Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Chael Sonnen Feels Middleweight Is Where He Needs To Fight

  1. Default Chael Sonnen Feels Middleweight Is Where He Needs To Fight

    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/11/...eeds-to-fight/

    Chael Sonnen didn’t make any excuses Saturday night at UFC 167.

    In fact, he admitted that not even a first round TKO loss to Rashad Evans could wipe the smile off his face.

    “I don’t mean to be in such a good mood when I get beat, but I am so excited for tonight and had so much fun,” Sonnen said in regards to the UFC celebrating its 20th anniversary.
    Sonnen, who dropped to 1-3 in his last four, added that a return to middleweight is his best move going forward. He is slated to coach opposite Wanderlei Silva on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3.

    “I fought a guy better than me,” Sonnen said of Evans. “I have always struggled at 205 to get used to his weight. I feel like….I wasn’t suppose to win this fight. I can do better.

    “I have to go back to 185 where I can do my best work.”
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep down the rabbit hole.
    Posts
    7,311

    Default

    After getting steamrolled like that by one of the top LHW's, yes, that is a good idea.

    I was disappointed that the fight was so one-sided and quick.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Albany, In
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    I was disappointed that the fight was so one-sided and quick.
    Without a doubt. I felt he just gave it away and quit. Not saying Rashad wasn't going to win and continue with the beat down, just that Chael folded a little too easy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,504

    Default

    I've never been in the position but have often been told that when you can't even get your knees on the mat and are that badly back-mounted it is the absolute worst feeling in the world.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post
    Without a doubt. I felt he just gave it away and quit. Not saying Rashad wasn't going to win and continue with the beat down, just that Chael folded a little too easy.
    Sonnen did not even make that a competitive fight. I think Sonnen half assed it to avoid a war with Evans. Sonnen already has Wanderlei lined up and you no he wasnt going to take any chances getting injured and messing up the TUF Brazil plans.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Sonnen did not even make that a competitive fight. I think Sonnen half assed it to avoid a war with Evans. Sonnen already has Wanderlei lined up and you no he wasnt going to take any chances getting injured and messing up the TUF Brazil plans.
    That statement takes away every bit of credit from Rashad Evans' dominant performance. Rashad was clearly far more powerful than Sonnen and the better fighter that night. I believe disdain clouds your judgement a bit. Sonnen gave up because he could not get out of that position. Being back mounted in that manner is worse than the front mount. You cannot even see the punches coming in order to defend them. Not to mention the leg hooks Rashad had. Sonnen was either getting Donkey Kong'd to death or tap.

    Sonnen's chief aim was to go in there and be embarrassed? I don't think so.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 11-19-2013 at 04:27 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    That statement takes away every bit of credit from Rashad Evans' dominant performance. Rashad was clearly far more powerful than Sonnen and the better fighter that night. I believe disdain clouds your judgement a bit. Sonnen gave up because he could not get out of that position. Being back mounted in that manner is worse than the front mount. You cannot even see the punches coming in order to defend them.

    Sonnen's chief aim was to go in there and be embarrassed? I don't think so.
    Rashad did have a dominant performance on Saturday and I agree he is a better fighter who is more powerful than Sonnen.

    I do not think Sonnen's chief aim was to go get embarrassed but I do think Rashad's aggression broke Sonnen's will a bit early on Saturday night. I do think Sonnen folded a little to quick - and I dont mean once Evans took his back, I mean right from the take down to the tap. I think Sonnen was eager to get this fight over as it was a friend and he also has another very high publicity fight and season of TUF lined up.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    Rashad Evans put an ass whipping on Chael Sonnen because Rashad Evans is a much better fighter than Chael Sonnen. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?


  9. 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Rashad Evans put an ass whipping on Chael Sonnen because Rashad Evans is a much better fighter than Chael Sonnen. Simple as that.
    Agreed. I was hoping for a Chael victory but picked Evans in my pool. I think it would be very interesting to see Evans drop to 185 and make a run there. He certainly would be a threat to anyone in the division.
    Phil Baroni

    "I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

    Forrest Griffin

    "He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,472

    Default

    I guess I just expected more from Sonnen.



    And just for fun:
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •