Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After controversial UFC 167 loss, Hendricks vows to go 100 percent in rematch

1. Default After controversial UFC 167 loss, Hendricks vows to go 100 percent in rematch

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/17/afte...ierre-rematch/

LAS VEGAS – Dana White thinks Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre. He thinks GSP’s team, immediately after the fight, thought Hendricks beat the champ.

So you know Hendricks believes he won the fight.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) won an instantly controversial split decision against Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday.

After the fight, despite White, the UFC’s president, saying St-Pierre was headed to the hospital, the champ showed up to the post-event news conference in the middle of the event with his face showing perhaps more wear from the 25-minute war with Hendricks than it ever had before.

“My hands are busted up from hitting him in the face,” Hendricks said at the post-event news conference. “Look at his face and look at mine.”
    Perhaps more revealing, though, was Hendricks’ big reveal that in the fight, he was only hitting the champ with 70 percent power.
    “I really didn’t hit him that hard,” Hendricks said. “I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”
    White, though, was quick to dispute that, for obvious reasons.

“It wasn’t enough,” White told him. “You left it in the hands of the judges. You better give 100 percent next time.”
    And Hendricks couldn’t dispute that, with his boss leaving him stammering for a moment.

White wants to order up a rematch between the two, reiterating to MMAjunkie his belief that Hendricks won the fight. Just when that might be remains to be seen, especially in the fight’s aftermath, when St-Pierre said he is planning to take a leave of absence of sorts to work on some personal issues and “prove a point.”

But Hendricks insisted his goal of winning a title merely hit a bump in the road.

“Dude, I don’t care about Georges,” he said. “I beat him anyway. I just want the belt. That’s the only thing that’s motivating me. I need to get it. That’s my drive. I thought I got it tonight, but I guess I didn’t. There’s a lot of things I can pull from this fight, and I’m only going to get better. It was my first five-round fight, and I took it to the champ.”
    If a potential rematch does happen, “Bigg Rigg” may take White’s advice of not going anything but high gear against St-Pierre, who set a UFC record with his 19th win.

“If I get to see him in the ring again, it won’t go the distance,” Hendricks said. “I will finish him. I know I can go five rounds now.”
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I can see that in the rematch, he is going to come out guns blazing "Brock Style". I expect to see Anderson Silva do the same in his upcoming rematch; charge Leroy Jenkins!!! And end it fast and decisively.

Jonny won the fight. But it was stupid of him to say he only gave 70% effort. Dana was right to cut him off. How could he be so naive to MMA judging??

He didn't say he only gave 70% effort. He said was throwing 70% power into his strikes because it was his first 5 rounds fight and he wanted to conserve his energy.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

5. Default

Johny just sounds more and more like a ass clown through all of this.

You weren't 'really' trying to knock him out Johny? Well then what in God's name were you doing in there? You don't want to go all out? Give it your all? Well then you just lost the title and should go to the back of the line.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    He didn't say he only gave 70% effort. He said was throwing 70% power into his strikes because it was his first 5 rounds fight and he wanted to conserve his energy.
    Gotcha.

I think he meant 70% power, not effort. Didn't want to gas in a 5 rounder... His first. And his cardio had been criticized before... Smart to slow a little, but he shouldn't have left it to the judges. a lot of guy don't throw with 100% power...

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Johny just sounds more and more like a ass clown through all of this.

You weren't 'really' trying to knock him out Johny? Well then what in God's name were you doing in there? You don't want to go all out? Give it your all? Well then you just lost the title and should go to the back of the line.
    He's never been in a 5 round fight. He's simply trying not to blow his wad against a top level fighter with unbelievable conditioning. And since he didn't gas out, he knows he can go 5 rounds again and exert himself a little more in the earlier rounds.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Default careful what you wish for Dana/Hendricks

I feel the fight was close. and If Hendricks won by split it wouldn't bother me. The part that erks me is this damage to face shit. It's like Bj penn saying....look at his face...im fine. that is Ludacris. Homenik looked like the elephant man aafter aldo but could have pulled it off. Gsp is fair skinned and every mark show. againt diaz it was also obvious.
    Now I know people will argue that im Canadian and bias maybe so. Gsp was given the benefit of the doubt on this split. I JSUT DON'T FEEL LIKE IT WAS A ROBBERY. the Gustafson/jones fight was close and as much as it pains me Jones pull off a win.

Also..this 70 figure that Hendricks is throwing out there is so lame. To make it worse Dana telling him you better go 100 percent next time, please. they have a man crush on each other. People are dying to see champions fall. in this case...Gsp WILL win the rematch. His gameplan was horrible. trading with Hendricks. Gsp will have a plan for the next fight. took Hendricks 70% shots all night. Gsp will have confidence in his jaw in the next fight. Conguit floored him and couldn't finish and neither did Hendricks. Gsp will win the rematch as well. Gsp doenst know how to loose. he will study and come back stronger.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Maybe if Johnny put the effort into the last round that he did on the post fight victory celebration he would have actually won the fight.

I don't understand where the controversy is. Rounds 3 and 5 were clearly GSP, rounds 2 and 4 were clearly Hendricks. Round 1 is the only close round and GSP got a TD, a sub attempt and full mount. This scores huge the way MMA is judged regardless if he only had full mount for 2 seconds.

Thread Information