+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the Unpopular Case for Georges St-Pierre

Default Making the Unpopular Case for Georges St-Pierre

The sentiment on Twitter following Georges St-Pierre's highly controversial split decision title defense over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 on Saturday night was pretty consistent.

"Worst decision EVER," wrote former interim champion Carlos Condit, echoing the feelings of a plethora of fans and professional fighters alike, all of whom thought Hendricks did enough to warrant the nod.

From a quick glance, it certainly appeared as though Hendricks deserved the victory. St-Pierre's face was heavily busted up, while Hendricks looked fresh as a daisy.

But there's more to aesthetics than meets the eye.

Although UFC president Dana White only thought St-Pierre won the third round, most pundits agreed he also won the fifth.

In other words, this championship fight ultimately came down to the scoring of the opening stanza.

Before we go into greater detail about the fight, it's worth mentioning that half points could have potentially solved the problem. The rounds Hendricks unanimously won were certainly more decisive than the rounds edged to the champion.

Nonetheless, it was a spirited fight with the two gladiators trading rounds back and forth. Under Pride rules, there's no question Hendricks came out on top. Under the 10-point must scoring system, however, it becomes much more subjective.

In reality, this decision was no more controversial than Benson Henderson's wins over Frankie Edgar and Gilbert Melendez or Jon Jones' triumphant decision over Alexander Gustafsson this past September.

Let's take a closer look at the scoring of that pivotal first round.

St-Pierre came out sharp, quickly blasting through Hendricks with a power double-leg takedown. Hendricks answered back with a takedown of his own later in the round, but the pace was set by the champion, who also attempted a guillotine choke in the opening seconds.

In terms of striking output, St-Pierre landed 19 significant strikes in the round compared to Hendricks' 18, while Hendricks landed 27 total strikes compared to 26 from the champion.

No matter how you slice it, this was an exceptionally close round. Hendricks may have hurt St-Pierre more with his strikes, but the output and work rate were virtually identical.

It might be tainted logic, but you have to decisively defeat the champion to take his belt. Did Hendricks really do enough to put a stamp on the win?

I won't go into great detail about the rounds that followed because there seems to be widespread agreement about who won them. But there's no denying the possibility that the first round could have gone either way. In cases where only a few strikes separate the two fighters, the champion should get the benefit of the doubt. After all, St-Pierre has reigned atop the division since 2007 and controversial title changes run the risk of tainting the championship.

Visibly disappointed about the call, Hendricks was hardly humble in defeat, claiming that he clearly beat St-Pierre up and already considers himself the true champion.

With all due respect to the 30-year-old Oklahoma native, if he really thinks he deserved it that bad, then he would have clearly won more than two rounds. He arguably won three, but that's where interpretation gets tricky. The heavy-handed southpaw has every right to feel slighted after coming so close to winning the gold, but he should have taken a page of out St-Pierre's book. Win or lose, the champion is always classy. The right thing to do would have been to pay respects to St-Pierre for his gutsy performance, particularly with the possibility of impending retirement.

Hendricks will get another shot in due time, whether it's a rematch with St-Pierre or an interim title fight. But he should stop walking around like he positively beat the champion to a bloody pulp because it was a closer fight than he seems to accept. This time around, judges sided with the longtime champion, two of them scoring the bout 48-47 for St-Pierre with the third casting a dissenting 48-47 score for Hendricks.

Not only was the first round close, but St-Pierre actually outlanded Hendricks 101 to 85 in significant strikes over the course of five rounds, while scoring an additional takedown and attempting the fight's lone submission.

St-Pierre has overcome adversity time and time again. Hendricks presented an admirable challenge on Saturday night, but that's all it was. At the post-fight press conference, St-Pierre repeatedly stated he left everything in the cage.

A quintessential champion and now the record-holder for most UFC victories at 19, the story coming out of UFC 167 should be the possibility of one of the sport's true legends retiring for good after a valiant title defense. Rather than appreciating the legacy St-Pierre leaves behind and analyzing the future landscape of the division, all focus seems to have shifted to the judges and their seemingly controversial assimilation of the fight.

Like it or not, St-Pierre was the champion and he got the job done yet again. It was closer than ever, but that doesn't change the end-result.

Personal biases aside, St-Pierre is a true champion. If this was indeed the last we see of the 32-year-old French-Canadian phenom in the Octagon, we should be thankful for the memories he's left behind.

Regardless of how you scored Saturday's headliner, St-Pierre is still the greatest welterweight of all time. Before we get on his case about a decision he didn't control, it's about time we appreciate all the blood, sweat and tears he's left in the Octagon over the years.
    http://fightnetwork.com/news/43146:m...ges-st-pierre/

i think georges won rogan and dana were all on hendricks dick which blurred people's vision plus hendricks dominated the two rounds he clearly won so albeit doing more damage gsp won 1,3 and 5 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    i think georges won rogan and dana were all on hendricks dick which blurred people's vision plus hendricks dominated the two rounds he clearly won so albeit doing more damage gsp won 1,3 and 5 in my opinion.
    I agree people made it seem much worse than it actually was. I saw all of the commotion on the forums then watched the fight on sunday expecting GSP to get destroyed. I thought he won 3,5 Hendricks had 2,4 and 1 was a toss up. I actually had the fight scored as a tie. Hendricks did do much more damage in the rounds he won but it wasn't enough to score them a 10-8. So based on the scoring system I really didn't think it was a horrible decision.

Ya i also agree. Rogans and goldies commentary was pretty biased much of the fight. The production teams choice of what to show in replays between rounds was also pretty biased.
    Fav Fighters:
    - "The Phenom" Vitor Belfort
    - Renato "Babalu" Sobral
    - Georges "Rush" St. Pierre
    - Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski

Also just how unpopular was it? I seem to recall the crowd cheering loudly at the decision announcement and booing pretty loudly when johnny jumped on the mic and said he thought he won. I know GSPs a fan favourite but the crowd usually calls it how they see it fan favourite or not.
    Fav Fighters:
    - "The Phenom" Vitor Belfort
    - Renato "Babalu" Sobral
    - Georges "Rush" St. Pierre
    - Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski

This is what Xande Ribiero Posted on his facebook a few minutes ago. English isn't perfect, but you can get what he's saying. Sort of.
    Usually I don't comment about MMA and stuff , but this time I have to go and defend the Champ on this one.
    First my point on UFC Rules and Champ:
    UFC has created in this sport a way of the best athlete or else to have a chance to win, not the true fighter. 5 min rounds are terrible to judge, and even if u put 3 mma guys to judge will still be confusion so you can't hate what you have created so UFC can't be mad about it.
    The Champ, when you are the champ , to lose it , it has to be strip out of your Belt , period.
    The fight : Hendricks had won the crowd , the media and they all wanted the champ to lose, I though Hendricks had what to take to knock GSP out, and he HAD to hunt GSP.
    So what I saw was this.
    GSP was/is the champ and he had the INITIATIVE of the whole fight, AND he finished the 5th round super strong and willing to fight, and where was the challenger there to push.
    As far as takedowns, both were even, and for a super Wrestler like Hendricks he was morally beat on that one. Jiu Jitsu didn't have any, but a guillotine attempt, and ARM Drag from GSP and a kind of Kimura in the end.
    As of Hendricks, he clearly had more power than GSP and had more damage, yes, but don't think was enough to beat the champ, yeah, the cute boy was hurt and apparently Hendricks skin is too thick.
    On a note, he kept being punched for 100 times and nodded the head, showboating and in the last round, acted like he was singing and all showing some disrespect for all of UFC is about, and in the end didn't give the EXTRA to be the champ.
    The Fight i may give it to Hendricks, for damage, and maybe power, but in all other aspects Iam with the champ that won the Match.
    If UFC want real shit to happen, make longer rounds. take ground elbows away and allow knee on the ground. As for the rest, please respect The Champ, He looked for the fight, connect a lot, took down aaanndd was the aggressor in the end of 5th. So may GSP Still the UFC champ.
    Oss

Taking away ground elbows will prove the better fighter how? It is a legitimate technique.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcpherson21 View Post
    Also just how unpopular was it? I seem to recall the crowd cheering loudly at the decision announcement and booing pretty loudly when johnny jumped on the mic and said he thought he won. I know GSPs a fan favourite but the crowd usually calls it how they see it fan favourite or not.
    The crowd boo'd when GSP took the mic. Rogan had to spout a few words to calm the tides of discontent.

Rogan has also wanted to see gsp get beat ever since the second Penn fight. The way he compliments Gsp is even usually somewhat backhanded. Joe rogan used to talk about how the rubber guard (wich his best friend eddie bravo teaches to all of his students) was without a doubt the most effective guard in mma before gsp easily smashed through it in multiple fights. I try to listen to music while im watching fights because rogan and goldberg are just horrendous bit i had a couple buddies over to watch this fight so had to sit through that totally bias commentating.

I can't wait for the day PPVs come with the option of not having commentary.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information