2 and 4, but the damage on his face, imo, was much worse then the shots he took. Hendricks took numerous clean shots, but his face doesn't damage as easily, and GSP's strikes don't usually have a ton of power behind them. Additionally, GSP's shots tended to land on the jaw, whereas Hendricks was landing around the eyes and forehead.

Go on Youtube and search for "Polémica George St-Pierre vs Jonhy Hendricks" - it's in Spanish, but you should really watch it in mute anyway. See what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    Long time lurker - this fight drove me to finally post.

Saw it live, and felt GSP did win rounds 1, 3, and 5, but also thought Hendricks delivered a ton of damage. Found it on Youtube, rewatched it a couple times, and a strong case can be made for GSP winning round 2 as well. GSP starts and finishes the round much more active then Hendricks. At 4:14 of the round, GSP slips and rolls his ankle, which made it seem like he got rocked during the live fight. There was no rocking shot though, he was backing out of the way from a nuetralized attack and it looks like he just stepped wrong. For the next 20 seconds, Hendricks does land power shots, and had the ref not separated them, he probably would have landed more. The rest of the round, GSP peppers Hendricks with lots of clean jabs, a left hook, lands a right cross, and even a head kick relatively cleanly. Hendricks plays them all off (imo, going out of his way to play them off), but they landed.

So why so much outrage to the decision?

1) We simply aren't used to seeing GSP take ANY damage (at least not since BJ Penn 1, not counting the TKO from Serra), so it was shocking to see someone land shots on him. GSP usually domintaes every minute of every fight, so each time Hendricks landed, everyone at the restaurant I was watching went bonkers, just like Joe Rogan did. I assume that happened everywhere.

2) Joe Rogan had an extremely biased commentary, and whether we want to believe it or not, it is effective at swaying people, especially over a 5 rounder. I distinctly remember Joe going nuts over the knees to the thigh Hendricks delievered at a few points throughout the fight, but upon rewatching, they were insignificant. The fight on Youtube is in Spanish, but I still recommend you watch it on mute, as every body goes nuts anytime Hendricks lands anything - see point 1. I'm not saying people are sheep, but in a very competitive fight like this, when a commentator is so clearly in favor of one guy, the effect can't be overlooked.

3) As has been mentioned before, GSP's face cuts and bruises pretty easily - just watch the Shields fight. He definitely took some hard shots from Hendricks in rounds 2 and 4, but the damage on his face, imo, was much worse then the shots he took. Hendricks took numerous clean shots, but his face doesn't damage as easily, and GSP's strikes don't usually have a ton of power behind them. Additionally, GSP's shots tended to land on the jaw, whereas Hendricks was landing around the eyes and forehead.

Go on Youtube and search for "Polémica George St-Pierre vs Jonhy Hendricks" - it's in Spanish, but you should really watch it in mute anyway. See what you think.
    In all fairness to Rogan though, he even states, while him and Goldberg are talking at the end of the PPV that sometimes there view of the fight looks one way while they are calling the fight yet when he goes back and watches it to score it he actually scores the fight differently. He references the Jones Gus fight. He openly admits that watching the fight he thought Hendricks won but that watching it to give play by play and watching the fight to score a winner is 2 different things.

Rogan's commentary was so biased it affected how badly GSP's face was battered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Rogan's commentary was so biased it affected how badly GSP's face was battered.
    Ahhh the ole battered face argument.......*yawns*.........

Rogan's commentary clearly changed the outcome of the fight.

Rogan's perspective of reality from his position in the commentator's seat truly has the ability to manipulate the perception of a viewer.

/facetiousness

My point is that everyone has a different view of what is happening in a fight. Total objectivity is impossible in terms of calling a fight. I have never seen a commentator that was unable to provide a totally unbiased third person view of a fight at all times throughout his career or even for the entirety of an event.

Sometimes he may be overly on the side of one person, but to think that he can be on point at all times is even more absurd than what you accuse Rogan of.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 12-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

All I "accused" Rogan of was commentating with a bias for Hendricks. I think that's a fair assessment. I didn't suggest at all that it somehow changed the fight (gsp won), I suggested it caused many viewers to feel strongly that Hendricks won the fight.

On the whole, I like Rogan. Perhaps he was subconsciously biased for this one because he expected Georges to retire and he would have preferred to see the title change hands. Dunno, can only speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by scallas View Post
    All I "accused" Rogan of was commentating with a bias for Hendricks. I think that's a fair assessment. I didn't suggest at all that it somehow changed the fight (gsp won), I suggested it caused many viewers to feel strongly that Hendricks won the fight.

On the whole, I like Rogan. Perhaps he was subconsciously biased for this one because he expected Georges to retire and he would have preferred to see the title change hands. Dunno, can only speculate.
    No one ever said it wasn't fair. All I am stating is a lot of people are getting on to Rogan when he even admitted that he gets it wrong while calling the fight from time to time.

Thread Information