Thread: 1/2 the shots GSP has taken in the UFC were in last 3 fights

Default 1/2 the shots GSP has taken in the UFC were in last 3 fights

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...last-3-fights/

Since he first won the welterweight title, he's taken, in addition to who knows how many shots in training, 875 strikes in competition, per the official statistics, with nearly half—412—now having come in his last three bouts.

This January will mark GSP's tenth year in the UFC. At 32, if the level of competition is rising, and his skills at age 32 are diminishing, and the amount of punishment he is taking is accelerating, if he wants to retire rich and at the top, then perhaps now is the time.

GSP could and should go the way of Lennox Lewis. That decision was a gift. GSP could retire as champ.

GSP boxing coach: Hendricks 'doesn't know anything'
    Yahoo! Sports Kevin Iole spoke recently with Freddie Roach, sometimes boxing trainer for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. Roach related to Iole that he "pretty much came up with the game plan" that GSP used to win controversial split decision win over Johny Hendricks on Saturday night. The game plan was for St-Pierre to use a jab and an inside hook to shut down Hendricks left

Further, Roach said that GSP wants him in his corner for the next fight, and that schedule permitting, he would love to be there.

"[GSP] said, 'I'm not going to fight again unless you are in my corner,'" said Roach.

"This guy [Hendricks], he doesn't know anything, he just punches good with a big left hand. Pretty much with him, if you can stay away from that and nullify that, it's not that tough of a fight. Georges did it, and he had success with it when he did, but he didn't do it enough in the fight."

Roach's comments must be read within context. That is, Roach is not saying Hendricks knows nothing about MMA, but rather that in his opinion, Hendricks' boxing skills are limited, albeit potentially dangerous.
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...know-anything/

And the first 400 were in round one of the first Penn fight
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    GSP boxing coach: Hendricks 'doesn't know anything'

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...know-anything/
    Hendricks did quite alot of damage to the stalwart champion with mere "limited" skills.

"[GSP] said, 'I'm not going to fight again unless you are in my corner,'" said Roach.
    Can't help but view this as possibly blatant self-promotion; then again, the statement could be genuine truth.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 11-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.

For the past 3 years all I hear was GSP has no chin. His weakness is not being able to take a punch. Then he starts getting hit a lot by top competition and wins and its still not good enough.

I thought Hendricks won by a slight margin until I rewatched the fight again with the sound off. This is the only time that Rogan had me believing something that wasn't true. The only close round was round 1 and last time I checked in current MMA scoring a full mount counts for a huge amount of points even if its in that position for 2 seconds. Hendricks tapped too btw and GSP fell in round 4 gifting a tired Hendricks a round.

Thread Information