Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC working on adding a women's strawweight division

Default UFC working on adding a women's strawweight division

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ight-division/

UFC president Dana White appeared recently on the FoxSports.com podcast “The Fighter and the Kid." The show, just six weeks old, is hosted by UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub and comedian Bryan Callen.

On the show White revealed the future of little women's MMA.

"I’ll give you guys something nobody knows yet," said White as transcribed by MMASucka. "We’re actually working on bringing in another division for the women, which I said would never happen for a long time."

The UFC currently has a women's bantamweight (135 lbs) division. White was asked if the new division would be Featherweight (145, hello Cris Cyborg) or flyweight (125).

White's reply was unexpected.

"Neither," said White, adding "115 lbs."

Top strawweight women fighters include Jessica Aguilar, JoJo Calderwood, Carla Esparza, Ayaka Hamasaki, Felice Herrig, and Bec Hyatt. Although the majority of the world's top women fighters are contracted with Invicta FC, Invicta and the UFC have an excellent working relationship of long standing, and there is every expectation that the organizations would come to terms.

Odd division to add, but good for the 115 pounders.

I'm sure dimrules and pashak will bitch about it, among others.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Could be an interesting div. for the women. Opens up opportunities for a lot of fighters.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Odd division to add, but good for the 115 pounders.

I'm sure dimrules and pashak will bitch about it, among others.
    Im surprised you didnt have sum shitty ass cheesy one liner to sum things up as you usually do. Wmma sucks what do you expect me to do? Im sure ud be willing to drop 50$ on an all womens mma card since youre such a huge fan of it?

Quote Originally Posted by SMGRIFFIN View Post
    Could be an interesting div. for the women. Opens up opportunities for a lot of fighters.
    Certainly odd they didn't add the 125 or 145 divisions. Those have some good fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

The majority of the best female fights in the world fight in the 115lbs division. So it makes sense. 125 and 145 do not have the overall depth right now.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Michelle Waterson is on her way to the UFC. Even though she is 105, I doubt the UFC would not cash in on her.... appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Michelle Waterson is on her way to the UFC. Even though she is 105, I doubt the UFC would not cash in on her.... appeal.

That was the 1st thing that popped into my head.
    There's no way they'll let the hottest Female MMA fighter sit outside the UFC for too long.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

They're probably doing it for Roxanne Modafferi. She just seems like the biggest sweetheart on the planet and I don't know why the UFC wouldn't want her.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Skipping a division also helps reduce the problem of division jumpers and superfight questions. While those can be good for promotions, they can distract when you have only the two divisions and a small talent pool

Thread Information