+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belfort: My testosterone levels were low against Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Personally I think if there is a link to steroid abuse in the past there should be no possibility of a TRT use in order to continue to competing in the future. The person made a choice to use a PED where it's well known that a later effect in life is low testosterone levels.
    I may often disagree with you guys about the use of TRT, but this I 100% agree with
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

Personally I think if there is a link to steroid abuse in the past there should be no possibility of a TRT use in order to continue to competing in the future. The person made a choice to use a PED where it's well known that a later effect in life is low testosterone levels.
    I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Sometimes there are legitimate medical reasons to administer anabolic steroids, like with the repair of the body after treatment for cancer as an example. I'm also a big ol' softy and feel that even if someone got caught red handed juicing that they deserve a second chance, but only one second chance.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I think that would be a good policy for the UFC to enact.

Belfort: My best is yet to come
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...s-yet-to-come/
    Vitor Belfor has looked the best in ever has in his last three bouts, earning three consecutive highlight reel knockouts of top ten opponents. However, Belfort believes the best is yet to come:

"I’ll be even better when I return to the Octagon. I know it’s hard to believe that I can get even better than this, but I will. I’ve been training hard, and there are a lot of things that I haven’t done yet. My best is yet to come."

Belfort won’t let the fact that he lost to Silva change his mindset going into a new fight, in case Silva beats Weidman at UFC 168.

"It’s important that you accept the facts," he said. "He surprised me with a kick, and a true champion needs to accept what happened. We can’t control the results, but I can control what I will do about it. The last fight doesn’t mean that the next fight will end the same way."

All the more reason to do away with weight cutting if it means you are effecting the long term health of your body like that.
    I would be THRILLED if MMA did away with weight cutting.
    It wouldn't even be that difficult to do after a period of transition.

Henderson has been cutting weight for much longer with his wrestling career prior to MMA. For the early part of Belfort's career he was fighting at heavyweight and not cutting weight at all.
    He's still been cutting for about 15 years.

Who do you trust to establish and verify that link? The incredibly effective AC's who can't train effective judges and officials and who don't hold them accountable when they fail?

In Belfort's case, the court of public opinion is against him, but his story could well have been accurately portrayed by his statement of a supplement with 4-oht. You could also put down some of the resurgence in his career to the fact that his sister's situation was finally brought to resolution a couple years ago. It could be a more effective training due the the fact that he can focus more strongly without snakes in his head.

Again, I have to point out that I'm not seeing nearly the level of persecution regarding TRT when sonnen fights--and his case was clearly PED abuse rather than any even potential mistake of a supplement.

The simplest solution I see regarding TRT is for fighters to be tested throughout training camp on regular intervals that are so close together than that any abuse would register. I would have the fighter who has applied for TUE to pay for the testing themselves. You'd weed out a lot of abusers simply by the process and by the cost incurred, and would have a much better level of trust of the fighters who do comply.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/24/5...s-silva-2-in-a
    Vitor Belfort wants to fight winner of Weidman vs. Silva 2 in a Brazilian soccer stadium
    In an interview with Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting, Belfort discussed the rematch between Weidman and Silva as well as the locale that he would choose for his title shot.

"This fight will be in a soccer stadium," he said. "Whoever wins, I'm sure we can sell out Maracana or any other soccer stadium in Brazil. It would be really interesting."

"I know the UFC will come up with the best idea. They are really focused in Brazil right now. Globo is offering great fights for the Brazilians. I just want to enjoy my training. I will train focused on both, and focused on working my abilities."

I doubt Weidman will want to fight in Brazil versus Belfort if he wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I doubt Weidman will want to fight in Brazil versus Belfort if he wins.
    I dont think Weidman is the type to concern himself with those details.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I dont think Weidman is the type to concern himself with those details.
    After beating Anderson Silva twice, why would he?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    After beating Anderson Silva twice, why would he?

KnowhatImsayin'

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information